View Single Post
Old 9th December 2012, 05:42 PM   #113
Merko
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
My Windows simply does not work like you are describing. My start-up routine means I click on the tile for Opera in the start menu, that starts my browser, I then click on my outlook icon (in my task bar o my desktop where it has lived for many a year), and then I'll start doing whatever it is I'm going to do.
So you've gone to great lengths to avoid using what one of the links above appropriately calls the 'start screen' (as opposed to 'start menu'). This shows that you also don't really like the 'start screen'. But alas, that is the standard way Microsoft have chosen.

I understand that if you're a power user and you're willing to spend time to configure everything to your liking, then it might very well to be possible to make the Windows 8 GUI usable and you may appreciate other improvements. I (reluctantly) use Linux, and it has pretty much the same problem - sure if you know what you're doing and you have patience, you can make it do what you want.

But the defaults matter since most people will never configure their system much. I do recommend the Jakob Nielsen link above, where they have done some actual user testing and characterized all the problems I've seen (and more) in a much more systematic way than I could do.
Merko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top