View Single Post
Old 11th October 2007, 04:52 AM   #14
jojonete

After 13 posts, I thought it would be nice to have all suggestions so far in a single post. I started copy/paste work and tried to correct typos and get an homogeneous format. I also added my own comments. Now I feel I've just changed too much to say this is a quote, so I'll say it is a rewriting of previous posts in this same thread. Feel free to criticize my rewriting style.
If you are the original author of something I have rewritten and you feel I've changed your point, please do say so.

1. Randi doesn't have the million.
A1. Yes, he does. You can ask for evidence, for which Randi will provide you with a note from the bank with all the necessary information to validate that he has the account, it is his account, it has more than one million USD on it, and it is his to give away. If you don't trust said evidence then not only don't you trust Randi, you don't trust the bank, and by extension the entire American bank system, and the entire economic system of the US at large.
2. JREF is a cult.
A2. No, it isn't. Many people who are a part of JREF disagree with some of what Randi says, and some of his attitude (if you do yourself, do state what you disagree with, to make a point).
3. The tests are rigged.
A3. The tests are created by claimant and Randi together, so both parties will create the test, and agree it is a fair test before it starts. If the parties can't agree to a fair test, then no test will be performed.
4. I'm not in it for the money.
A4.1. Wouldn't you spend 1 hour of your life to donate one million dollars to starving children? What kind of person are you?
Jononete remarks: I don't like this kind of answer. It almost makes me call in Godwin's Law. Surely it doesn't mention Hitler or nazis, but... well, to me it sounds much like "you're like Hitler, what kind of person are you?". My alternative:

A4.2.Then, what are you in it for?
5. If it was real someone would have won it by now.
A5.1. Look at answer 1&3, and realize that if you pass the test, you can sue Randi for the million. And just passing the test alone is probably worth more than that million.
Jojonete adds: A5.2. If superpowers were real, they would have won it by now.
6. I'm a real scientist, I'm not doing this to win a Prize, that is childish and stupid.
A6.1. Like the NOBEL prize?
Cuddles remarked: I'm not sure this is a great answer. No-one does work to win a Nobel, it is an extra reward for work they would have done anyway. I would say something more like:

A6.2. Winning Randi's prize would bring fame and recognition to your work, as well as providing significant funding. If this isn't worth a few hours of your time, what is?
7. I don't have to prove anything to Randi or other skeptics, I know my powers are real.
A7.1. Since you make a living with ________ (insert woo of your choice) anyway, wouldn't it be cool to earn a million in a day compared to the couple of bucks you earn with it now? Wouldn't winning the million be a perfect advertisement for your business?

A7.2. If you can't make a living with your powers now, wouldn't it be cool if you win the million and can quit your burger flipping job and tell your boss what you always wanted to tell him?
8. My powers don't work in the presence of skeptics.
A8: If you are able to tell if skeptics are there as observers while you can't see them, that alone would earn you the million.
9. This weekend is a no go.
Jojonete remarks: I should probably have thrown this one out, but kept it for completeness. If anyone makes any further compilation, I suggest assigning number 9. to the the "<Unnumbered>" canard below (as of now, it is between 10. and 11.). That way, all other numbers remain unchanged so that people don't get confused about renumberings.
10. Randi's not a scientist, he's a magician; so what right does he have to offer free money for an impressive demonstration?
Jojonete suggests A10. What right do you have to forbid anyone to offer whatever he/she pleases for whatever demonstration he/she pleases?
<Unnumbered>. Randi is godless/not spiritual, so he's an idiot and not worth consideration.

11. What would I do with a million pound?!!

12. I am psychic. But if I tell you what I can do someone else will get in first and win the prize with my idea.
Jojonete suggests A12.1. So, instead of telling JREF, you are publicly advertising your services as a superpowered-person. That way no one can win the prize with your idea.
A12.2. If you never had any intention of telling us what your superpowers consist of, why did you tell you have superpowers in the first place?
13. I do not want any publicity.
Jojonete suggests 13.1. and 13.2. to be the same as 12.1. and 12.2.
14. I can't use my powers for personal gain.
Doc Daneeka suggests changing the canard text to:
I can't use my powers for personal gain, even though I could give the million bucks to a charity. Anonymously.

Jojonete remarks: Doc Daneeka's text sounds to me more like an answer, i.e:
A14. ...even though you could give the million bucks to a charity. Anonymously.
Furthermore, I'm not sure about the "anonymously" part. The challenge rules state explicitly that the JREF has the right to publish everything, including the applicant's name. Or, at least, the pre-April-1st FAQ did state that, and I don't remember any comment about that part changing.
jojonete is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top