View Single Post
Old 8th December 2012, 04:29 AM   #82
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
I'm using an EEE 1000H with XP and wondering about the same things... like, when it finally wears out, will I be able to replace it with something that is equally functional?

For me, 7 felt like a sideways move in terms of the UI. Now along comes 8 and it appears they have decided to migrate desktop users to a UI that is optimized for phones and tablets. I don't see how that makes sense.

But, what I'm hearing is that it is faster and leaner under the hood, and it can be skinned with a desktop UI. Is that a fair assessment?
I was unhappy with Win7 at first mainly because I had learned to navigate around XP fairly well and knew many of the names of commands and system files for it.

The only real pain about Win7 is that you have to click one more level of the UI for almost all the setting, which is really not that bad.

We deployed Win7 at both my schools last year and one advantage is that there is no longer an hour of updates to run (on XP SP3) on reimages. The other advantage is that the kernel and system seem to be more robust in terms of malware. One downside is that the malware that effects Win7 seems to be much harder to deal with. I really like the way that Win7 and the WDS system works to deploy images, file sharing is okay as are privileges.

So I am one who went from sceptical to being content.

I am think Windows 8 will be like Vista or Windows 2000, an intermediate step in marketing and OS contruction.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top