PDA

View Full Version : King Herod's Tomb Found?

Mercutio
8th May 2007, 03:04 PM
Ok, the story doesn't use a question mark... (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1618666,00.html)
At the excavation site, on the steep, rocky slopes of a cone-shaped hill 2,230 feet high, Netzer's assistant, Yaakov Kalmar, said that an account of Herod's funeral by the first-century historian Josephus Flavius left little doubt that it took place at Herodium. The newly discovered tomb was regal in its opulence.
"We have here all the attributes of a royal funeral," Kalmar said. "We didn't find inscriptions so far... The work is not finished."

my favorite part of this site is the sidebar, about James Cameron's upcoming film... the sidebar is titled "Titanic Claim: Jesus Still Dead".

Schmitt.
8th May 2007, 07:24 PM
I find it a bit irritating that at the moment the site is promising but nowhere near conclusive, but it's being trumpeted, especially in headlines (I know, I know, editorial practise means the actual author of the article hasn't necessarily written it) as a settled thing.

T'ai Chi
8th May 2007, 07:30 PM
1 shekel says its genuine

Mercutio
8th May 2007, 08:20 PM

How will you operationalize this? (If it must be unanimous, I'll take that bet--if it is "majority of US News Organizations", I won't touch it.)

davefoc
8th May 2007, 11:01 PM
The story led me to read a little bit more about Herod.

I was surprised that the news story didn't make clear which Herod they were talking about but on further reading it seems there was only one King Herod or Herod the great. Herod's kingdom was divided up upon his death (about 4 bc) by Augustus between three of his sons. Herod Antipas rules over Galilee and Parea and is the Herod referenced in the bible at the time of the death of Jesus.

One thing that I hadn't realized was that King Herod was responsible for killing three of his sons because he feared that they were trying assassinate him.

I wonder, if in some way this didn't serve as part of the inspiration for Matthew's story about the killing of the innocents. This isn't to say that Matthew didn't copy the idea of the killing of the innocents from the Old Testament Moses stories. But maybe Matthew heard the stories about the execution of Herod's sons and reworked them to make it fit his ideas about the Old Testament foretelling the life of Jesus.

link to wikipedia article on Herod:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herod_the_Great

a_unique_person
8th May 2007, 11:27 PM
They had an interesting documentary on him on the TEEV recently.

He was never recognised by the Jewish leaders of the day as an authentic king or Jew, because he was not purely Jewish by birth, and he ruled only because Rome allowed him to.

He was an builder of architectural marvels, although much of this was based on Roman culture, which was not too popular for an occupied nation. He built an artificial harbour. He rebuilt the temple of Jerusalem in the hope it would help the jews recognise him as King. He was never actually allowed to enter the temple, though, so he built a gallery to watch it from.

He was completely ruthless and bloodthirsty, if he thought it was required. When he was dying, he knew the people would be glad he was dead, so he ordered that a male from each household be killed when he died. This meant that people would mourn his passing.

H3LL
9th May 2007, 04:05 AM

10 shekels say we will never get a coherent answer from you about this:

Any chance of you replying sensibly to the thread I created for you and that several members have requested that you answer.

It's a simple question.

Here it is, just in case you have forgotten:

T'ai Chi's Explanation of the uses for ID (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=2587131&posted=1#post2587131)

You have time to post elsewhere, why not there?

Ta!