PDA

View Full Version : Who do you hope to be the next prime minister of the UK?

Undesired Walrus
4th June 2007, 03:04 PM
A: Gordon Brown?
B: Gordon Brown?
C: Gordon Brown?
D: Gordon Brown?

I am being a bit melodramatic, but is anyone thoroughly disgusted by Gordon Brown's rise to power without any word or vote cast on the matter from the British people? Granted, this kind of thing has happened before, but.. it just feels mildly different.

The argument could be made that we voted in New Labour in 2005 knowing that Brown would become leader, but to me, as a believer in ykno, a democracy, that is simply not good enough. Despite all the Anti-American sentiment that flies around the UK, at least American has a strong, defined and ordered political system in which the only person you would not have a choice in who to lead you would be if both the President and Vice-President were to be simultaneously assasinated and Speaker of the House took over, an event somewhat unique.

I look at Brown with his plans for us middle-class to 'step onto the property ladder' with these eco-towns,I look at Cameron and imagine his days tearing up and down the Oxford streets forcing his drunk friends to strip, I look at the Lib Dems and see their pussy ideas at turning the ASBO into a "Adequate behavior form", and I despair.

While I look at places with little or no democracy, such as Burma, China, Iraq, I cannot help to feel selfish when I complain about the UK, but still, as someone who believes in Government, however small or large, I despair, I despair. In the words of RFK, I believe it is 'on a perilous course'.

Darth Rotor
4th June 2007, 03:05 PM
Who do you hope to be the next prime minister of the UK?
Samantha Fox.

Since I don't get a vote, I realize this carries no weight. She at least seems a bit less dour than the gents who are more likely to be the new residents of Number Ten.

DR

tkingdoll
4th June 2007, 03:08 PM
But we don't vote for Prime Minister in the first place. We vote for our local representative and the party of our choosing. Who leads that party is up to them.

Undesired Walrus
4th June 2007, 03:10 PM
But we don't vote for Prime Minister in the first place. We vote for our local representative and the party of our choosing. Who leads that party is up to them.

Yea I know... but you dont really....

tkingdoll
4th June 2007, 03:23 PM
Yea I know... but you dont really....

Yes, I do really. Anyone voting purely to see one leader or another take the PM chair is myopic. Such people exist but that doesn't mean the system should be changed so the public get to vote on leadership candidates.

geni
4th June 2007, 03:43 PM
A: Gordon Brown?
B: Gordon Brown?
C: Gordon Brown?
D: Gordon Brown?

Actualy anyone with a ministerial position who is able to form a goverment in the house of commons could get the job.

I am being a bit melodramatic, but is anyone thoroughly disgusted by Gordon Brown's rise to power without any word or vote cast on the matter from the British people?

No.

Granted, this kind of thing has happened before, but.. it just feels mildly different.

Because this time it isn't a Tory? Harold Macmillan and Alec Douglas-Home were not even directly chosen by their MPs

The argument could be made that we voted in New Labour in 2005 knowing that Brown would become leader, but to me, as a believer in ykno, a democracy, that is simply not good enough.

UK is a representative democracy (ok not that simple but close enough). This being the case dirrect goverment by the people is to an extent limited.

Despite all the Anti-American sentiment that flies around the UK, at least American has a strong, defined and ordered political system in which the only person you would not have a choice in who to lead you would be if both the President and Vice-President were to be simultaneously assasinated and Speaker of the House took over, an event somewhat unique.

It's been a close run things a couple of times.

In any case such a post exists in the UK and is currently held by Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

Eh that must have been a pain to write out every time on official documents.

I look at Brown with his plans for us middle-class to 'step onto the property ladder' with these eco-towns,

Largely irrelivant given the amount of houseing needed.

I look at Cameron and imagine his days tearing up and down the Oxford streets forcing his drunk friends to strip,

Quite a lot of our leaders have had ah colourful pasts.

I look at the Lib Dems and see their pussy ideas at turning the ASBO into a "Adequate behavior form",

"Adequate behavior form" liberal democrat givers zero results on google.

and I despair.

Then start your own party.

DanishDynamite
4th June 2007, 03:48 PM
The next PM will be Gordon Brown.

This is a fact and hence of little interest.

Who will be the PM after GB? Now, that would be of interest.

Undesired Walrus
4th June 2007, 04:18 PM
Actualy anyone with a ministerial position who is able to form a goverment in the house of commons could get the job.

No.

Because this time it isn't a Tory? Harold Macmillan and Alec Douglas-Home were not even directly chosen by their MPs

UK is a representative democracy (ok not that simple but close enough). This being the case dirrect goverment by the people is to an extent limited.

It's been a close run things a couple of times.

In any case such a post exists in the UK and is currently held by Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

Eh that must have been a pain to write out every time on official documents.

Largely irrelivant given the amount of houseing needed.

Quite a lot of our leaders have had ah colourful pasts.

"Adequate behavior form" liberal democrat givers zero results on google.

Then start your own party.

...You cynical bastard :) I still despair

Elizabeth I
4th June 2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry, I thought I knew a little about the British political system, but I don't understand why Gordon Brown is going to get to be PM without anyone, even the MPs, voting for him. Is it possible to get a brief explanation?

Also, can I put in a request to bring back Winston Churchill? Thank you.

mr rosewater
4th June 2007, 07:10 PM
Also, can I put in a request to bring back Winston Churchill? Thank you.[/SIZE]

Stuffed of course.

geni
4th June 2007, 07:15 PM
Sorry, I thought I knew a little about the British political system, but I don't understand why Gordon Brown is going to get to be PM without anyone, even the MPs, voting for him. Is it possible to get a brief explanation?

Generaly the leader of the largest party gets to be PM. In order to run for labour leader you need a certain number of nominations from labour MPs. Only Gordon Brown got enough nominations.

Also, can I put in a request to bring back Winston Churchill? Thank you.

I think there is a requirement for them to be living. And since by convention they have to be members of the house of commons not deaf.