PDA

View Full Version : The Challenge: Disinterested Critique

coberst
13th August 2006, 03:13 AM
The Challenge: Disinterested Critique

Says Goethe; “the little that is done seems nothing when we look forward and see how much we have yet to do”.

The challenge to criticism is disinterestedness! Why we can and should choose the path to DI (disinterestedness) is the discussion this OP will attempt to initiate.

Criticism can show DI by keeping aloof from the practical view of things; by the free play of the mind on all subjects upon which it touches. “Its business is,…simply to know the best that is known and thought in the world, and by in its turn making this known, to create a current of true and fresh ideas…and to leave alone all questions which will never fail to have due prominence given to them”.

The world is full of partisan and emotional criticism, right and left. It is filled with various sound bites and bumper stickers advocating nostrums that are promoted with bluff, bluster, and bravado. We, who are of the DI critical thinking mind, will remain disinterested to such malarkey and try to take the path less traveled. To take the path of disseminating truth as we can perceive it so as to lay a foundation for new ideas with new approaches to old problems.

The DI critique approach must recognize that its approach is long range resulting in significantly large rewards if successful. This approach creates and nourishes fresh new foundations for the structure of new ideas. This approach lays down a foundation of intellectual grounding that provides for a solid structure but, of course, it will be a painful activity because emotional rage seems to be the order of the day and that rage will express its anti-intellectualism by focusing attacks on those who seek to make a different way.

I think that such an approach must somehow foster an appreciation of the purely intellectual sphere that focuses attention on that which is excellent in human capacity.

Quotes and ideas from “Essays in Criticism” by Matthew Arnold 1822-1888

slingblade
13th August 2006, 06:23 AM
I know a million things, a billion things. I'm a veritable font of information. I read constantly, educate myself daily, have a brand new BA, and for what?

FOR WHAT? So I can be a freaking know-it-all who asks you if you want fries with that?

What good is knowledge to a defective human being, eh? EH?

Answer me that, Captain Obvious.

coberst
13th August 2006, 06:45 AM
Slingblade asks--"What good is knowledge to a defective human being, eh? EH?"

It depends on the nature of the defect. If it is a broken leg then it is no problem. If you think that there are no citizens in the US or in whatever country you may live in who cannot comprehend the message then you are mistaken.

Ichneumonwasp
13th August 2006, 06:57 AM
How can truly disinterested knowledge or critique be? Would we even notice it if it did exist? If we traipse down some path of thought is it not because of some form of interest that we have for the ideas? It doesn't matter if it has direct practical value in the workplace, our thought still follows paths that interest it.

coberst
13th August 2006, 08:26 AM
How can truly disinterested knowledge or critique be? Would we even notice it if it did exist? If we traipse down some path of thought is it not because of some form of interest that we have for the ideas? It doesn't matter if it has direct practical value in the workplace, our thought still follows paths that interest it.

This post is an example of disinterested knowledge. I have been posting such essays of disinterested knowledge for 30 months. Only after reading Arnold's book a few days ago did I have a name for what I have been doing all this while.

Ichneumonwasp
13th August 2006, 08:55 AM
Well, I think you're fooling yourself. "All human knowledge takes the form of interpretation.", so true. As interpretation, knowledge derives from a vantage. To seek knowledge independent of a vantage point is a fool's errand. If you for a moment think that you can find truly disinterested knowledge, then you are a danger to yourself and others. So thought the great villains of this and every age. My truth is the ultimate truth........