PDA

View Full Version : Why is the US government bashing Europe?

armageddonman
13th February 2003, 01:10 AM
Even in their own country the support for a war against Iraq is eroding. Look at Maine. Look at Hawaii. Are these states now considered to be the "old US" and "not relevant"?

Jon_in_london
13th February 2003, 01:30 AM
Well, Im enjoying Frog-bashing so kindly take your logic and reason elsewhere. ;)

13th February 2003, 01:32 AM
Because we have refused to follow them around with our noses firnly planted in their rear ends like we are supposed to.

:(

armageddonman
13th February 2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Jon_in_london
Well, Im enjoying Frog-bashing so kindly take your logic and reason elsewhere. ;)

Sorry to shatter your illusions. m(__)m

The Don
13th February 2003, 02:06 AM
There's got to be a bit of "we don't like it because we feel that the French are engaging in political posturing" in there.

Which may be true but it still doesn't excuse the U.S. attitude

ZeeGerman
13th February 2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by armageddonman
Even in their own country the support for a war against Iraq is eroding. Look at Maine. Look at Hawaii. Are these states now considered to be the "old US" and "not relevant"?

Hawaii is definitely facing a second Pearl Harbor. Look out guys - this time you have to look east to see it coming :D

Zee

Crossbow
13th February 2003, 05:29 AM

That is a great question and here is my answer!

I think what has happened is that George W. was essentially bluffing when he said that if the UN does not act [regarding military action against Iraq], then the US will [fight Iraq on its own] and now he is getting seriously ticked off.

He is shrewd enough to know those kind of statements can sound great on the evening news shows and they fit nicely onto banner headlines on the newspapers, and he is astute enough to expect some wavering from other countries (especially France) but he incorrectly assumed that they would soon everyone would fall into line.

However, due to the downturn in the US economy the Federal Gov't is now facing a huge deficit ($ 300 Billion, not including the cost of an Iraq war) international help is now more important than ever.

He never really expected (nor planned) for his bluff to be called, so his planned action may be frustrated which could make him look like a boob. George W. knows that he may not be a terribly smart person, but he sure does not want to look a boob, especially when he has a good chance to implement his domestic agenda and is facing re-election.

I hope this helps!

Richard G
13th February 2003, 09:00 AM
Even in their own country the support for a war against Iraq is eroding.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

armageddonman
13th February 2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Richard G

Nothing could be further from the truth.

So what about Maine's resolution then?

HarryKeogh
13th February 2003, 12:43 PM
c'mon, everybody knows maine isnt a real state anyway. there are like 5 or 6 states, new york, california, texas, florida and chicago (the rest of illinois does not matter). new jersey may be a state depending wholly on whether i move my business there or not in the next few years.

Advocate
13th February 2003, 07:03 PM

So what about Maine's resolution then?

To say that implies support is eroding would mean that Maine ever supported war. Lets see a state that has been a supporter change sides. Texas for instance, or Florida, or basically any southern state. Even a midwestern state would make more of a case that opinion is changing that Maine does.

crackmonkey
13th February 2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah, really. I mean, Maine has 12 citizens for God's sake.

Hypocolius
13th February 2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Jon_in_london

Shouldn't it be Frog-squishing?

VernorsRush
13th February 2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by HarryKeogh
c'mon, everybody knows maine isnt a real state anyway. there are like 5 or 6 states, new york, california, texas, florida and chicago (the rest of illinois does not matter). new jersey may be a state depending wholly on whether i move my business there or not in the next few years.
Doesn't Maine get to be an honorary state when George Sr. is fishing there?