PDA

View Full Version : "Theres no such thing as a true skeptic..."

Yahweh
24th July 2003, 10:39 AM
"Theres no such thing as a true skeptic."
"Theres no such thing as a true atheist."

I've heard both of these claims before. I dont know what they mean or the logic behind them. Can someone help me out?

Upchurch
24th July 2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Yahweh
The atheist line usually comes from theists who can't imagine a person who doesn't believe in something. It's usually followed with comments about how atheists have "elevated humans to the position of God" or that "humans are the atheist's God" or that in times of crisis atheists will turn to God out of desperation.

Not overly familiar with the skeptic line, but maybe it's an idea that everybody has to take something for granted? I dunno.

Sundog
24th July 2003, 10:51 AM
Ahem.

I made the skeptic line up. :D

All I really mean by it is this: No one is a critical thinker all the time, and when one is convinced that they ARE, it's very likely that they're not thinking critically about their OWN thought processes.

Dancing David
24th July 2003, 10:54 AM
I agree with Upchurch, because there are people who lean on god in the pinch, they feel that all people must lean on god.

A true sceptic would be sceptical of scepticism.

Yahweh
24th July 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Sundog
Ahem.

I made the skeptic line up. :D

All I really mean by it is this: No one is a critical thinker all the time, and when one is convinced that they ARE, it's very likely that they're not thinking critically about their OWN thought processes.
Quite actually, I was reading through the constant pointless babbling of bickering back and forth on BillHoyt's Logic Prize thread, and I read your signature, and it reminded me of how I've been told I wasnt a true athiest. (Believe me, I can make my run-on sentences way longer...)

Sundog
24th July 2003, 11:00 AM

Quite actually, I was reading through the constant pointless babbling of bickering back and forth on BillHoyt's Logic Prize thread, and I read your signature, and it reminded me of how I've been told I wasnt a true athiest. (Believe me, I can make my run-on sentences way longer...)

Ya really think it's pointless? I thought it was a rather important point we were making, but I bow to public opinion. :)

Yahweh
24th July 2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Upchurch

The atheist line usually comes from theists who can't imagine a person who doesn't believe in something. It's usually followed with comments about how atheists have "elevated humans to the position of God" or that "humans are the atheist's God" or that in times of crisis atheists will turn to God out of desperation.
It sounds like whoever says those things is being very ignorantly stubborn and/or dictionary deficient...

Pahansiri
24th July 2003, 11:04 AM

I wish to meet and get to know the person who knows "ALL skeptics and ALL atheist" also knows all they think and believe.

This person would so very interesting to meet, Oh, wait he already knows me and what I think so I guess I must have meet him already..

Forget it

Sundog
24th July 2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Pahansiri

I wish to meet and get to know the person who knows "ALL skeptics and ALL atheist" also knows all they think and believe.

This person would so very interesting to meet, Oh, wait he already knows me and what I think so I guess I must have meet him already..

Forget it

I know this about you, me, and everyone here: The moment we think we've achieved that lofty goal of being perfectly logical skeptical thinkers, we are riding for a fall, because we're all fallable.

Ooh, neat pun there, huh? :)

Pahansiri
24th July 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Sundog

I know this about you, me, and everyone here: The moment we think we've achieved that lofty goal of being perfectly logical skeptical thinkers, we are riding for a fall, because we're all fallable.

Ooh, neat pun there, huh? :)

Hello Sundog..

My point was not that I you or anyone is perfect at this or that and really that is not what the post was we are all addressing.

It says “true”. In reality there will be countless definitions as to what “true” is just as “perfect”.

I am not perfect at anything and what I know for certain is there is certainly much I do NOT know.

What I am very sure of is NO one knows all people be it in a group i.e. Atheist etc. I am sure no one knows all people who were ever born, knows what they do or think.

Many times our Christian friends will say “everyone is a sinner” or “Everyone sins or has sinned”.

I ask simply for a list with all names of all people ever and their “sins”.

Just what I believe.

By the wan, nice punshttp://www.rr-bb.com/images/smilies/pound.gif

whitefork
24th July 2003, 11:55 AM
Somebody has to break it to you all.

There's no such thing as true truth.

Pahansiri
24th July 2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Kullervo
Somebody has to break it to you all.

There's no such thing as true truth.

There is no anything. All is an illusion.
reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one….Albert Einstein)

But there is one truth :wow2: I am one hot and sexy great looking dude…

OK OK I lied. :(

But is that the truth? If I am not one hot and sexy great looking dude and just admitted it did I say a truth?

Truth is I don’t know.. :con2:

Wait is that the truth????
:hit:

whitefork
24th July 2003, 12:22 PM
Truth is, I was pretty certain that Pah would respond to my post.

:)

Upchurch
24th July 2003, 01:09 PM

It sounds like whoever says those things is being very ignorantly stubborn and/or dictionary deficient... well, yeah. The last one is classic JK.

Pahansiri
24th July 2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Kullervo
Truth is, I was pretty certain that Pah would respond to my post.

:)

Really?????? Lol
Did I or was it illusion as there really is no me/Pahansiri.;)

Skat Bo
25th July 2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Pahansiri

There is no anything. All is an illusion.

But there is one truth :wow2: I am one hot and sexy great looking dude…

OK OK I lied. :(

But is that the truth? If I am not one hot and sexy great looking dude and just admitted it did I say a truth?

Truth is I don’t know.. :con2:

Wait is that the truth????
:hit:

The truth? The truth is, I only read your post for your excelent use of smiley guy aids.