PDA

View Full Version : I was just told to "pull it"

defaultdotxbe
27th October 2006, 08:34 AM
background: i am a network operations center technician at an application service provider

scenario: an application server was running at 100% CPU utilization for several minutes, my coworkers and i agreed that we should "pull it" and i removed the server from the load balancing cluster

but now im wondering, was i supposed to do that, or should i have blown the server up for the insurance?

anyone else have experience "pulling" things?

uk_dave
27th October 2006, 08:35 AM
yes...and it ruined my eyesight.

twinstead
27th October 2006, 08:36 AM
My dentist told me I had a bad cavity in one of my teeth, and he was going to have to pull it. At the time I thought, "cool, maybe that will help the pain", but now with all this talk about explosives, I'm beginning to get worried.

Skibum
27th October 2006, 08:47 AM
Perhaps "pulling it" rather than pulling out would lead to fewer illegitimate children and certainly fewer alimony payments. It does make one hell of a mess though.

WildCat
27th October 2006, 08:52 AM
I sometimes have to pull a building permit, perhaps I'm really supposed to blow them up? It would save a lot of time at City Hall...

Skibum
27th October 2006, 08:54 AM
I sometimes have to pull a building permit, perhaps I'm really supposed to blow them up? It would save a lot of time at City Hall...

That would save me a lot of time as well. Pull it, the answer to plan review.

Perhaps Larry did it after all, he was just trying to keep from having to obtain a demo permit.

snagswolf
27th October 2006, 09:02 AM
Pullet:

http://rhetorica.net/weblogpix/chicken.jpg

njslim
27th October 2006, 09:47 AM
AHHem !! My mother told me not to do stuff like that.......

realitybites
27th October 2006, 10:21 AM
but now im wondering, was i supposed to do that, or should i have blown the server up for the insurance?
You think that's bad? I just had to reheat my lunch.

Someone told me to "nuke it." I wasn't sure if he meant, "Put it in the microwave for 4 minutes," or, "Plant a thermonuclear device inside the rice pilaf."

aggle-rithm
27th October 2006, 10:31 AM
You think that's bad? I just had to reheat my lunch.

Someone told me to "nuke it." I wasn't sure if he meant, "Put it in the microwave for 4 minutes," or, "Plant a thermonuclear device inside the rice pilaf."

When I worked in a restaurant kitchen a long time ago, the manager gave me a plate of pasta and told me to "zap" it. I threw it in the trash, drawing his immediate wrath. I had never heard the term "zap" used to mean "heat up in the microwave".

chipmunk stew
27th October 2006, 10:39 AM
Someone just told me to "shove it". This has me completely mystified. Is this the opposite of "pull it"? If so, what is the opposite of demolishing something with explosives? :con2:

Help please! I feel like an idiot, standing here scratching my head over this!

Bell
27th October 2006, 11:07 AM
Someone just told me to "shove it". This has me completely mystified. Is this the opposite of "pull it"? If so, what is the opposite of demolishing something with explosives? :con2:

They use explosives to create tunnels. Maybe that's shoving? :confused:

bob_kark
27th October 2006, 11:11 AM

You use wood glue to rebuild something that had been demolished. Be careful to remember the wood glue though, it's the most important part.

defaultdotxbe
27th October 2006, 11:12 AM
i always though a better slang term for explosive demolition would be "push it" as in "push the button" or "push the plunger" (old school)

PerryLogan
27th October 2006, 11:13 AM
My uncle would say "Pull it," then make a rude noise when you did.

gumboot
27th October 2006, 03:10 PM
In the film industry, we often "kill" lights. Now I have lightmares* about 18Kw HMIs running around on their tripods incinerating everyone in sight, like the machines in Spielberg's version of "War Of The Worlds".

-Gumboot

*that was a typo, shoulda been "nightmares". Decided to leave it since it fits rather nicely (n and l aren't even next to each other!)

Gravy
27th October 2006, 06:16 PM
My dentist told me I had a bad cavity in one of my teeth, and he was going to have to pull it. At the time I thought, "cool, maybe that will help the pain", but now with all this talk about explosives, I'm beginning to get worried.There was a Three Stooges episode in which all efforts to remove a tooth, including the string tied to the doorknob, failed, so they resorted to dynamite.

twinstead
27th October 2006, 06:50 PM
There was a Three Stooges episode in which all efforts to remove a tooth, including the string tied to the doorknob, failed, so they resorted to dynamite.

Yea. That's what I'm afraid of...

Tbone
27th October 2006, 06:58 PM
I'm a lurker, but I just can't resist.

I'm pulling it right now.

LashL
27th October 2006, 07:02 PM
On several occasions, while advising clients on the content of advertisements that may or may not breach certain laws, I've had occasion to tell them that they should "pull it" rather than publish it. They client would, as a result, withdraw the advertisement.

On several occasions, while advising media clients on whether a particular story might cross the boundaries into libel territory, I've advised them to "pull" the story before the paper went to press. (They tended to use the word "kill" rather than "pull" in their responses, though, when they withdrew the story.)

Still, in none of these instances were any preplanted explosives utilized and in none of these instances was anyone ever killed.

LashL
27th October 2006, 07:04 PM
There was a Three Stooges episode in which all efforts to remove a tooth, including the string tied to the doorknob, failed, so they resorted to dynamite.

Sounds like a case for Judy Wood ~ her expertise is dentistry, after all, isn't it?

gumboot
27th October 2006, 07:08 PM
Still, in none of these instances were any preplanted explosives utilized and in none of these instances was anyone ever killed.

But they "killed" the story? Didn't they? Huh? I can't believe you can make such insensitive, unhuman claims! Newspaper stories are people too, man!

-Gumboot

LashL
27th October 2006, 07:13 PM
But they "killed" the story? Didn't they? Huh? I can't believe you can make such insensitive, unhuman claims! Newspaper stories are people too, man!

-Gumboot

Yeah, but you know those journalist types. They're pretty inhumane. Some might even argue that they should perhaps be "pulled" too ~ er, um, I mean...

;)

beachnut
27th October 2006, 07:23 PM
my daughter was trying to tell her sisters there was no Santa Claus

told her to go ahead if there is no Santa I can "pull it", her gifts that Santa brings!

The tree collapsed, the FBI would not let the NTSB do an accident investigation, Nixon resigned, Ford stumbled, and the sun came up

But everyone still believes in Santa, and her younger sister when to UC Santa Cruz dispite the a vampire outbreak…

twinstead
27th October 2006, 07:37 PM

Yea, but that's what They want you to think

fuelair
27th October 2006, 07:43 PM
pull my finger.

Polaris
27th October 2006, 07:50 PM

Was it one of the Curly episodes? Maybe They killed him off to replace him conveniently with Joe so people would lose interest in the series and not get clued in to the fact that it was really Moe and Larry who did 9/11.

twinstead
27th October 2006, 07:51 PM
Was it one of the Curly episodes? Maybe They killed him off to replace him conveniently with Joe so people would lose interest in the series and not get clued in to the fact that it was really Moe and Larry who did 9/11.

I knew it!

defaultdotxbe
28th October 2006, 07:01 AM
and they are all joooos!!!!!