View Single Post
Old 9th December 2012, 07:44 AM   #104
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Merko View Post
If by 'start menu' you refer to the 'Metro' screen that you see when you start your machine, well, for one thing it is simply not designed to be a 'start menu' for using Desktop apps. Why? Well, for instance, if you use it to start your web browser, the browser will now start in 'Metro' mode.
I just clicked on the IE tile on my start screen and it opened IE on the desktop. I don't use IE (I use chrome) but clearly there is a setting for this.

Quote:
Basically, my feeling when using Windows 8 is that it is pretty much a desktop system that is running a tablet emulator.
For the tablet apps at present yes, I agree, but I think they've got a broader goal than that. The "tablet" type apps are also better designed for xbox with kinect, windows phone, and potential other consumer devices (appliance touchscreens, tabletops etc)

Quote:
This configuration seems to make all the sense in the world if you're a developer developing tablet apps, but for everyone else it seems so wrong that I'm flabbergasted anyone could think this was a good idea.
I think they want to get people exposed to the interface, but what they should have done is allowed a choice of installation defaults - ie to tablet apps or desktop apps.