PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Physics to find missing people?

buka001
19th September 2007, 09:30 AM
A few months back a major story aired on an investigative tv journalism show here in South Africa. The transcript of the episode can be viewed here - http://www.carteblanche.co.za/Display/Display.asp?Id=3362

An ex police officer, who now works at a university as a security official, has "invented" a device that uses Quantum Physics to locate any object be it a person living or dead, or a bucket of oil.

He claims his machine can take a sample from the source, eg a single strand of hair, place it in his device, and then using quantum physics this machine will indicate on a map on his laptop (connected to this small black box analysing machine) a directional vector indicating the direction to the source (the body or person). He then moves to two alternate lcations to triangulate the directional vectors to pinpoint the location of the source material.

Apperntly he has located people before. He also was able to locate a tin of oil and a sample of bacteria.

I firmly believe that there is something seriously suspicious with these claims. Since teh episode, there has been a public outcry, requesting proper vigorous tests, but nothing has happened.

Has anyone heard of this supposed marvel technology?

Muppet
19th September 2007, 09:53 AM
I'd like to see some non-tv research...

I don't see how quantum physics are going to do this at least (but I'm no physicist).

Crossbow
19th September 2007, 10:04 AM
Well now, if his work is genuine, then I expect that he will be richer than Bill Gates in less than four years.

On the other hand, if his work is based on the usual "woo" ideas about quantum physics (which deals with systems of very small and very energetic particles, and not at all with large discrete things like humans and buckets of oil), then I expect that his work is just another pile of junk.

tsg
19th September 2007, 10:07 AM
It sounds an awful lot like this (http://www.randi.org/jr/2007-08/080307conjuror.html#i6).

Yiab
19th September 2007, 10:32 AM
"A bucket of oil", huh?

Okay, give him a sample of oil from the bucket then toss it into the middle of the pacific ocean.

Essentially finding that isn't any harder than finding a person, from a quantum mechanical perspective.

buka001
19th September 2007, 10:58 AM
What I don't understand, is if this device can do what it claims, why does it not point to other sources of the DNA? People leave fragments of DNA all the place. Why does it not point to those sources.

Why with the oil did it not point to the primary source of oil, from where the bucket was drawn?

The Sopwith Turtle
19th September 2007, 03:02 PM
Going by all the quantum physics I know, this sounds like absolute garbage.

scotth
19th September 2007, 03:07 PM
It is completely non-sense.

There is nothing in ANY branch of conventional physics that would permit such a device.

tsg
19th September 2007, 03:24 PM
Going by all the quantum physics I know, this sounds like absolute garbage.

I know squadoosh about quantum physics and it sounds like garbage to me.

Fnord
19th September 2007, 03:37 PM
This sounds suspiciously like a Hieronymous Machine (http://www.lifetechnology.org/hieronymus.htm), or some variation of it.

Anything that someone can invent that exploits "Quantum" principles is either engaged in particle physics, nth-generation computer chip design, or blatant quackery.

And the fact that South Africa has one of the worst anti-AIDS policies (Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, South Africa's Minister of Health, advocates a diet of garlic, beetroot, and lemon to cure the disease, rather than proven anti-viral drugs), thus showing a lack of scientific thinking, leads me to seriously doubt that this South African's "Quantum" device has any merit beyond its value as scrap metal.

DRBUZZ0
19th September 2007, 11:58 PM
I once tried to find someone using quantum physics. I was able to determine what sort of state they were in (turns out they were okay except for a stubbed toe) and their velocity (moving away from me at 30 mph south south west). But damnit... then I realized I'd never be able to know where the hell they are located!

(rimshot)

No this is not only bogus it's "Not even wrong" (http://depletedcranium.com/?p=72)

Quatum physics governs the behavior of subatomic particles and there is some truth to the idea that you could infer the location or state based on another "linked" particle or co-particle. But this has absolutely nothing to do with finding something like a person.

Quantum effects are generally not observable at a macroscopic level, with the exception of a few weird things that happen with lasers and particle detectors and such. But the particles in a hair from your head are not in any way related on a "quantum" level to the rest of your body than they are to your car or your sweater. They're all just independent particles which are not necessarly "entangled" or "Aligned."

Even if they were somehow, that definately would not allow a simple box to find you. The quantum world is weird and it's hard to observe it directly without a lot of infering or indirect indicators.

This is bull on so many levels I don't even know how to start with it. And I don't even know all that much about quantum physics (although I know plenty to know this is BS)