View Single Post
Old 9th January 2013, 06:51 AM   #80
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by AvalonXQ View Post
I wouldn't call the Genesis 1 list comprehensive at all.
What then is missing from the list of things created in Genesis 1? And then I don't mean bacteria or viruses or other things that people in 500-1000BC did not know about?

But even if you assume that Genesis 1 essentially means plants in general, I still don't agree that it's contradictory to then turn around and give an exception for cultivated plants.
Sorry, I'm not following. If one assumes that Genesis 1 means plants in general, there is no exception.

Not if we evaluate the Hebrew.
The Hebrew apparently leaves some leeway in what the word meant. Just like the nowadays English word "American" can pertain to the US or the whole continent, and the context must give clarification which was meant.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top