View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit

Hypothetical Firearm Ownership Proposal (Part II)

Yes, I realize there are a dozen thread on the subject, but I didn't want this to get lost in the bickering and posturing that's going on in the other threads.

I put some work into a "gun control" proposal. One that might resolve a few of the issues we've come across. Granted, this isn't going to make everyone happy on both sides, but I'm trying to be realistic here.

Anyway, to begin, NY State requires that you have a permit to buy/own a handgun of any type (post 1898). To obtain this permit, you must have a minimum of four (4) character references that are of no relation to you (in my case, I needed 6 references because only 2 of my references lived within the county I was applying). Also, you must pass a state/federal background check as well as having your fingerprints and photos added to the state/federal databases.

Now, a permit is not required to buy/own a long gun, but a call to the FBI to confirm that you are not a criminal is required.

So using this model, we can tweak this system a bit to make it much, much more difficult to have firearms of any type get into the "wrong" hands. To start, a firearm license is required for any and all firearm purchases and ownership. My outline is in the quote box:

Originally Posted by Sabretooth's Firearm Licensing Requirements

1. Initial License Application.

To obtain license, you must meet each of the following requirements:
  • Be subject to a criminal background check at both State and Federal levels.
  • Fingerprints and photographs which are to be stored and accessible by both State and Federal authorities.
  • Be subject to a personal interview by the County Sheriff’s office (or equivalent).
  • Provide a minimum of four (4) character references that are of no direct relation to the applicant. References must:
    • Reside within the county of applicant.
    • Must be citizens of the USA
    • Must be a minimum age of 25
    • Must be an acquaintance of the applicant for a minimum of three (3) years. (These references will be interviewed by phone or in person by the County Sheriff’s office.)
  • Provide a minimum of one (1) doctor’s reference confirming that no medical conditions (mental or physical) would inhibit the applicant’s safe use of any firearm. Applicant must be a patient of referenced doctor for a minimum of three (3) years.
  • Applicant must also attend a “Safe Handling, Operation, and Security of Firearms” class and receive a passing grade on the subsequent paper exam. Exam and certificate signed by an authorized instructor will be filed and permanently kept with the permit application. Cost for this class is not to exceed $50 USD.
  • Applicant must also provide proof of the ability to secure any and all firearms safely in a locking container. This could be a safe or secure room, or off-site location (such as a locker at a firing range).
  • This initial license application fee is not to exceed $125 USD.

2. License Holder
  • Once license is obtained, all firearm purchases must be recorded to the license holder with the following information:
    • Firearm Type
    • Caliber
    • Serial Number
  • All sales/trades/transfers of firearms must be done through a FFL dealer. Private sales of any firearm are prohibited.

3. License Renewal.
  • License renewals are required every five (5) years at a cost not to exceed $35 USD.
  • License holder must show proof of attendance to a “Safe Handling, Operation, and Security of Firearms” refresher course within the last ninety (90) days. (This is a short 3 hour class designed specifically for reiteration/refresher. No written exam is done with this version of the course.) There is no cost for this course.
  • License holder must have doctor complete form 1234A confirming that no medical conditions (mental or physical) would inhibit the applicant’s safe use of any firearm.

4. Age Requirements:
  • You may apply for and obtain a Firearm License at age 18.
  • However, an individual is prohibited from buying/owning a handgun until the individual reaches age 21.
Please feel free to recommend changes/additions/omissions. Please keep the discussion to the OP and leave the 2nd Amendment, AWB, need, gun design, moral discussions, etc. to the other threads.

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top