PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about this stuff?

Badly Shaved Monkey
9th December 2006, 08:24 AM
http://www.bioenergyfields.org/index.asp?secid=1&subsecid=0

Valerie Hunt appears to be a sometime UCLA academic and purports to have done seminal research. Does anyone know where the credible neurophysiology ends and the woo begions with this stuff?

Jeff Corey
9th December 2006, 08:40 AM
I can't find a CV, but it seems she has an Ed.D. and is into a variety of fringe things such as skins auras, psychic surgery and the Rolf Institute with Wayne Dwyer.
Ed.D.s are not known for their rigorous scientific training.

fuelair
9th December 2006, 09:10 AM
http://www.cihs.edu/whatsnew/motoyama_book.asp
She's a professor emeritus here - have a look at their current book list.
Also, try dogpiling her ( www.dogpile.com ) entering "Valerie Hunt neurophysiology" . Hit Fetch and watch the fun.

Badly Shaved Monkey
9th December 2006, 11:32 AM
So, what about the status at UCLA? Is that evidence of a career in proper science?

Badly Shaved Monkey
9th December 2006, 11:34 AM
From the top review at Amazon of one of her books;

"INFINITE MIND is a book best read sequentially from beginning to end"

It would seem that her fans have only just grasped the concept of how a book works.

Jeff Corey
9th December 2006, 11:58 AM
So, what about the status at UCLA? Is that evidence of a career in proper science?

She was affiliated with the California Institute for Human Science. Where did you see UCLA? I doubt if they have any Ed.D.s teaching science there.

fuelair
9th December 2006, 12:06 PM
She was affiliated with the California Institute for Human Science. Where did you see UCLA? I doubt if they have any Ed.D.s teaching science there.

The basic site and/ or one early in the list on Dogpille has her at UCLA some years ago.

Jeff Corey
9th December 2006, 12:23 PM
I saw that one site said she was a professor of kinesthesiology at UCLA, but I've not been able to find a CV, so I'll remain skeptical.
Other sites credit her with a Ph.D.

Squishua
9th December 2006, 12:26 PM

It would seem that her fans have only just grasped the concept of how a book works.
Best laugh I've had all day! :D

Thanks!

-Squish

fuelair
9th December 2006, 01:17 PM

Possibly their previous exposure to books were limited to "Choose your own Adventure"s.

Iamme
9th December 2006, 03:46 PM
Best laugh I've had all day! :D

Thanks!

-Squish

Is she the one who is married to Mike?

Badly Shaved Monkey
9th December 2006, 03:50 PM
Is she the one who is married to Mike?

Or Isaac?

Badly Shaved Monkey
9th December 2006, 03:59 PM

Here for instance;

http://netmar.com/~maat/archive/nov1/vh.htm

The stuff in this page is where it gets interesting.

Presumably those machines of hers measure something. Now, she has interpreted it in a New Age nutty way.

What seems to have gone wrong is that the move has been made straight from wiggly lines on electrical apparatus to hand-waving assertions about auras, instead of just saying that there is some measurable electrical field and then getting on quietly with the job of seeing whether it was any biological interest of diagnostic use, where the latter would definitely require controlled experiments and these seem to be singularly lacking.

If the EEG hadn't already been invented, someone like this would stick electrodes on the head, express astonishment that the brain was an "energy organ" and start telling us that they were listening to the soul.

So, what seems interesting to me is to define the boundary where science gets left behind as they head off into the Land of Woo. Is it that the facts are right, but the interpretation is the problem? Or do we suspect that the facts aren't even right, that the machines aren't really doing what she says they do?

Gord_in_Toronto
9th December 2006, 04:03 PM
http://www.bioenergyfields.org/index.asp?secid=1&subsecid=0

Valerie Hunt appears to be a sometime UCLA academic and purports to have done seminal research.

I hear the Woo Train coming, coming down the track.
Woo. Woo. Woo. Woooooo.

Does anyone know where the credible neurophysiology ends and the woo begins with this stuff?

At the first word on the home page? :eye-poppi

trvlr2
9th December 2006, 04:08 PM
My Aura-meter is pegged on WOO!:rolleyes:

Badly Shaved Monkey
9th December 2006, 05:07 PM
At the first word on the home page? :eye-poppi

I fear you are right.

Eos of the Eons
9th December 2006, 06:17 PM
I ran the Quackometer on the site. It rated as the highest quackery:
This site has a has a currently measurable quackery content of 10 Canards
The quacking noise is deafening. This web site is riddled with loosely defined terms and possibly pseudoscientific language with huge sprinklings of alternative medicine mumbo jumbo. It is full of scientific jargon that is out of place and probably doesn't know the meaning of any of the terms. Using lots of physics terms like this rarely has any meaning outside of physics books. It shows no sceptical awareness and so should be treated with a suspicious mind.

Does this lame duck sell bio-feedback machines?

Something like that, lol: AuraMeter (http://netmar.com/~maat/archive/nov1/vh.htm)
Dr. Hunt has described a range of treatments for various levels of human problems, from the lowest, tissue level, to the highest, soul level

Cheaper than other "biofeedback" machines, but Val says she is the only one qualified to run THIS Aurameter machine, so I guess you have to go to her.

Can't she be in trouble for trying to treat people like this? She diagnoses and treats.

Yep, the latest in High-Tech quackery. Get a computer program that can put wavy lines on the screen, and suddenly you're a high paid "doc".