View Single Post
Old 17th November 2012, 09:56 AM   #9
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

1. Indeed the OT god is as big a mess, but I can imagine people simply going along with the status quo. For many the church is the center of their community, plus they have been raised with the idea that that crap is true, had it corked in with fear and guilt, etc. Letting go of that crap may not be a trivial step.

However for those who do that step, it kinda makes me wonder why choose a replacement every bit as atrocious.

2. That gods are surrogate parents is clear enough, I should say.

It still beats me though why people would choose psychopaths who are far more cruel and injust than, well, just about any parent who isn't a psycho too.

I mean, it's one thing to grow up with a brutal parent who beats up everyone in sight, and another thing to choose a surrogate who wants you to cut your brother's heart out and flay your sister alive. There's spanking, there's even brutal child abuse, and then there's being a homicidal pyscho. A lot of gods seem to be the third. And I don't see how having even the second, would drive one to seek a replacement that's the third.