PDA

View Full Version : Help with Java

Druid
28th August 2006, 04:34 AM
Hi,

I am looking for a little help with a Java quiz See Quiz (http://www.theskepticexpress.com/StartQuiz.htm).

It was created using the Hot Potato program.

At the min all it does is give whoever takes the quiz their score but what I'd like it to do is a statisical analysis of all participants, so that it shows scores, avg score, what was the hardest/easiest question etc.

The source files can be edited to do this but i dont have any knowledge in Java so have no clue where to start.

Is there anyone out there who can HELP!!!!!

Druid.

Angus McPresley
28th August 2006, 05:53 AM
Honestly, what Hot Potato seems to output (technically, more JavaScript than Java) is a pretty long way from what you're looking to do, and looks to be a bit of a mess (despite having some decent internal comments).

The basic problem you're up against is this: the quiz is in client-side javascript (meaning it gets downloaded to the user's machine and run entirely there), while gathering stats and such will need to take place server-side (on some centralized server, probably the site that hosts the quiz page).

It's probably easy enough to sneak in a call to "phone home" at the end of the quiz with the results, but you'd still have to set up some sort of server to receive the call (and store the results, etc), which will be non-trivial.

I'd almost say you'd be better off cutting-and-pasting the text (with permission, of course :) into some other quiz-hosting site that's equipped to aggregate results...

That's my opinion -- seek a second, naturally.

Druid
28th August 2006, 07:37 AM
I'd almost say you'd be better off cutting-and-pasting the text (with permission, of course :) into some other quiz-hosting site that's equipped to aggregate results...

That's my opinion -- seek a second, naturally.

Can you recommend such a site please.

Druid.