View Single Post
Old 17th November 2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Jodie
Philosopher

And don't forget humanity's tendency to seek out a scapegoat when there is no one obvious to blame. There is a deep spiritual belief in some kind of "life force" present in the human body.

The only way to appease a so called angry god is to feed it that life force that is equally invisible. Think of the christian communion ritual, the wafer signifies the body of Christ and the wine represents the blood of Christ, in Catholicism it truly becomes the body and blood of Christ through transubstantiation.

In those terms, and I don't know how else you could view it, the symbolism of ritualistic cannibalism brings us closer to Christ.........the sacrificial theme is still with us.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top