PDA

View Full Version : Family faces eviction for loud prayer

hgc
18th August 2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah, a family in Berlin, which likes to start praying at 2:30 AM, and can be heard from their 2nd floor apt up to the 5th floor, are being put out.

"I really don't want to disturb the neighbors but the high volume is needed in the battle against the devil," Pierre D., the 42-year-old father of the Christian family, told Bild newspaper. He is fighting an eviction order in court.
Would it make any sense to ask how he knows you have to shout to fight the devil? Well, that kind of thinking could lead to all manner of disbelief. Best to just not say a thing, and kick them out on their arses.

Freethinker
18th August 2006, 11:56 AM
Would it make any sense to ask how he knows you have to shout to fight the devil?

God is hard of hearing.

KingMerv00
18th August 2006, 11:58 AM
"If you don't stop praying, I'll give you something to prayer about!!!!!"

Piscivore
18th August 2006, 12:05 PM
Would it make any sense to ask how he knows you have to shout to fight the devil?

Satan borrowed his iPod and filled it with death metal.

Dark Jaguar
18th August 2006, 01:39 PM
These idiots aren't fooling anyone. They love the attention, they love the drama. They like the idea that it's them against "the world" and they are fighting for their love of their god against everyone else trying to tell them it's wrong and evil.

The reality is they are shouting mindlessly in the middle of the night and keeping everyone else up. There's no reason why high volume is required except that it's not enough for them to keep their religion to themselves, they need to make other people acknowledge their existance so they can feel important.

Meffy
18th August 2006, 01:56 PM
Aren't there admonitions in the Bible NOT to do this kind of ostentatious, pretentious grandstanding?

drkitten
18th August 2006, 01:59 PM
Aren't there admonitions in the Bible NOT to do this kind of ostentatious, pretentious grandstanding?

They're not really part of the Bible. Any more than the "turn the other cheek" or "love thy neighbor" or "vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord" parts are.

TragicMonkey
18th August 2006, 02:01 PM
The simplest solution would be to redirect their religious ardor into one of the silent orders. Trappists rarely get noise complaints.

Meffy
18th August 2006, 02:26 PM
They're not really part of the Bible. Any more than the "turn the other cheek" or "love thy neighbor" or "vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord" parts are.

I'm pretty sure I've seen quotations from the conventional Christian Bible that called foul on exhibitionistic displays of piety. Just can't recall where. Maybe I misrecall, that could be.

Piscivore
18th August 2006, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen quotations from the conventional Christian Bible that called foul on exhibitionistic displays of piety. Just can't recall where. Maybe I misrecall, that could be.

Matthew 6:5-6: (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=6&version=9)
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Meffy
18th August 2006, 03:20 PM
There! Thank you. I tried searching text files of the KJV but didn't use appropriate keywords and turned up nothing.

I suppose the loud prayer people weren't standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the street. But they sure weren't praying in secret. :-D

Azure
18th August 2006, 05:28 PM

Indeed there is.

I gotta say though, pretty funny stuff. :D

Foster Zygote
18th August 2006, 07:54 PM
I had some neighbors like that once. Young married couple, very spiritual by the sound of them. Most nights they'd go on praying for hours. "OH GOD! OH GOD! DON'T STOP! OH GOD!!!" Very annoying.

Steven

Beerina
19th August 2006, 05:31 AM
Yeah, a family in Berlin, which likes to start praying at 2:30 AM, and can be heard from their 2nd floor apt up to the 5th floor, are being put out.

Would it make any sense to ask how he knows you have to shout to fight the devil? Well, that kind of thinking could lead to all manner of disbelief. Best to just not say a thing, and kick them out on their arses.

Ya know, if after this life is over, there's a debriefing period, I hope these people are seriously embarassed at what they did.

brodski
19th August 2006, 05:33 AM
Trappists rarely get noise complaints.Except after they've been out on the piss.
:p