JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags homeopathy , dana ullman

Old 21st March 2008, 05:07 AM   #641
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BillyJoe View Post
...that god loves you too?
No. Just his tonsils.
Old 26th March 2008, 03:00 AM   #642
Blue Wode
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Acleron View Post
Ullman has just been banned from homeopathy articles at wikipedia for seven days.

For those interested, Dana has not been idle during his exclusion from Wikipedia. Hes popped up in the comments section of this article which Steven Novella wrote about him,
http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=256

and hes also appeared in the comments section of this Consumer Reports article:
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/hea...athic-rem.html
Blue Wode is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2008, 03:36 AM   #643
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Blue Wode View Post

Funny how Dana never mentions the attempt by Lewith and others to repeat Reilly's results.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/324/7336/520

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2008, 03:53 AM   #644
Baron Samedi
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Blue Wode View Post
For those interested, Dana has not been idle during his exclusion from Wikipedia. Hes popped up in the comments section of this article which Steven Novella wrote about him,
http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=256

Ha ha, DanaJames is funny. I liked this bit...

Quote:
These studies were no longer "matching" in any way, and 7 of 8 homeopathic trials tested only one medicine without any of the typical individualization of treatment that is commonly used in homeopathy.
Fitting that he posted this under an article about buying homeopathic allergy spray. So... does this mean he agrees that the spray does not work, since there's no individualization?
Baron Samedi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2008, 04:11 AM   #645
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
... does this mean he agrees that the spray does not work, since there's no individualization?

If a trial showed that it didn't work, yes.
If a trial showed that it did work, no.
My joke about freewill: There is no basis for it.
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2008, 07:31 AM   #646
wilsontown
Thinker

I know I shouldn't be surprised that Ullman is still spamming his utter misunderstanding of that Lancet study all over the internet, but really. It's almost as though several people hadn't explained to him why his interpretation was completely wrong.
wilsontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2008, 07:44 AM   #647
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I see a new claim in his CR comment:
Quote:
It may also be helpful to know that modern allergy treatment uses the homeopathic principle of using small doses of what a substance causes in order to desensitize a person from larger doses of it.
I stll think the difference between "small" and "nothing at all" is measurable.
Old 27th March 2008, 03:23 AM   #648
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I stll think the difference between "small" and "nothing at all" is measurable.

Some homoeopathic preparations do have measurable amounts (less than 12C).

However, in desensitisation, the concentrations progressively increase, but I would imagine that with homoeopathy where less is more, the dilutions would progressively increase.
That doesn't sound like the same principle to me. More like opposites.
My joke about freewill: There is no basis for it.
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2008, 06:39 AM   #649
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Funny how Dana never mentions the attempt by Lewith and others to repeat Reilly's results.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/324/7336/520
But he does (Look under 'The various meta-analyses of homeopathy')

But with the usual snide remarks about studies he doesn't like

Quote:
The good news here is that Enric now knows about this important body of research and this notable Lancet editorial. Will he or you bring it to the homeopathy article? By the way, I have no problem if you also referenced the Lewith study of 202 patients, though you will also need to acknowledge that this was not a real replication. Amongst its many differences, it only allowed 3 (!) doses of a medicine during a 4-month period. THAT was not the protocol used by Reilly, and his letter to the editor is notable in this drama. If you need the specific references, just ask. It will be curious to watch this. I sincerely hope that you take the high road. No wonder you guys want me blocked.
Unfortunately, he is banned from homeopathy topics, leading to this:-

Quote:
"However, suggesting specific edits would not be acceptable under the current restrictions, since this would be editing by proxy"[3]. 6 hours and 10 minutes to break the ban restrictions after they were made clear on an arbitration case page. Impressive.
The fact that Dana adds a bad faith assumption at the end makes it even worse (we don't want you blocked, Dana, we want you to start respecting wikipedia policies and stop disrupting the pages by pushing studies)
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2009, 08:07 AM   #650
JJM
Graduate Poster

R
Originally Posted by HelenSan View Post
... Finally, I am not a homeopath. I am not even an expert on homeopathy. I am simply a homeopathy consumer. I use homeopathy because I have observed empirically that there is a temporal correlation between using a remedy and being relieved of symptoms. The correlation is not perfect, but it "works" often enough that I am happy to give it a try first. If I can use this to summon up the placebo effect at will, why not? It is very cheap, and it has virtually no side effects. If my symptoms disappear and don't come back, what's wrong with that?

But I am a skeptic and scientifically minded as well, ...
Scientifically minded, and using homeopathy. Do you know the word oxymoron?

I think this may be the same person who is now typing at "Science-Based Medicine" on what constitutes "science" because the scientists there are all wrong. And Helen knows because she is married to a PhD chemist.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=1822

Hat tip to a Private Message that put me onto it.
JJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2009, 01:35 PM   #651
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Badly Shaved Monkey View Post
"Numerous sports greats have bragged about their use of homeopathic medicines including David Beckham"
From The Mail On Sunday

''David Beckham has never exactly been celebrated for his intellect, but even his greatest critics will be surprised by his latest confession: he can't understand his six-year-old son's maths homework.

The England captain made his remarks when doing an interview with The Mail on Sunday's Live magazine.

He admitted that when Brooklyn asked for help with a school assignment recently, he was baffled - and had to turn to his wife Victoria for assistance.

"Their homework is so hard these days," said Beckham. "I sat down with Brooklyn the other day - and I was like, 'Victoria, maybe you should do the homework tonight.''

Read more: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/tvshow...#ixzz0T5zLcZTm
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology