PDA

View Full Version : Taking "Seperation of Church & State" for granted


bignickel
19th June 2003, 08:26 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/928600.asp?0cv=CB20


“The rise of interest in Paganism is damaging because it normalizes spiritual evil by presenting it as mere fantasy and fiction,” said Reverend Joel Edwards of the Evangelical Alliance, a grouping of some one million UK Christians.
"The Evangelical Alliance calls on government and TV regulatory bodies to monitor programs which promote or glamorize Pagan issues,” he told Reuters.

The bigotry of fundie Xtians is always annoying. But I'm curious: can fundie Xtians in the UK get the government to go after other religious groups that they don't particularly care for?

The odd thing is: while I can easily see fundie Xtian ministers saying the first quote here in the US, I can't imagine any of them saying the second: they're so paranoid of other fundie sects getting in control and banning their own particular brand of Xtianity.

They much more prefer to have citizens groups threaten boycotts in order to get things removed off the air. That and getting books pulled from libraries.

Jet Grind
19th June 2003, 08:36 AM
Disgusting. The paranoia of the modern Hitlerian Christian Reconsructionist sect never fails to amaze me.

Originally posted by bignickle
The bigotry of fundie Xtians is always annoying. But I'm curious: can fundie Xtians in the UK get the government to go after other religious groups that they don't particularly care for?

I actually think they can. They don't have a strict separation of church and state (of course according to the atheophobic neo-nazis over here, we don't either).

Originally posted by bignickle
The odd thing is: while I can easily see fundie Xtian ministers saying the first quote here in the US, I can't imagine any of them saying the second: they're so paranoid of other fundie sects getting in control and banning their own particular brand of Xtianity.

I see quotes like that coming from zealots in the US all the time. Ever since 9/11 we've been literally overrun by godbots so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually accomplished something.

Originally posted by bignickel
They much more prefer to have citizens groups threaten boycotts in order to get things removed off the air. That and getting books pulled from libraries.

This is one of those statements that wish weren't true.

Samus
19th June 2003, 08:50 AM
I've known some druids and witches over the years. Nice people, more of a counter-culture than a religion.

I fail to see how Harry Potter has any lasting, damaging affects on society. I think this is a case of the church being entirely too concerned about something that isn't really important.

Dancing David
19th June 2003, 08:51 AM
Yeah and harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings aren't even pagan they are filled with Xianity. There is very rarely any pagan fantasy literature. the worst example by far is 'Lord Foul's Bane', dreadful Xian moralizing through out.

Barkhorn1x
19th June 2003, 09:17 AM
"The Evangelical Alliance calls on government and TV regulatory bodies to monitor programs which promote or glamorize Pagan issues,” he told Reuters.

OK - so what exactly are Pagan issues??

Barkhorn.

jimlintott
19th June 2003, 09:28 AM
I can understand the fear this Reverend has for paganism. If people get exposed to paganism they will start leaving the church in droves. This will mean the loss of considerable revenue. Also when pagans are the dominant religion they are going to start burning reverends and priests at the stake.

Dancing David
19th June 2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Barkhorn1x
[B]

OK - so what exactly are Pagan issues??

Barkhorn.

dancing naked, making fun of Xians, believing that monism is false, bashing all authority (which makes being a High Priestess/Priest a real challenge), getting Xianity out of the schools, acceptance of reality in all it's wonder

Dancing David
19th June 2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by jimlintott
I can understand the fear this Reverend has for paganism. If people get exposed to paganism they will start leaving the church in droves. This will mean the loss of considerable revenue. Also when pagans are the dominant religion they are going to start burning reverends and priests at the stake.

No non no, burn criminals not other religions, it is more fun to be comfortable being pagan and tormenting them that way

jimlintott
19th June 2003, 09:34 AM
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said 'I'm pagan and I vote.'

I often tell people I'm pagan. The reactions can be pretty funny.

Dancing David
19th June 2003, 10:59 AM
yeah, devil worshiper is fun too! You can test how free someone feels religion should be by inserting satanism into the conversation. " You know Jim, most Satanists feel that Anton Leve had it all wrong with the anti-church thing, they are for the deconstruction of religion and the growth of individual freedom.."

Tormac
19th June 2003, 11:28 AM
" Record attendance is expected at dawn on Saturday morning at the mystical megaliths of Stonehenge, where Pagans have celebrated the summer solstice for thousands of years".

I have a feeling that is most of the reason. Sometimes its easier to attack ones competition than improve ones own product. Competition may be a little tight for the battle of souls :).