View Single Post
Old 17th November 2012, 10:40 AM   #13
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
You would be wrong. Take a modern skyscraper: it has all sorts of glass, metal, and other bits that would clearly indicate that something is going on. And if nothing else there's this great bloody hole in the ground where the foundation used to be, arranged in a manner that simply doesn't exist outside of human involvement. We've found all sorts of ancient buildings from that sort of evidence. Then there are the ancillary facilities--the farms, the mines, the factories/processing stations, etc. Even stone-aged peoples left processing stations (debatoge, limestone pit ovens, things like that); a city would require immensely greater numbers of all of that, which would make it far easier to detect.

To get rid of a city you have to scour the area down to at least the maximum depth of the deepest foundation. And there's really very little that can do that.

As far as sea level rising, submurged artifacts may in fact be better preserved than their terrestrial counter-parts. Water doesn't make iron rust--repeatedly dipping iron into water and exposing it to air makes it rust. Just putting it in water would do remarkably little. The issue would be more that the wildlife would cover the artifacts, making them a tad difficult to detect (but certainly not impossible; we do this all the time).
It would depend on how far back you went in time looking for evidence. Water has oxygen and carbon dioxide in it that would facilitate the formation of rust on iron, I would think, if it's sea water I imagine the salt would increase the rate of decay. After 10,000 years, for example, I don't think anything iron would be left regardless of where it was.

If you are talking pre-iceage wouldn't the receding glaciers destroy any evidence of foundations or anything to do with a civilization for that matter? I would think it would carve up a whole new landscape.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top