View Single Post
Old 20th April 2005, 05:56 AM   #16
Seren
New Blood

I believe that the Aztec Calendar shows the movement of the Milky Way through the constellations.

According to the Inca cosmology, 2 great rivers of the inca universe were joined at the edge of the known universe in the waters of a great cosmic sea which encircled the earth. The Milky Way was thought to have its source in the cosmic sea from which it took water into the sky. As the Milky Way passed through the sky at night, it deposited moisture in the sky which fell to the earth in the form of rain.

I found that when I applied Inca Astronomy and myth to the Aztec Calendar it seemed to fit.

I found some good references on the following site :

http://realmagick.com/articles/54/2154.html

Quote:
The Incas used the same system of astronomy in around 1432 to predict the inevitable destruction of the entire Andean civilisation and its religion within five generations, as the sun would no longer appear to touch the Milky Way when it rose at the solstices. Despite attempts to avert this disaster, the stars cannot be changed, and sure enough, in 1532, at the December solstice (Capricorn), the sun was seen to rise alongside, but not touching, the Milky Way, closing the ´gate´´ to the land of the dead and signifying the end of Andean Civilization.
So Cancer and Capricorn are the solstice constellations and it´s here that the rising sun is seen to touch the Milky Way, which is known as ´Mayu´or ´River´´.

Quote:
To the human observer, without the use of technology, the precsession of the equinoxes can onlky be observed as a change in the orientatioin of the stars as viewed from earth.
I believe that these ancient people experienced El Nino and attributed this to be changes in precession of the equinoxes which were observable from how the Milky Way passed through the constellations and whether or not it touched the sun at the solstices.

If you look on the original calendar that I posted above. You will see that figure at the center has its tongue out to touch the circle which I believe represents the sun. If you follow it downwards you will then see it passes between the 2 heads.

On the diagram I posted there is a single circle which I’ve indicated in yellow for the winter solstice. Going east and west from the centre you will see two sepent heads with yellow circles above and below them. I think this represents the parts when the sun passes through the milky way between 2 constellations, like gateways.

I will post the details of the glyphs next and then how I think it all links to the Nazca Lines. Thanks for your patience and comments. I'll write the next part now.

P.S. I too thought it was a pelican.