PDA

View Full Version : religious beliefs

Hammer_of_Thor
5th April 2007, 07:28 AM
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any videos, podcasts, etc. that give a broad overview of religions of the world. I am looking for what Mormons believe compared to JW to Catholics to Lutherans to Islam to the jewish faith. If anyone knows please post.

Thanks

slyjoe
5th April 2007, 07:43 AM
The World Almanac has a nice chart showing the Christian religions for comparison. There are also a few comparisons with non-Christian religions. Not video, but a quick (two page) comparison.

Mephisto
5th April 2007, 08:11 AM
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any videos, podcasts, etc. that give a broad overview of religions of the world. I am looking for what Mormons believe compared to JW to Catholics to Lutherans to Islam to the jewish faith. If anyone knows please post.

Thanks

I'd be interested in a side-to-side comparison too.

Welcome to both you and SlyJoe. :)

slyjoe
5th April 2007, 08:28 AM
I can't post links yet, but this chart is similar (actually more info than the world almanac).
religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm

grayman
5th April 2007, 08:46 AM
Fixed the link (http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm) for you, slyjoe.

TobiasTheViking
5th April 2007, 10:54 AM
I am not sure i entirely trust that link.. 2 billion christians, 1 billion atheist.. 1.something billion muslims... 0.1 billion jews(or something like that).

There can't be that many atheists.. can there?

grayman
5th April 2007, 12:11 PM
There's roughly six billion people on the planet that were born atheist Toby...

slyjoe
5th April 2007, 12:12 PM
I was mostly looking for comparisons in a "fairly" easy to use format, but didn't look at the numbers on that particular site.

That said, most of the sites I've seen regarding this tend to agree on the numbers, but they also agree that it is difficult to count. Again, another link I can't post.

adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

slyjoe
5th April 2007, 12:15 PM

Good point grayman. I would guess if we took everyone under about 4-5 years of age the percentage of atheists would be close to 100%, with no religion even close.

ingoa
5th April 2007, 12:25 PM

Why not?

There are only very few countries in the world where religion is so dominant. Even Poland is less religious than the US. Same for Italy, Spain and any other country I ever visited. AFAIK there are 2% going to church on Sundays in Germany.:clap:

Darth Rotor
5th April 2007, 12:56 PM
Don't you mean "agnostic" rather than "atheist?"

You have to know about God, or gods, or religion, or spiritual what have you, before you can consider it and reject it.

DR

grayman
5th April 2007, 01:07 PM
Semantics, DR. :rolleyes:

slyjoe
5th April 2007, 02:54 PM
Don't you mean "agnostic" rather than "atheist?"

You have to know about God, or gods, or religion, or spiritual what have you, before you can consider it and reject it.

DR

Correct, but the folks keeping the stats mix the two together (at least the stats I've seen). So, that takes care of the newly born. What about the kids though? Can they really be classified as atheistic or agnostic? What age do you make a choice?

Fizzer
5th April 2007, 03:01 PM
Hello all,

Thanks

It's not in video or podcast form, but here's a chart with an overview of the main beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses with scriptural references:
http://www.watchtower.org/e/jt/article_03.htm

slingblade
5th April 2007, 03:06 PM
Slyjoe, you assume a choice is given. It can take people reared in a particular religion a while to realize a choice is even available, much less be able to make it, or want to make it.

Just saying. :)

slyjoe
5th April 2007, 03:11 PM
Slyjoe, you assume a choice is given. It can take people reared in a particular religion a while to realize a choice is even available, much less be able to make it, or want to make it.

Just saying. :)

I agree - I think most people NEVER make a choice (at least not an informed one!). I didn't word my thoughts correctly. I meant at what age do the stat takers make a choice? How do you classify kids?

Sorry I wasn't clear.:o

slingblade
5th April 2007, 03:23 PM
I dunno. In my former sect (Assembly of God Pentecostal), it was 10. Can never remember what it was called...the word always escapes me. Age of ...
something. Started with C, I think.

Dunno where stat makers put it.

Jon.
5th April 2007, 03:29 PM
Age of accountability?

Glen.Nogami
5th April 2007, 03:36 PM
No blood transfusions
With regard to Jehovah's Witnesses. Is this accurate? I knew a Jehovah's Witness, and she seemed fairly normal. She did the whole proselytization thing, but didn't seem that messed up.

Bellatrix
5th April 2007, 11:51 PM
I can't think of any podcasts or other recordings but a good source of information is Huston Smith's The Illustrated World's Religions: Guide to Our Wisdom Traditions I used it as a text book durring a comparitive relgion class. It's fairly informative and easy to read.

PenguinWarrior
6th April 2007, 01:48 AM
I am not sure i entirely trust that link.. 2 billion christians, 1 billion atheist.. 1.something billion muslims... 0.1 billion jews(or something like that).

China has 1.25 Billion people, or thereabouts, and Atheism is the Communist party line, so I don't think it's unreasonable. Admittedly, it's not the kind of arrived-at-rationally-and-often-linked-to-humanism kind of atheism of which I am in favour, but would show up as atheist on a chart nonetheless.

slingblade
6th April 2007, 10:19 PM
Age of accountability?

Yeah, that's it! Thanks. No wonder I can't ever remember it. :o

Hammer_of_Thor
9th April 2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the info. I will see work my way through the links and stuff.

Fizzer
9th April 2007, 03:41 PM
With regard to Jehovah's Witnesses. Is this accurate? I knew a Jehovah's Witness, and she seemed fairly normal. She did the whole proselytization thing, but didn't seem that messed up.

Yes, it's accurate. It's straight off the official Watchtower website.

Glen.Nogami
9th April 2007, 06:07 PM
Yes, it's accurate. It's straight off the official Watchtower website.

Ack.

DangerousBeliefs
9th April 2007, 06:18 PM
I always did like ReligiousTolerence.org...

http://www.religioustolerance.org

Beerina
9th April 2007, 07:34 PM

:)