View Single Post
Old 8th January 2013, 08:35 AM   #43
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
A good friend of mine and an all around good guy often helps me with my computer issues. He's very religious as is my 90 year old mother. Mother adores him.

For Christmas he gave my mother a book written by or about a little boy who says he died and went to heaven only to be sent back. He went further on by telling us that his own daughter after being in a horrible car accident died only to come back four times.

She said Jesus told her that she was needed on earth.

I stayed silent. Atheist though I am I said absolutely nothing. I don't want to argue or upset anyone.

Had he been anyone else I'm really not sure what if anything I would have said. Mother and this man are sincere in their beliefs and I feel left out if not intimidated.

As I grow older my former classmates from highschool are professing a belief in Jesus and here again I'm feeling left out.

I'm equally certain that this is the only life we have but I'm surrounded by my peers saying Heaven is a great deal better than any situation on earth.

I need a coping mechanism. For me religion didn't work.
I think most of us do this, stay silent, at least in some situations. Reality may not even be the best option for everyone, some people really seem to need the comfort that an afterlife fantasy can provide.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top