PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my peanut butter?

rebecca
14th August 2006, 08:44 AM
My peanut butter contains 100 calories for every two tablespoons - about 50% less than most other peanut butters. Each serving has 2.5 grams of fat, compared to about 16g in most others. There are 95 mg of sodium (4% DV), 13g of carbs (4% dv), 2g of sugars, 4g of protein. It has some Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron.

Here's the kicker: my peanut butter is yummy. I haven't done a side by side comparison yet, but I don't mind buying this over "normal" peanut butters.

BUT THERE MUST BE A CATCH. I live in fear of anal leakage, or sudden infant death syndrome, or perhaps good old peanut butter-induced cancer.

"How'd she go, she was so young!" they'll cry at my funeral.

"They say t'was . . . the PEANUT BUTTER."

Here are the ingredients, reproduced exactly as on the label:
Peanuts (as defatted peanut flour and natural peanut butter), tapioca syrup, pure water, dehydrated cane juice, rice syrup, vegetable glycerin, soy flour, salt, tapioca starch, natural flavors, paprika & annatto, calcium carbonate, lecithin, vitamins E & C (antioxidants).

The question I put to you now is: how will my peanut butter kill me?

Mojo
14th August 2006, 08:47 AM
The question I put to you now is: how will my peanut butter kill me?It will fall from a high shelf onto your head.

rebecca
14th August 2006, 08:49 AM
It will fall from a high shelf onto your head.

While it is true that the peanut butter jar contains one pound (16 oz) of peanut butter, I keep it in the refrigerator a mere two feet off the ground. Thank you for trying, though.

Also, this brings up another warning signal: the jar demands that it be placed in the refrigerator. I have never before kept peanut butter in the refrigerator. Something is fishy.

Jeff Wagg
14th August 2006, 08:54 AM
My peanut butter contains 100 calories for every two tablespoons - about 50% less than most other peanut butters. Each serving has 2.5 grams of fat, compared to about 16g in most others. There are 95 mg of sodium (4% DV), 13g of carbs (4% dv), 2g of sugars, 4g of protein. It has some Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron.

Here's the kicker: my peanut butter is yummy. I haven't done a side by side comparison yet, but I don't mind buying this over "normal" peanut butters.

BUT THERE MUST BE A CATCH. I live in fear of anal leakage, or sudden infant death syndrome, or perhaps good old peanut butter-induced cancer.

Peanuts (as defatted peanut flour and natural peanut butter), tapioca syrup, pure water, dehydrated cane juice, rice syrup, vegetable glycerin, soy flour, salt, tapioca starch, natural flavors, paprika & annatto, calcium carbonate, lecithin, vitamins E & C (antioxidants).

I don't know, but "dehydrated cane juice" sounds so much worse than "sugar." Then there are those mysterious "natural flavors." Arsenic? Cyanide? Who can say? They say cyanide smells like almonds.. almonds are sort of like peanuts..

Enjoy.

tkingdoll
14th August 2006, 08:55 AM
Uh...Rebecca...what's that growing on your skin? Looks kinda like a hard, mottled shell....OH DEAR GOD!

hgc
14th August 2006, 08:58 AM
rebecca, I'm glad you like your peanut butter, but that ingredient list makes me sad. I like natural peanut butter (Smucker's) because it just tastes better. Their regular creamy, 2 tbsp, has 16g fat (2.5g saturated) and only 6g carbs (1g sugar). That's 210 calories. They also have a reduced fat version, but the calories are practically the same.

How will your peanut butter kill you? If it's too sticky, it'll lodge in your throat and you'll asphyxiate. If you rub it all over your body, you'll be eaten by bears. If you shampoo with it, it'll seep into your brain. The biggest threat to your health, really, is the Wonder Bread you're spreading it on. Eat it right off the spoon like I do!

ponderingturtle
14th August 2006, 09:00 AM

Looks like they removed peanut oil and replaced it with water and thickeners and such. So it is a more processed food, but does not look to have anything that jumps out at me. They just put in other viscous fluids in for the peanut oil and partialy hydrogenated vegitable oil(to keep the oil from seperating), normaly in peanut butter.

rebecca
14th August 2006, 09:17 AM
rebecca, I'm glad you like your peanut butter, but that ingredient list makes me sad. I like natural peanut butter (Smucker's) because it just tastes better. Their regular creamy, 2 tbsp, has 16g fat (2.5g saturated) and only 6g carbs (1g sugar). That's 210 calories. They also have a reduced fat version, but the calories are practically the same.

I'm sorry my unnatural peanut butter makes you sad. It makes me happy because it has half the calories of yours so I can eat twice as much.

Also, thank you for reminding me to add the fact that my peanut butter contains no saturated fat and no cholesterol. 20 of the calories come from fat.

The biggest threat to your health, really, is the Wonder Bread you're spreading it on.

That's a good guess, but I am actually scooping it out of the jar using celery stalks. Further guesses as to how my peanut butter will kill me should focus primarily on the unholy peanut butter and not its means of conveyance.

rebecca
14th August 2006, 09:18 AM
Looks like they removed peanut oil and replaced it with water and thickeners and such. So it is a more processed food, but does not look to have anything that jumps out at me. They just put in other viscous fluids in for the peanut oil and partialy hydrogenated vegitable oil(to keep the oil from seperating), normaly in peanut butter.

Interesting. This certainly sounds like a benefit, but surely there must be some evil behind it, or else all the peanut butter companies would do it.

Oh, and another fact for everyone to take into consideration when calculating how my peanut butter will kill me: my peanut butter is smooth, not chunky. I did not see a chunky option.

SteveGrenard
14th August 2006, 09:33 AM
Since you PB is so yummy why arn't you telling is which one it is?

ponderingturtle
14th August 2006, 09:36 AM

How will your peanut butter kill you? If it's too sticky, it'll lodge in your throat and you'll asphyxiate. If you rub it all over your body, you'll be eaten by bears. If you shampoo with it, it'll seep into your brain. The biggest threat to your health, really, is the Wonder Bread you're spreading it on. Eat it right off the spoon like I do!

Also with the reduced fat, you will get different results if you bake with it

ponderingturtle
14th August 2006, 09:38 AM
Interesting. This certainly sounds like a benefit, but surely there must be some evil behind it, or else all the peanut butter companies would do it.

Oh, and another fact for everyone to take into consideration when calculating how my peanut butter will kill me: my peanut butter is smooth, not chunky. I did not see a chunky option.

You can always make it chunky yourself, put some peanuts in the food processor and break them up a bit and mix them in, that is how all chunky peanut butter is made.

As for why everyone doesn't do this, well it is a much more engeneered product and so has many more steps in it so it would be more expensive to produce.

rebecca
14th August 2006, 09:40 AM
Since you PB is so yummy why arn't you telling is which one it is?

I didn't want to be accused of shilling, but if you're curious: it's called Better'n Peanut Butter and it can be found at Trader Joe's for $3.69.

rebecca
14th August 2006, 09:41 AM
Also with the reduced fat, you will get different results if you bake with it

Good point, though I've never baked with peanut butter in my life. And now I never will.

Jorghnassen
14th August 2006, 09:42 AM
Some mad scientist will make an artificial peanut allergy plague that'll wipe out all the peanut butter eaters of the world.

/cretons are so much better than peanut butter anyway, in every way.

jon
14th August 2006, 09:57 AM
Sadly, checked the nutritional info on the peanut butter (plain ground peanuts) in my fridge. Looks like your butter has less protein (mine is 28% protein), but also less calories... Does yours fill you up as much as 'normal' peanut butter?

The way your peanut butter will kill you is when you find and swallow the one chunk of peanut they missed ;)

ponderingturtle
14th August 2006, 09:59 AM
Good point, though I've never baked with peanut butter in my life. And now I never will.

On the whole it seems best to not think of your peanut butter as peanut butter, but rather peanut flavored sandwich spread.

rebecca
14th August 2006, 12:18 PM
Sadly, checked the nutritional info on the peanut butter (plain ground peanuts) in my fridge. Looks like your butter has less protein (mine is 28% protein), but also less calories... Does yours fill you up as much as 'normal' peanut butter?

The way your peanut butter will kill you is when you find and swallow the one chunk of peanut they missed ;)

The peanut butter appears to fill me up rather well, though it's tough to tell because just after eating it I had a giant slice of cake and a piece of fudge.

On an unrelated note, I think I'm going to barf.

edited to add for Lisa Simpson:

rebecca
14th August 2006, 12:19 PM
Also, I don't know what 28% protein means. How many grams is that?

casebro
14th August 2006, 12:28 PM
Sounds to me like they have found a marketing gimmick to sell the leftovers after making peanut oil. You know, that "defatted peanut flour" that was previously sold to the pig farmers? The comparably lower protein content is probably due to the dilution of all the additives like DihydrogenOxide, tapioca and other sludge. It sounds about as natural as modern ice cream, what with all those gums and starchs that were NOT in my ganny's recipe.

Hey, If I want to eat gums and starches, I'll buy a bag of Gummi Worms, lots more fun.

ponderingturtle
14th August 2006, 12:37 PM
Sounds to me like they have found a marketing gimmick to sell the leftovers after making peanut oil. You know, that "defatted peanut flour" that was previously sold to the pig farmers? The comparably lower protein content is probably due to the dilution of all the additives like DihydrogenOxide, tapioca and other sludge. It sounds about as natural as modern ice cream, what with all those gums and starchs that were NOT in my ganny's recipe.

Like I said it really isn't peanut butter, but peanut flavored sandwich spread

Almo
14th August 2006, 12:56 PM
Several-year-old peanut butter is horrible. Don't ever eat any.

ZirconBlue
14th August 2006, 01:09 PM

I've been using Smart Balance Peanut Butter. It contains "Peanuts, natural oil blend (flaxseed and palm fruit oils), salt, molasses". It still has 200 calories and 17g of fat, but those are broken down into:

2.5g saturated
2g polyunsaturated
12g monounsaturated fats (1000mg of Omega-3)

Plus 6g of carbs and 7g of protein. Complete Nutrition label can be found here (http://www.smartbalance.com/images/nutrition_facts/SmBalPeanutButter.gif). It tastes good, has no transfats, and doesn't require refrigeration.

ponderingturtle
14th August 2006, 01:15 PM
I've been using Smart Balance Peanut Butter. It contains "Peanuts, natural oil blend (flaxseed and palm fruit oils), salt, molasses". It still has 200 calories and 17g of fat, but those are broken down into:

2.5g saturated
2g polyunsaturated
12g monounsaturated fats (1000mg of Omega-3)

Plus 6g of carbs and 7g of protein. Complete Nutrition label can be found here (http://www.smartbalance.com/images/nutrition_facts/SmBalPeanutButter.gif). It tastes good, has no transfats, and doesn't require refrigeration.

Does it seperate much?

fuelair
14th August 2006, 01:51 PM
Does it seperate much?28% protein means if your Pb weighs 16 ounces then 4.5 ounces are protein.

Refrigerate to prevent seperation and (no preservatives) decay and rancidity.

Under normal circumstances you should have no death fears from it.

Starthinker
14th August 2006, 01:54 PM
I just buy raw peanuts and chew them until they are suitable for spreading on bread.

Dazed
14th August 2006, 02:22 PM
What's wrong with wonderbread?

Wait.. Do I even want to know this?

Ririon
14th August 2006, 02:51 PM
*Ririon looks at the ingredient list on his own peanut butter*:

100 % peanuts.

Short and sweet. No worries.

Now, if I could only find some grape jelly (or even strawberry jelly) in this country. :)

hgc
14th August 2006, 03:06 PM

Wait.. Do I even want to know this?It's best to get your carbs packaged with fiber. Whole grain bread is the way to go.

CriticalThanking
14th August 2006, 03:09 PM
Now, if I could only find some grape jelly (or even strawberry jelly) in this country. :)What - you don't like lingonberries? Or whatever small, tart berries grow there in the 5 minutes of summer? ;)

CT

ZirconBlue
14th August 2006, 03:22 PM
Does it seperate much?

Very little. I think the palm oil keeps it all together. It specifically says on the label it doesn't require refrigeration. I love the taste of the 100% peanut stuff, but you either have to choose the hassle of stirring forever to reincorporate it or the hassle of trying to spread cold peanut butter. The Smart Balance stuff occasionally gets a little bit of oil that needs to be stirred in, but nothing like "natural" peanut butter.

Wowbagger
14th August 2006, 03:27 PM
it's called Better'n Peanut Butter and it can be found at Trader Joe's for $3.69.
Yes, I've had that peanut butter! And I can tell you, from experience, exactly how it will end up killing you! (If you are ready to hear this):

You are going to get so hopelessly addicted to this peanut butter, that you will insist on eating nothing else, besides it! You will ultimately die from malnourishment, but your corpse will probably eventually spawn a peanut tree or two.

I've seen it happen. It's not pretty. But I'm afraid that shall be your fate, unless you are immortal like I am.

RSLancastr
14th August 2006, 03:35 PM
I was going to start a parody thread titled "What is wrong with my William Shatner?" but decided it would be too "inside."

jon
14th August 2006, 04:01 PM

per hundred grams, there's 28g protein, 51g fat and 13g carbohydrate. Not entirely sure how many grams of peanut butter are in a tablespoon...

jon
14th August 2006, 04:08 PM
*Ririon looks at the ingredient list on his own peanut butter*:

100 % peanuts.

Short and sweet. No worries.

Now, if I could only find some grape jelly (or even strawberry jelly) in this country. :)

I know, I somehow feel that because my peanut butter's pure peanuts it's relatively healthy. More than half fat, though, and a good amount of carbs on top of that :D Compared to that, streaky bacon or belly pork is probably fairly lean; not so good with banana, though...and I was wanting to put on some weight anyway :D

Mojo
14th August 2006, 04:10 PM
Something is fishy.That would be the salmon jerky.

rebecca
14th August 2006, 04:30 PM
I'm fascinated by how many skeptics here buy into the whole "natural" versus "unnatural" thing -- I like eating things with just a few ingredients, too, but in this case my peanut butter has a crap load of ingredients but none of them are apparently deadly, it tastes delicious, contains less fat and calories than any other peanut butter, and still it's somehow not as good as just pure peanuts. WTF!

And Mojo: LET IT GO! The salmon jerky is delicious.

At least Wowbagger understands.

ponderingturtle
14th August 2006, 06:16 PM
Very little. I think the palm oil keeps it all together. It specifically says on the label it doesn't require refrigeration. I love the taste of the 100% peanut stuff, but you either have to choose the hassle of stirring forever to reincorporate it or the hassle of trying to spread cold peanut butter. The Smart Balance stuff occasionally gets a little bit of oil that needs to be stirred in, but nothing like "natural" peanut butter.

Oh yea if I remember correctly palm oil is the only fully saturate fat that is liquid at room temperature, that might have something to do with it.

Terry
14th August 2006, 06:19 PM
Also, thank you for reminding me to add the fact that my peanut butter contains no saturated fat and no cholesterol. 20 of the calories come from fat.

No peanut butter has cholesterol. Unless the adulterate it with lard or something in this weird-ass country I seem to have moved to...

Hamradioguy
14th August 2006, 08:05 PM

Aflatoxin! Can't recall the risk of this but it's real. I used to compare the risks of eating peanut butter to living next door to a nuclear plant. The PB risk was significantly higher. (A fact I never fail to mention when purchasing my favorite freshly ground PB from the local health food store. The checkout folks hate to see me coming their way.....)

Beleth
14th August 2006, 09:27 PM
I didn't want to be accused of shilling, but if you're curious: it's called Better'n Peanut Butter and it can be found at Trader Joe's for $3.69.
Is that the stuff that has the consistency of slightly runny Marshmallow Fluff or am I thinking of a different PB substitute?

CaveDave
15th August 2006, 01:07 AM
My peanut butter contains 100 calories for every two tablespoons - about 50% less than most other peanut butters. Each serving has 2.5 grams of fat, compared to about 16g in most others. There are 95 mg of sodium (4% DV), 13g of carbs (4% dv), 2g of sugars, 4g of protein. It has some Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron....
<SNIP>
...Here's the kicker: my peanut butter is yummy. The question I put to you now is: how will my peanut butter kill me?

It will be because you WORRIED yourself to death.

Chill out.... Relax... Enjoy your food... Take life as it comes...

Grow Peace in your soul...:)

Cheers,
Dave

CaveDave
15th August 2006, 01:23 AM
... I am actually scooping it out of the jar using celery stalks....

Haven't you heard?

Celery kills!!

All persons who ate celery during the Civil War are DEAD now...

All persons who have ever eaten celery will DIE also...

Celery == Nasty death... Inevitable...

Dave

CaveDave
15th August 2006, 01:32 AM
... appears to fill me up rather well, though it's tough to tell ...
... I think I'm going to barf.

Portland cement would have a similar effect...:D

Dave

CaveDave
15th August 2006, 01:36 AM
(28/100)*Q

Q=amount you ate.

DUH...

Dave

alfaniner
15th August 2006, 06:41 AM
The Krema stuff is really good. Especially the hot and spicy kind (mixed with cayenne pepper). Sometimes when I run out I make my own.

Ririon
15th August 2006, 11:23 AM
What - you don't like lingonberries? Or whatever small, tart berries grow there in the 5 minutes of summer? ;)

CT
Love them, but what is a PBNJ without grape jelly? No grape jelly, and only strawberry jam, which is fine, but completely fails to be jelly.

jon
15th August 2006, 04:14 PM
I'm fascinated by how many skeptics here buy into the whole "natural" versus "unnatural" thing -- I like eating things with just a few ingredients, too, but in this case my peanut butter has a crap load of ingredients but none of them are apparently deadly, it tastes delicious, contains less fat and calories than any other peanut butter, and still it's somehow not as good as just pure peanuts. WTF!

And Mojo: LET IT GO! The salmon jerky is delicious.

At least Wowbagger understands.

I tend to shop in the local market, which predisposes me to go for 'natural' food: the choice is limited to either that or the type of 'bad' unnatural food that is flogged off cheap in market stalls cause the supermarkets can't shift it. I'm sure I could get better unnatural food if I walked to a supermarket...but laziness triumphs here ;) Buying natural foods also means you often don't even get an ingredients label, so no need to bother checking that - and if I'm eating streaky bacon or black pudding, I really don't want to know how much saturated fat, salt etc. I'm getting through :D

In terms of peanut butter, the 'problem' with yours might be if you can eat more of it than the 'natural' stuff - I find that the 100% peanut stuff is rich enough that I can only get through about a dessert spoon of the stuff. If I got your unnnatural peanut butter, would I be able to manage the jar :D

Hm, salmon jerky. Like beef jerky made with salmon?

Wowbagger
15th August 2006, 04:56 PM
At least Wowbagger understands.To this day, I still cough up a peanut tree sapling, every-so-often, as they sprout in my alimentary canal. That peanut butter would have killed me, if I wasn't so gosh-darn immortal.

PygmyPlaidGiraffe
15th August 2006, 05:23 PM
rebecca, does your peanut butter ever stick to the roof of your mouth after you consume 12oz or more in one sitting? you could suffocate if you have forgotten how to breath through your nose. Mouth breathers are doomed if they eat 13oz or more of peanut butter in one sitting.

got milk?

Eos of the Eons
15th August 2006, 06:56 PM
Hey, that peanut butter is all natural wholesome goodness. Don't you know the leading cause of death is natural causes? You'll eat wayyy to much and get all obese, and naturally that will kill you.

bwahaaaaaa!!!

Do I win yet?

Smart_Cookie
15th August 2006, 07:05 PM
My sister sent me a strange mix of presents in the mail recently. She knows I'm trying to lose weight, so she sent some sugar-free treats, but she also sent 3 jars of this really neat peanut butter. The brand is "All Natural Peanut Butter & Co" - in the following flavors:

Dark Chocolate Dreams - peanut butter blended with rich dark chocolate

Cinnamon Raisin Swirl - peanut butter blended with cinnamon & raisins

and

White Chocolate Wonderful - peanut butter blended with sweet white chocolate

I think she's trying to kill me!

(or keep me fat - one of the two)

:D

qayak
15th August 2006, 07:21 PM
The Skippy squirrel is going to come over and murder you in your sleep because of your betrayal. :jaw-dropp

Eos of the Eons
15th August 2006, 07:25 PM
The Skippy squirrel is going to come over and murder you in your sleep because of your betrayal. :jaw-dropp

Oh that's so not realistic, unlike my scenario, neener neeeeeener...

Math Maniac
15th August 2006, 07:54 PM
I know at least one explanation: "Peanut Butter" is neither made from nuts, nor is it butter!

Maybe the manufacturer, then, uses the term loosely, and therefore has a very different caloric content than other varieties.

TjW
15th August 2006, 08:04 PM

16 ounces = 453.59237 grams.
.28 x 453.59237 = 127.0058636
So, about 127 grams of protein per pound of Quasi-Peanut Butter.

Mercutio
15th August 2006, 08:28 PM
Aflatoxin! Can't recall the risk of this but it's real. I used to compare the risks of eating peanut butter to living next door to a nuclear plant. The PB risk was significantly higher. (A fact I never fail to mention when purchasing my favorite freshly ground PB from the local health food store. The checkout folks hate to see me coming their way.....)
Somewhere I have an article on that...and the fun thing is, the more "natural" the peanut butter was (less processed), the more aflatoxin was present.

ZirconBlue
16th August 2006, 06:56 AM
To this day, I still cough up a peanut tree sapling, every-so-often, as they sprout in my alimentary canal. That peanut butter would have killed me, if I wasn't so gosh-darn immortal.

[stage whisper]
Psssst! Peanuts don't grow on trees. They're legumes.
[\stage whisper]

Old man
16th August 2006, 07:52 AM
[stage whisper]
[\stage whisper]

The Papilionoideae is the largest of the three subfamilies with about two-thirds of all the genera and species of the family.

The majority of the species are herbaceous, although there are some trees :rolleyes: and shrubs, e.g. Laburnum and Gorse (Ulex).

The Papilionoideae contains most of the important leguminous crop species such as the ... Peanut (Arachis hypogaea).
Bolding mine.
From
http://www.ildis.org/Leguminosae/
Still, I've yet to see a peanut tree!;)

Almo
16th August 2006, 01:59 PM

Wait.. Do I even want to know this?

What ISN'T wrong with Wonder Bread!?!? :confused:

Ririon
16th August 2006, 02:24 PM
16 ounces = 453.59237 grams.
.28 x 453.59237 = 127.0058636
So, about 127 grams of protein per pound of Quasi-Peanut Butter.
Grams per pound??? That calls for a collection of bananas:
:Banane54: :bananalama: :Banane22: :Banane45:

Ryan O'Dine
16th August 2006, 04:01 PM
You sure they arenít using "packing" peanuts? Might explain why they need all that crapola.

Wowbagger
16th August 2006, 05:01 PM
[stage whisper]
[\stage whisper]Then what the heck have I been coughing up?!

Oh, I gues they are just peanut plants, then.

ysabella
16th August 2006, 08:29 PM
You sure they arenít using "packing" peanuts? Might explain why they need all that crapola.

Snerk! Good one!! :p

Side note: my mother calls packing peanuts "ghost poos."

Ryan O'Dine
17th August 2006, 05:58 AM
Snerk! Good one!! :p

Side note: my mother calls packing peanuts "ghost poos."

If, while eating the stuff, rebecca gets otherwise unexplainable urges to cram delicate pieces of glassware in her mouth, then I think my theory is valid.

RenaissanceBiker
17th August 2006, 06:18 AM
Oh, peanut butter has many ways to kill it's victim. There are many warning signs, though. One common one is stealing your identity. It will begin to mimic your dress and mannerisms. Then, one day you are typing away at your computfchnw8 fv vfAEVAEFEW33E3E3EL,;