PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex - The Terrible Coconut Eater

Ex-drone
29th March 2007, 05:24 AM
From AlterNet.org:

In the middle of the lobby of the 50,000-square-foot Creation Museum in Petersburg, Ky., a 20-foot waterfall tumbles. Two life-size figures of children with long black hair and in buckskin clothes play in the stream a few feet from two towering Tyrannosaurus Rex models that can move and roar. The museum, which cost $25 million to build and has a sea of black asphalt parking lots for school buses, has a scale model of Noah's ark that shows how Noah solved the problem of fitting dinosaurs into the three levels of the vessel--he loaded only baby dinosaurs. And on the wooden model, infant dinosaurs cavort with horses, giraffes, hippopotamuses, penguins and bears. There is an elaborate display of the Garden of Eden, where Adam and Eve, naked but strategically positioned so as not to display breasts or genitals, swim in a river as giant dinosaurs and lizards roam the banks.

Before Adam and Eve were expelled from paradise, museum visitors are told, all of the dinosaurs were peaceable plant-eaters. The evidence is found in Genesis 1:30, where God gives "green herb" to every creature to eat. There were no predators. T-Rex had such big teeth, the museum explains, so it could open coconuts. Only after Adam and Eve sinned and were cast out of paradise did the dinosaurs start to eat flesh. And Adam's sin is a key component of the belief system, for in the eyes of many creationists, in order for Jesus' death to be meaningful it had to atone for Adam's first sin.

So why do creationists have a problem with the concept of exaptation?

ceo_esq
29th March 2007, 09:14 AM
The evidence is found in Genesis 1:30, where God gives "green herb" to every creature to eat.

I think God's been giving "green herb" to the people who run that museum.

Charlie Monoxide
29th March 2007, 09:45 AM
Is there a word or phrase that means the opposite of "Occam's Razor?"?

This what I think about when I see how the creationists justify their beliefs.

Charlie (6500 year old dinosaur) Monoxide

RenaissanceBiker
29th March 2007, 10:12 AM

How about, "Abraham's Hammer."

Orangutan
29th March 2007, 10:22 AM

That question deserves a thread of its own...

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=2472638
:)

Piscivore
29th March 2007, 10:43 AM
A JW once tried to sell me the idea that Rex's dentition was "perfectly" designed to scrape bark off trees. until I showed her a photograph and pointed out the striations on the tooth and asked her to compare them to a wood chisel and a steak knife.

She left without offering an opinion.

FenrisWolf
29th March 2007, 10:47 AM
I know dinosaurs lived with humans, because I saw on the Flintstones how Fred uses one at work as a crane. Duh, scientists don't even watch TV or they'd know better!

;)

ChristineR
29th March 2007, 12:28 PM
God made coconuts hard to open because he anticipated that T-rex would be chasing Adam and Eve, and He wanted to slow the lizard down.

grayman
29th March 2007, 01:33 PM
But what about pineapples?

Beerina
29th March 2007, 02:14 PM
Ok, I give. Nie Trink Wasser's avatar was convicted?

grayman
29th March 2007, 02:19 PM
Ok, I give. Nie Trink Wasser's avatar was convicted?

Dunno, ask HeyLeroy (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=74496&page=8).

chance
29th March 2007, 02:36 PM
TyrannoCocosNucifera-rex, perhaps?

Magyar
29th March 2007, 03:03 PM
MY question would be, WHY were dinosaurs kicked out of paradise in the first place?
I mean I know that people were for the whole apple thing, but what did poor old T-Rex have to do with that? and how is the punishment for poor old Rex fit the crime? and he didn't even get wisdom out of the deal. All and all it seems to me that an innocent man err, dinosaur got the shaft from the great big sky daddy.

grayman
29th March 2007, 03:35 PM
Richard Dawkins vs Liberty U's "6,000 yr old Dinosaur Bones"

GyhQDCT2GEw

grayman
29th March 2007, 03:54 PM
MY question would be, WHY were dinosaurs kicked out of paradise in the first place?

For starting this?:

WxfIDpset2I

Sorry, I had to put this up again. It's a favorite of mine. :boxedin:

Babylon Sister
29th March 2007, 05:19 PM
I liked it.

darnell11
29th March 2007, 06:35 PM
Ok, I'm confused. I thought that the dinosaurs, according to the creationists, were killed in the flood. So why then do they explain how Noah put them in the ark? If he did that, then wouldn't they still be here today? I mean, if the flood didn't kill them, then how to they say they died? Maybe I'm missing something, if someone knows please say. ( I think a giant asteroid from outerspace killed them way before we were here, but hey)

fuelair
29th March 2007, 07:59 PM
I think God's been giving "green herb" to the people who run that museum.Well , someone certainly has!:D

fuelair
29th March 2007, 08:00 PM
Ok, I'm confused. I thought that the dinosaurs, according to the creationists, were killed in the flood. So why then do they explain how Noah put them in the ark? If he did that, then wouldn't they still be here today? I mean, if the flood didn't kill them, then how to they say they died? Maybe I'm missing something, if someone knows please say. ( I think a giant asteroid from outerspace killed them way before we were here, but hey)
Silly consistency person!!:D

ChristineR
29th March 2007, 08:06 PM

Creationists don't agree on the dinos in the ark question. Some think they went extinct in the flood, some think they went extinct after the flood. That's what happens when you argue without evidence.:boggled:

Kopji
30th March 2007, 01:21 AM
The thought of T-Rex's sitting around by the ocean breaking open coconuts and scooping out breakfast with their cute little arms and hands makes me giggle. They really teach that? It seems to violate an unwritten rule that you should not believe in anything so silly it makes people laugh before you get to passing the offering plate.

The Great Hairy One
30th March 2007, 03:07 AM
I gave up arguing with the guys from AIG ages ago. Facts just do not seem to penetrate their wooden skulls.

Although it was interesting to read about the split between the US and Aussie factions last year.

Cheers,
TGHO

Madalch
30th March 2007, 12:13 PM
Ok, I'm confused. I thought that the dinosaurs, according to the creationists, were killed in the flood. So why then do they explain how Noah put them in the ark? If he did that, then wouldn't they still be here today? I mean, if the flood didn't kill them, then how to they say they died? Maybe I'm missing something, if someone knows please say.

When I was young and stupid, I read a book called (IIRC) The Great Dinosaur Mistake, which argued that Noah took baby dinosaurs on the ark, and that all the dinosaurs were hunted to extinction shortly after the floodwaters receded. I mean, Noah had to get a steak somewhere, right?

The saddest thing is, I bought the book in a college bookstore.

Beerina
31st March 2007, 08:14 PM
Creationists don't agree on the dinos in the ark question. Some think they went extinct in the flood, some think they went extinct after the flood. That's what happens when you argue without evidence.:boggled:

You forgot about the third faction who believes the dinosaur bones are plants by the devil.