View Single Post
Old 9th December 2012, 05:15 AM   #97
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Merko View Post
But the problem is that since in my opinion Windows 8 is just fundamentally unsuitable for desktops, it might actually cause Microsoft to lose their dominant position in the desktop market.
I sort of doubt this will happen, right now a great number of desktops are purchased for corporate environments. Many of which are still running XP, they are likely to make the switch to Win7, mainly to preserve the integrity of their current software structures. Now some corporations may switch to Win8, but I think most will wait for whatever the OS is after Win8.

So while the home desktop market is going to change, more to mobiles/tablets , the corporate environments are likely to stay with Windows Whatever..

Now as the penetration of tablets increases, that will likely be the tipping point for the corporate sales, but there are issues to be resolved. And my opinion is that for at least ten years MS will still dominate the corporate market. I will be learning more about the I Pads and Mac Books, but right now I do not know much about them. I know some of our IT staff do not like the way they side step printer permissions with Bonjour and I don't know if they integrate well with Windows GPO and AD policies. (I know zippidy doodah about that)
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top