View Single Post
Old 17th November 2012, 12:56 PM   #19
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Considering that MIS-11 is about 400,000 years ago and humans, even by the most generous estimates, are AT MOST 250,000 years old, that wasn't quite the timeline I had in mind there. It would surprise the pants out of me if anyone found a city from MIS-12 and flooded during MIS-11

When I meant from before the glaciation, I meant before the last one, of course. Something like maybe MIS-3 tops. Any earlier, like MIS-4 and you wouldn't have humans in Europe, much less America. (If the Aztecs are to learn human sacrifice from some hypothetical ultra-advanced civilization, it's gonna be in America.) In fact MIS-4 is about when humans migrated into the middle east, so, you know, there's still some way to go.

But basically, yeah, that's what I'm getting at: water lines are lower during glaciation, higher during intergalciation periods. Some city on the shore in roughly MIS-3 times will still be at least close to the shore nowadays, in most cases. Even going back and assuming some advanced civilization in MIS-4 or MIS-5 times, well, almost anything that was on the shore back then will still be on the shore right now. Well, in most cases.

A pre-glaciation city is only gonna be in deep water if it's R'lyeh

IMHO, and I could be wrong, and all that.