View Single Post
Old 17th November 2012, 03:48 PM   #24
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
"Complex" is the key word here. You can not build a complex society, even if its a single city, without a large support infrastructure. Mines, farms, roads... These resources are not clustered at a small area. Bits would survive, bits enough for us to at least suspect about their existence at a non-woo, non-fantasy level. Iron tools and ceramics, for example. Remember, we have found remains of bonfires as well as bone and flint tools which are quite older than the ice ages. As other posters wrote, you are underestimating the geologic and archeologic records. I've seen the marks of raindrops and insect tracks in sands wich are tens of millions years old; I've seen ripple marks which are 2.7billion years old, for example.

Note also that any catastrophic geologic event capable of obliterating such a civilization (major volcanic eruption, asteroid impact, megatsunami, you name it) would have its geological records already known (ash/tuff layers, tsunami-related deposits of various types). So, sorry. Ignorance of Earth sciences, archeology and about the ways complex societies work are what keep beliefs in advanced unknown civilizations floating. Hidden archeology woo feeds on this.
I admit I am not as well read on archaeology as I should be BUT how do you explain the docks at Tiahuanaco and the slowly evaporating Lake Titicaca? There is debate as to whether the actual site is as young as some of the artifacts found there since some stones were found to be buried under 6 feet of soil in an area where soil erosion like that is a slow process Or is that just woo conjecture?

However, either way, I'm not attributing anything to aliens, I think our ancestors deserve more credit than that. Look at us, we managed to develop into what we are today in a matter of a few centuries. Why couldn't that repeat itself over and over again in the last 200,000 years. How do you know that everything that could be found has been found or properly interpreted if it was?
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top