View Single Post
Old 9th December 2012, 11:00 AM   #109
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Merko View Post
If by 'start menu' you refer to the 'Metro' screen that you see when you start your machine, well, for one thing it is simply not designed to be a 'start menu' for using Desktop apps. Why? Well, for instance, if you use it to start your web browser, the browser will now start in 'Metro' mode.

...snip...
I don't use IE so I thought I'd go and check and when I click on the IE tile on my start menu it launches IE "desktop". I can;t recall ever altering the tile so I have to assume that is the default.
And you can't even switch your browser to 'desktop' mode, the best you can do is to find the menu option that let's you open the same web page in the desktop version of the browser, which is not the same application. Then when you switch back to 'Metro' to start another application, this other 'Metro' browser will still be there - quite confusing if your intent was to start a desktop browser, not to mention this must be the most confusing way to design a 'start menu' I have ever come across.
My Windows simply does not work like you are describing. My start-up routine means I click on the tile for Opera in the start menu, that starts my browser, I then click on my outlook icon (in my task bar o my desktop where it has lived for many a year), and then I'll start doing whatever it is I'm going to do.
Basically, my feeling when using Windows 8 is that it is pretty much a desktop system that is running a tablet emulator. This configuration seems to make all the sense in the world if you're a developer developing tablet apps, but for everyone else it seems so wrong that I'm flabbergasted anyone could think this was a good idea.
What seems so wrong that it is obvious? I really don't see it - the fact is that I have a quicker and smoother way to work since I installed Windows 8. I can find my programmes and files even quicker than I could in Windows 7, my standard programs are totally functionally unaffected by the changes in Windows 8.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top