PDA

View Full Version : Imagine Losing The Election To A Dead Woman

Katana
8th November 2006, 10:33 AM
For this incumbent, it's a reality.

PIERRE, S.D. - A woman who died two months ago won a county commissioner's race in Jerauld County on Tuesday.

Democrat Marie Steichen, of Woonsocket, got 100 votes, defeating incumbent Republican Merlin Feistner, of Woonsocket, who had 64 votes.

Jerauld County Auditor Cindy Peterson said she believes the county board will have to meet to appoint a replacement for Steichen. Peterson said she'll check with the state's attorney to be sure that's the process.

Peterson said voters knew Steichen had died.

"They just had a chance to make a change, and we respect their opinion."

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15622299/)

shemp
8th November 2006, 10:48 AM
I for one welcome our new zombie county commissioner.

FreeChile
8th November 2006, 01:01 PM
I wonder how the WOO there may take advantage of that. They could summon the woman to effect her newly obtained powers.

Meadmaker
8th November 2006, 02:54 PM
So, is the loser expected to get a cabinet nomination?

Oxymoron
8th November 2006, 04:38 PM
Man. That's got to be tough on his ego. :rolleyes:

Dark Jaguar
8th November 2006, 05:02 PM
That's more depressing than anything. What it suggests to me is people didn't really keep up on the candidates at all, at least not during a two month period up to the election, and this is the result.

I'd rather everyone vote, but only if they are informed. If they aren't informed, I'd rather they just stay home.

Katana
8th November 2006, 05:05 PM
That's more depressing than anything. What it suggests to me is people didn't really keep up on the candidates at all, at least not during a two month period up to the election, and this is the result.

I'd rather everyone vote, but only if they are informed. If they aren't informed, I'd rather they just stay home.

Except that the person interviewed for the story said that voters knew that she was dead.

Dark Jaguar
8th November 2006, 05:16 PM
That changes things up a bit. Didn't catch that part. Still, not sure what they actually intend to do here. Is this an "anything but that candidate" thing?

Katana
8th November 2006, 05:25 PM
That changes things up a bit. Didn't catch that part. Still, not sure what they actually intend to do here. Is this an "anything but that candidate" thing?

That's what I was wondering. What was the motivation? Did they want to send a statement of support to her? Sort of a final farewell? Or did they want to send a statement that they hated her opponent that much?

I'm leaning towards the first. One would think that a write-in candidate might have emerged to give them another option. Then again, if they couldn't offer up a write-in candidate because of elections rules and such, maybe this was the only way to avoid having the other guy elected.

Whatever the reason, it looks pretty bad for the opponent.

Badger
8th November 2006, 05:36 PM
Well, I can sort of relate. My invisible friend ran away....

Dr Adequate
8th November 2006, 05:44 PM
Hmm.

In the UK, if a Member of Parliament (for example) dies, then his seat comes up for election.

In the US, or in many parts of the US, a substitute is chosen by people who, being themselves elected, are qualified to elect a substitute.

In the news story cited, it is said:

"Jerauld County Auditor Cindy Peterson said she believes the county board will have to meet to appoint a replacement for Steichen. Peterson said she'll check with the state's attorney to be sure that's the process."

There is a process. If that isn't it, then something else is.

Zep
8th November 2006, 08:34 PM
Who we votin' for agin', Jeb?