Thread: Loose Change
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:34 AM   #4575
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

geggy:

Quote:
26. Some people say that so many unanswered questions about 9/11 remain that Congress or an International Tribunal should re-investigate the attacks, including whether any US government officials consciously allowed or helped facilitate their success. Other people say the 9/11 attacks were thoroughly investigated and that any speculation about US government involvement is nonsense. Who are you more likely to agree with?
I assume this is the part of the poll you were referring to.

The way the question is worded is crucial. In a complex and long-winded question like this, people tend to focus on the last part of the question. They would hear the question as:

Quote:
People say the 9/11 attacks were thoroughly investigated and that any speculation about US government involvement is nonsense. Do you agree with them?
A knee-jerk reaction of someone who doesn't trust the current administration would be "no". If the first part of the question was placed last, they would have heard it as:

Quote:
People say that Congress or an International Tribunal should re-investigate the attacks to find whether any US government officials consciously allowed or helped facilitate their success.
I have a feeling the answer to this would be "no" in the overwhelming majority, because it sounds paranoid and flakey. Very few people would want to go out on a limb to agree with this part of the question, in my opinion (not even the CT's will come right out and say, "The government was involved", they just "ask questions"). They wouldn't have any trouble disagreeing with the other part of the question, though.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top