PDA

View Full Version : Sylvia Browne: "Historical Fact: 666 was Nero's address"

RSLancastr
14th February 2007, 05:59 PM
Evidently, on today's Montel show, Browne said that it is a "historical fact" that 666 was the address of the emperor Nero.

Doing a quick search for this on the web, I find one post saying it is a "historical fact - look it up" and another page where someone mentions Browne making the same claim on a Coast to Coast show.

Anyone have a really old address book on them?

Thoughts?

Marquis de Carabas
14th February 2007, 06:00 PM
She's wrong. 666 was his pager number.

Lisa Simpson
14th February 2007, 06:02 PM
I saw that. Cracked me up. Did they even have addresses back then? And would the Emperor need one?

RSLancastr
14th February 2007, 06:07 PM
What was the ZipCode of the Beast?

Luke T.
14th February 2007, 06:17 PM
What a dumbass. 666 was not his address. The theory is that the numerical representation of the letters in the Aramaic form of the name "Caesar Nero" when added together equals 666.

RSLancastr
14th February 2007, 06:20 PM
Okay, the gent who emailed me on this clarified. I was too tired to get his point the first time.

He says that her statement about it was:

"Now the 666, and this is historically a fact, not something I've made up psychically, was Nero's address."

The emailer goes on to say "I'm sorry but did she just say she makes this s*** up? I think so."

Priceless!

I'll take a look at it tonight.

Lisa Simpson
14th February 2007, 06:21 PM
What was the ZipCode of the Beast?

Lisa Simpson
14th February 2007, 06:22 PM
Okay, the gent who emailed me on this clarified. I was too tired to get his point the first time.

The emailer goes on to say "I'm sorry but did she just say she makes this s*** up? I think so."

Priceless!

She does say that exactly. "Not something I made up psychically."

Luke T.
14th February 2007, 06:24 PM

not something I've made up psychically

Heh. Looks like Sylvia wears a freudian slip.

Let us know.

Brown
14th February 2007, 06:25 PM
Robert, have a look at Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible by ...

... by ...

... by all means.

The chapter about the book of Revelation (beginning on page 1213 of the two-volumes-in-one edition) discusses "the number of the Beast." Asimov begins with a discussion of the notion that words used by Jews, Greeks and Romans could have numerical value. This kind of numerological analysis was called "gematria." The author of Revelation uses a number to refer to a person, but that person is not identified by name.The "number of the beast" is an example of such gematria, the only significant example in the Bible. Commentators have considered virtually every possible candidate for the beast and the one most frequently mentioned is Nero. If his name is written in Greek form--Neron--and if his title Caesar is added and if Neron Caesar is written in Hebrew letters, then the total numerical value is indeed 666. If the final "n" is left out, the total value is 616, and some old manuscripts of Revelation have 616 rather than 666 as the number of the beast.Asimov goes on to say that if Revelation was written in year 95 (C.E.), as is commonly believed, then Nero would have been dead for a quarter of a century. He would hardly be a good candidate for being the beast.

Domitian was on the throne at that time, and he was persecuting members of the young Christian church. He would be a better candidate for the beast, because he was a vigorous enemy. Also, his then-current hold on power would make it even more important for Revelation to refer to him in code rather than by name.

Asimov does not offer any way in which Domitian's name can be coded to 666, however.

politas
14th February 2007, 06:37 PM
Well, since ancient Rome didn't have a modern postal system, they didn't have much use for numeric addresses. 666 what?

In any case, which of the various places Nero lived during his life is Sylvia talking about. It's not like he was born, lived and died in the same building.

It's a stupid statement. Was Winston Churchill's address 10? Was Herbert Hoover's address 1600?

The woman is an idiot.

Luke T.
14th February 2007, 06:39 PM
Robert, have a look at Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible by ...

... by ...

... by all means.
The "number of the beast" is an example of such gematria, the only significant example in the Bible. Commentators have considered virtually every possible candidate for the beast and the one most frequently mentioned is Nero. If his name is written in Greek form--Neron--and if his title Caesar is added and if Neron Caesar is written in Hebrew letters, then the total numerical value is indeed 666. If the final "n" is left out, the total value is 616, and some old manuscripts of Revelation have 616 rather than 666 as the number of the beast.

Hebrew? Guess it depends on who it is you ask.

The preterist takes a relatively uncommon form of Nero's name, Nero Csar or Csar Nero, and adds an "n", resulting in Neron Csar. Next the Latin is transliterated into Aramaic, resulting in nrwn qsr, which when using the numeric equivalent of the letters, then adds up to 666 as follows:
Nun = 50
Resh = 200
Waw = 6
Nun = 50
Qoph = 100
Samech = 60
Resh = 200

http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/666.htm

For Hebrew, they have:

The numeric equivalents of Hebrew letters can be found in the Encyclopedia Britannica under "Languages of the World", Table 50.

ROMIITH
means the Roman Kingdom

R = 200 resh
O = 6 waw (vav)
M = 40 mem
I = 10 yod
I = 10 yod
TH = 400 taw
--------------

ROMITI
means the Roman Man

R = 200 resh
O = 6 waw (vav)
M = 40 mem
I = 10 yod
T = 400 taw
I = 10 yod
----------

Whatever, nobody's saying "Nero's address".

Rasmus
14th February 2007, 06:39 PM
Anyone have a really old address book on them?

:thumbsup:

Thoughts?

Many.

What street did he live in?

Did the man ever move? I mean surerly you do not become emporer and stay in your cozy little flat and run the country from the backroom of our parents bakery or something, right? So at what time of his life did his address have this number? Do we know who else lived there? (Maybe nero was jsut sub-letting or something, ortook over somebody place after they moved away and the real devil is that other person ...)

Do we have the addresses of Cleoptra, Jesus (his family WAS subject to the census, after all) and Attila the Hun, too?

A quick google search didn't reveal when houses were first numbered, though. I found that Rome was apparently the first place to develop something like a postal service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail#Rome), though. The Wikipedia article speaks of mail distribution centres, though.

Brown
14th February 2007, 06:42 PM
A quick follow-up to my previous post:

The notion of referring to persons in some secret code (e.g., symbolically or by false names) is well-known to biblical scholars (although it is at odds with fundamentalist dogma). The author of Revelation refers to "Babylon," for example. But "Babylon" is a code word for Rome. By using a code word, the author runs less risk of having words unfavorable to Rome being deemed seditious.

For those who are a little slow on the uptake, the author includes a hint as to Babylon's true identity. The whore of Babylon sits upon "seven mountains" (Rev. 17:9), and virtually everyone knows about the seven hills of Rome.

The first epistle attributed to Peter likewise refers to a church in Babylon (1 Pet. 5:13). Since there were no Christian churches in what is now present-day Iraq at that time, this remark seems odd. But the author was probably referring to Rome. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Further, the author of Revelation was clearly familiar with the Book of Daniel, which is chock full of coded references, in which criticism of the Selucid Empire is disguised as criticism of the Babylonian Empire.

BillC
14th February 2007, 06:48 PM
I thought much of the Book of Revelations was a coded rant against the decadence of Rome.

Brown
14th February 2007, 07:00 PM

He says that her statement about it was:"Now the 666, and this is historically a fact, not something I've made up psychically, was Nero's address." The emailer goes on to say "I'm sorry but did she just say she makes this s*** up? I think so."If this is all we've got from Browne, then maybe we ought to let it pass.

Is 666 Nero's "address" in the sense that 666 refers to Nero? Maybe. Quite a few commentators think so, anyway. Is it historically a fact? Well, that may be a little strong. There is still some question about who the author was referring to. Could be Nero, could be Domitian. Some really creative souls have said it could be Luther, could be Hitler, could be Kissinger, could be the Pope, and on and on and on.

Browne seems like she might be saying no more than "Historically speaking, 666 is Nero." This would not be an unreasonable statement.

There's no need to get all nit-picky, and you risk your own credibility when you quibble. I'd let this pass.

RSLancastr
14th February 2007, 07:03 PM
There's no need to get all nit-picky, and you risk your own credibility when you quibble. I'd let this pass.I'm waiting until I see the clip, but I'm leaning toward letting it pass.

Mercutio
14th February 2007, 07:04 PM
Keep this thread bookmarked. Someone may ask for evidence that you do not simply take every single claim about Slyvia in the worst possible light.

I would say that your threshold is much more kind to her than mine would be.

thaiboxerken
14th February 2007, 07:08 PM
I'm being asked on another forum to prove that 666 wasn't Nero's address. Bleevers are such tards.

firecoins
14th February 2007, 07:19 PM
I saw that. Cracked me up. Did they even have addresses back then? And would the Emperor need one?
What have the Romans ever given us?

The Romans gave us roads, aqueducts, peace and post offices.

FaisonMars
14th February 2007, 09:53 PM
Except the "Number of the Beast" might have been 616:

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/11134/beasts-real-mark-devalued-to-616

Sounds like Syvlia had a wee bit of knowledge about interpretation of Revelation, but not the whole story. It surprises me that someone so into the mystical aspects of Christianity would bring up anything that suggests that Revelation is NOT actually a devinely inspired vision of the End Times.

If Sylvia really did say "...not something I made up psychically..." that's really pretty damning, and the clip should be spread all over the web ASAP.

Gord_in_Toronto
14th February 2007, 09:56 PM
I think 666 must have been Nero's Internet IP address because, if you extrapolate backwards from today, the Internet was obviously much smaller then and would not have needed a very large address space. :jaw-dropp

Reno
14th February 2007, 10:04 PM
"not something I've made up psychically"

As opposed to...?

Earthborn
15th February 2007, 01:23 AM
As usual, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast) is your friend...For example, scholars who believe that the Book of Revelation refers to historical people and events argue that the number represents Nero.[11] This hypothesis was first presented by Friedrich Engels. In Hebrew gematria, every letter has a corresponding number. Summing these numbers gives a numeric value to a word or name.

(snip)

The hypothesis that 666 is a code for a Roman emperor seems to have historical support.It is not a historic 'fact' (since it is rather difficult to prove), but a hypothesis by historians. And it certainly is not literally an "adress" in the sense of it being a street adress. But it may have been a way for Jews and Christians to "adress" the issue of the emperor.

Hauteden
15th February 2007, 03:29 AM
Wouldn't his address actually be DCLXVI or something of the sort? ;)

Hauteden

Cuddles
15th February 2007, 03:40 AM
Wouldn't his address actually be DCLXVI or something of the sort? ;)

Hauteden

Dammit, I was about to say that.

McCragge
15th February 2007, 04:20 AM
Actually, if I remember correctly, Nero's address was 668, the neighbor of the beast!

(Rumor has it he lived on a cul-de-sac)

McCragge :)

Big Les
15th February 2007, 04:29 AM
Well, since ancient Rome didn't have a modern postal system, they didn't have much use for numeric addresses. 666 what?

666 "Fiddler's" Avenue of course. :D

Seriously though; were there really <666 Golden Palace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domus_Aurea)s in Rome?

Zep
15th February 2007, 04:55 AM
666 octal? Or was it [drum roll...] 666 hex?

H3LL
15th February 2007, 05:30 AM
I get it.

Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus who had his name changed to Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar or Nero Claudius Caesar Drusus Germanicus. When you remove most of his adoptive name and play around with it in a language that wasn't his native tongue you get a number that probably wasn't 'the number of the beast'.

How do they manage such accuracy?

Tricky
15th February 2007, 05:50 AM
666 "Fiddler's" Avenue of course. :D
LOL. Yeah, toss another bit of "historical" BS on top. The violin wasn't invented in Nero's time. He might have played a lute. Even today whenever there is a disaster, like a fire, one of the big problems is luting.

Garrette
15th February 2007, 05:57 AM
LOL. Yeah, toss another bit of "historical" BS on top. The violin wasn't invented in Nero's time. He might have played a lute. Even today whenever there is a disaster, like a fire, one of the big problems is luting.It's a good thing you're the TLAD because otherwise I might consider nominating...

No. No. Scratch that. I still wouldn't nominate it.

Spektator
15th February 2007, 06:56 AM
I don't know Nero's address. I do know that Hitler's serial number in the German army was "Vun."

Luke T.
15th February 2007, 07:31 AM
I'm being asked on another forum to prove that 666 wasn't Nero's address. Bleevers are such tards.

Ask them to prove there aren't any blue fairies on the moon.

Garrette
15th February 2007, 07:40 AM
Ask them to prove there aren't any blue fairies on the moon.And what their address isn't?

Orangutan
15th February 2007, 09:43 AM

Tell them he lived at number 9.
You can see where the numbers used to be on the front door to his palace.
Yes I made this up. ;)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p231/transplant_photos/ThePalaceOfNero.jpg

Lisa Simpson
15th February 2007, 09:53 AM
Hey...his address is right there on the side! Sylvia was right!

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5408/thepalaceofneroky0.jpg

Orangutan
15th February 2007, 09:59 AM
Lisa,

Was my photoshopping too subtle? I have already added 'IX' above the door.
:)
Edit, That really is Nero's palace by the way.
Double Edit I should do one with 666, non roman numerals and post it somewhere to see if it gets picked up! lol

Amapola
15th February 2007, 10:24 AM
Oh my ed. I'm not going to get over that "luting" post for a long long time.

CptColumbo
15th February 2007, 10:43 AM
Lisa,

Double Edit I should do one with 666, non roman numerals and post it somewhere to see if it gets picked up! lol

I fell for it. Go for it.

Did Nero's palace really need an address? It's not like that place in Vegas was around yet to cause confusion.

Orangutan
15th February 2007, 10:54 AM
I fell for it. Go for it.

Did Nero's palace really need an address? It's not like that place in Vegas was around yet to cause confusion.

Ok Here is the conclusive proof he lived at 666, :WINK:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p231/transplant_photos/NerosPalace.jpg

NobbyNobbs
15th February 2007, 11:05 AM
Even supposing that it was his address, wouldn't it also be the address of several other emperors as well? I mean, they didn't build a new palace or renumber the streets every time there was a successor, did they?

endothermal
15th February 2007, 11:40 AM
What a dumbass. 666 was not his address. The theory is that the numerical representation of the letters in the Aramaic form of the name "Caesar Nero" when added together equals 666.

I remember reading an essay in Skeptic magazine in which the number started out as 616 and later became 666. In this essay they were highlighting the similarities in many stories. The main thread was that the true King would return and claim his kingdom. In the essay it was mentioned that Neros was banished (well actually killed) so over the many years people would take on his identity and try to regain control of his kingdom. The other thing the author did was highlight how this was in fact very similar to the King Aurthur story. Only the "true" king could remove the sword to regain the kingdom. And again in the heebus story... the king of kings is awaken from the dead and the second coming, etc. And more modernly the story of Anastesia, which directly translates to, to stand again. Apparently christians held on to the idea that Anastesia survived the mascare (which she didn't) and that she would return to regain control of her kingdom. Which led to many people falsely claiming to be her. An interesting read with many references. Back on subject I wonder if I mail a letter and simply put: Attn Ceasar Nero 666, Rome, would it get delivered?

Psi Baba
15th February 2007, 11:49 AM
"Six, six, six, that's all you think about. Will the girls like this? Will the girls like that? Next time you go on about the bloody Romans, Brian, remember your father was a Roman."

NobbyNobbs
15th February 2007, 11:53 AM
Congratulations, RSL! Both you and Randi got a positive mention on snopes (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?p=63951#post63951).

Ipecac
15th February 2007, 11:55 AM
"All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

Lisa Simpson
15th February 2007, 12:01 PM
Lisa,

Sorry, I couldn't see it. Maybe I need new contact lenses.

Unsecured Coins
15th February 2007, 12:01 PM
my number is 665. I'm the neighbor of the beast

Blue Mountain
15th February 2007, 12:33 PM
Evidently, on today's Montel show, Browne said that it is a "historical fact" that 666 was the address of the emperor Nero.

Thoughts?
Maybe it refers to how he was addressed. Queen Elizabeth II is "Your Majesty", so Nero may have been "Your sixsixtysixness".

LOL. Yeah, toss another bit of "historical" BS on top. The violin wasn't invented in Nero's time.
He may have played the bagpipes. They've been known for thousands of years.

He might have played a lute. Even today whenever there is a disaster, like a fire, one of the big problems is luting.
What can I say but
:dl:

Lisa Simpson
15th February 2007, 12:34 PM
In some long ago, 1inChrist thread, I was named as the Beast of the Land. Sigh. Those were the days of excellent trollage. These CTists just can't compare.

firecoins
15th February 2007, 12:41 PM
in order to join the Stop Sylvia Brown , you need to really hate Sylvia Brown.

I do!

Alright, your in!

EeneyMinnieMoe
15th February 2007, 01:20 PM
Robert, as any Bible scholar will tell you about the Book of Revelations, the beast or the anti-Christ who's number is 666 is likely a code for a literal person, perhaps Nero, NOT Devil and Apocalypse stuff.

Remember 6/06/06? All of the mention it got? My local newpaper ran an article suggesting it was all a misunderstanding in the first place as 666 was never even meant to foretell of the anti-Christ but warn of a very human individual.

That's what Sylvia meant to say but somehow "It's a historical fact that 666 refers to Nero" came out as "666 was Nero's address".

Btw, what were you doing watching "Montel?"!

wahrheit
15th February 2007, 01:39 PM
"Now the 666, and this is historically a fact, not something I've made up psychically, was Nero's address."

Did I understand this correctly, that she, the heroine of this month's Language Award, did say the above? On tape?

Regarding that 666 being Nero's address, that's about the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

I'm not a historian, but I thought addresses and numbers are more like a 17th or 18th century thing. And the idea that the Emperor of Rome had the (house)number 666 strikes me as very silly, childish, dorky, imbecile, you name it.

I guess the postman almost 2000 years ago, walking the streets of Rome, went through the letters and read "Nero - Emperor Of Rome". "What, no street, no housenumber? Return to sender..."

EeneyMinnieMoe
15th February 2007, 01:45 PM
Warheit, see above ^.

It's often been said that 666 was a code for Nero, not a prophecy of the destruction of the world. Sylvia was trying to say this but somehow bungled "a reference" and out came "address".

Weren't any of you saying attention to the coverage of June 6th, 2006?

Reno
15th February 2007, 01:50 PM
Slyvia seems to bungle a lot then. She says, "dead" when she means "alive" and "alive in white-slavery in Japan" when she means "dead".

RSLancastr
15th February 2007, 02:11 PM
That's what Sylvia meant to say but somehow "It's a historical fact that 666 refers to Nero" came out as "666 was Nero's address".Well, she evidently said exactly the same thing on an episode of Coast to Coast more than a year ago. So I doubt that it is "misspeaking."

Btw, what were you doing watching "Montel?"!Same thing I'm doing reading her books. :(

pgwenthold
15th February 2007, 03:14 PM
"All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

Don't forget giving us numerals, baths, and candles.

Darat
15th February 2007, 03:15 PM
...snip...

Same thing I'm doing reading her books. :(

I pity you....

Zep
15th February 2007, 03:34 PM
"All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"Don't forget giving us numerals, baths, and candles.....and blinds.

Brown
15th February 2007, 05:52 PM
"Address" for Nero?

It's called "a toga," people.

But it was a size six six six toga. He was a big guy, you know.

Brown
15th February 2007, 05:55 PM
Ok Here is the conclusive proof he lived at 666, :WINK:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p231/transplant_photos/NerosPalace.jpgI'm less surprised by the house numbers, and more surprised by the bike rack.

LostAngeles
15th February 2007, 09:43 PM
My exchange is 666...

wahrheit
16th February 2007, 03:40 AM
Warheit, see above ^.

It's often been said that 666 was a code for Nero, not a prophecy of the destruction of the world. Sylvia was trying to say this but somehow bungled "a reference" and out came "address".

How would you know what Sylvia was trying to say?

Well, Reno and RSL already answered that question.

wahrheit
16th February 2007, 03:46 AM
I'm less surprised by the house numbers, and more surprised by the bike rack.

That's a barrier, to bar people from scratching housenumbers into the stone.

CptColumbo
16th February 2007, 08:09 AM
BTW she was on Montel recently? And this is all they talked about? How long ago was it taped? No mention of her recent publicity stemming from blunders on his show?

RSLancastr
16th February 2007, 09:16 AM
BTW she was on Montel recently? And this is all they talked about? How long ago was it taped? No mention of her recent publicity stemming from blunders on his show?Yes, it was a new episode, broadcast for the first time on 2//14/2007. I don't know when it was taped, though.

Kage
16th February 2007, 09:26 AM
Well, she evidently said exactly the same thing on an episode of Coast to Coast more than a year ago. So I doubt that it is "misspeaking."

You know they used to make people do those things at gitmo, but the revised interrogation handbook threw that particular torture out.

EeneyMinnieMoe
16th February 2007, 12:34 PM
Well, she evidently said exactly the same thing on an episode of Coast to Coast more than a year ago. So I doubt that it is "misspeaking."

So Sylvia can't even manage to repeat what she's gleaned from a book or a newspaper article? You know, I'm now positive you're right that she hasn't written most of her books. For one, her books show command of the English language, for another the "history" in them is more accurate.

And Sylvia used to be an English teacher...

RSLancastr
16th February 2007, 12:41 PM
And Sylvia used to be an English teacher...Yes, but only in private Catholic schools, which did not require teachers to have any degree.

Jon.
16th February 2007, 02:09 PM
My exchange is 666...

Here in Vancouver, 666 is the exchange for the federal government. Hmmm, does that mean Stephen Harper is the anti-Christ? Or maybe Paul Harper, Jean Chretien, or Brian Mulroney was? I could probably go along with a theory along those lines!

Zep
16th February 2007, 03:50 PM
Are you sure it wasn't "Sick, sick, sick"? THAT would explain Sylvia perfectly.

CptColumbo
16th February 2007, 09:33 PM
Yes, it was a new episode, broadcast for the first time on 2//14/2007. I don't know when it was taped, though.

I was at a taping of "Maury" and some of the segments weren't broadcast for a year, but some were out in a month.

Sasha
17th February 2007, 10:04 AM
One opinion of the supposed number of the beast is that the Christians during Nero's time found it necessary to use a cryptograph when writing about his atrocities and that in their language, his name was represented by 666. A more detailed (and rather ponderous) explanation may be found here:
http://www.preteristarchive.com/StudyArchive/f/farrar-fw_westminster.html
An excerpt:
"Beyond all shadow of doubt or uncertainty, the Wild Beast from the sea is meant as a symbol of the emperor Nero. Here, at any rate, St. John has neglected no single means by which he could make his meaning clear without deadly peril to himself and the Christian Church. He describes this Wild Beast by no less than sixteen distinctive marks, and then all but tells us in so many words the name of the person whom it is intended to symbolize."

lister
17th February 2007, 10:31 AM

The retail price of the beast :D

Yahzi
17th February 2007, 05:00 PM
luting.
Ahhh... ahhhh... ahhhh....

huhuhuhuhehehehehe.

Sorry, that's all I have to offer to the conversation.

Dr Adequate
17th February 2007, 05:56 PM
LOL. Yeah, toss another bit of "historical" BS on top. The violin wasn't invented in Nero's time. He might have played a lute. Lyre!

Even today whenever there is a disaster, like a fire, one of the big problems is luting. And other forms of violins.

BillC
17th February 2007, 06:02 PM
The violin wasn't invented in Nero's time. He might have played a lute.Or even the bagpipes, at which he was said to be quite good.

Luke T.
17th February 2007, 06:10 PM
my number is 665. I'm the neighbor of the beast

When I was stationed in Meridian, MS, my house number was 666. My next door neighbors had a son named Damien.

Psi Baba
20th February 2007, 01:57 PM
But it was a size six six six toga. He was a big guy, you know.
By the same token, it is well documented that Edgar Cayce was not a medium . . .

. . . he was an extra large.

headscratcher4
20th February 2007, 02:05 PM
I don't think I'd let it pass if you can document it. She says it is a well known fact. I've read a great deal of Roman History...NEVER heard that one. Doesn't seem that well known to me...pretty sure Gibbons missed it.

CptColumbo
20th February 2007, 02:18 PM
I don't think I'd let it pass if you can document it. She says it is a well known fact. I've read a great deal of Roman History...NEVER heard that one. Doesn't seem that well known to me...pretty sure Gibbons missed it.

Did you check with RoboCop?:)

RSLancastr
20th February 2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning toward making a small article out of it.

Zep
20th February 2007, 06:29 PM
When I was stationed in Meridian, MS, my house number was 666. My next door neighbors had a son named Damien.I wonder if he looks back differently on that time...

;)

RSLancastr
20th February 2007, 06:45 PM
When I got the PO Box for the StopKaz site, I had my pick of box numbers. 666 was available, and I was sorely tempted, but I thought the humor of it might be lost on some of the very people I was trying to reach.

TjW
21st February 2007, 09:45 PM

You don't understand... it's well known to those "on the other side". And they were able to check with Nero himself. Can't get more authoritative than that!

headscratcher4
22nd February 2007, 07:25 AM
You may be right...as english seems to be the universal language on the other side....

Blue Mountain
22nd February 2007, 08:25 AM
You may be right...as english seems to be the universal language on the other side....
Then again, maybe not. Ghosts seem to have to talk in charades: "I'm getting an 'M' ... is that important to you?"

rebecca
22nd February 2007, 09:04 AM
Robert, Syl made the same 666 claim at her Boston lecture, part of her mini-rant on how people of faith can be such morons.

No, the irony was not lost on me.

wahrheit
22nd February 2007, 09:12 AM
Robert, Syl made the same 666 claim at her Boston lecture, part of her mini-rant on how people of faith can be such morons.

No, the irony was not lost on me.

"Syl"? That's cute. She calls you "Becky", I guess.

I wonder what "Bob" has to say about that.

:duck: