View Single Post
Old 9th December 2012, 07:10 AM   #101
Merko
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I have to ask how long have you used Windows 8 for?

I'm asking because you seem to be repeating the canard and meme that the desktop has gone or altered beyond all recognition. For most users the desktop is almost identical (bar some graphical changes) to Windows 7.
I totally agree that the desktop is very familiar and in fact I'm not saying it's bad in any way. Basically, what I'm arguing is that what Microsoft should have done was to have a desktop version of Windows 8 that was configured to only use the desktop (unless you actively want to use 'Metro', for instance if you're a developer who needs to test the 'Metro' mode).

But they did not. They are forcing the 'Metro' mode on users whether they want it or not. And it's just completely unsuitable for a desktop machine. It seems to me that the plan must be to make users familiar with 'Metro' so that they will then want that on their tablets and phones. But my feeling is that it will work the other way: because 'Metro' is horrible on desktop machines, users will be put off and will not want it on other devices either, even if it might actually be very good on these devices (something I have no opinion about).

Now, maybe you can configure your Windows 8 to not use Metro so much, and you can use it much like Windows 7 and be reasonably happy. But that's for the power user. Ordinary users pretty much use what comes out of the box.
Merko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top