JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Latest Commentary Issues
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags homeopathy

Old 3rd November 2011, 07:46 AM   #1
thatGuy
New Blood

A disclaimer is needed for the homeopathic OD demo

Hi

I watched James in some or other TedX video drinking a whole box of homeopathic sleeping pills. It has come to my attention that some homeopaths rebrand conventional medicine and sell it as homeopathic. The demonstration should be made with a warning or disclaimer against something like this.
thatGuy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Lamuella
Master Poster

which homeopaths rebrand conventional medicine? This isn't one I've heard of before.
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:13 AM   #3
thatGuy
New Blood

I know of one in South Africa. I doubt it is isolated. One of the ones they rebrand is a very strong blood pressure medicine. It could easily kill someone that tries the overdose demo.
thatGuy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Lamuella
Master Poster

so is the scam that they rebrand blood pressure medicine and then say it's a homeopathic remedy that will help your blood pressure?
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:21 AM   #5
madurobob
Philosopher

I've never heard any any homeopathic preparations being simply re-branded medicine. But, I have heard of some homeopathic preparations having actual medicine in them. All you have to do is read the label. Only a fool would take anything claiming to be medicine without reading the label and knowing what the contents were.

In fact, all of the demonstrations I've seen, including the one I saw with Randi said just that. Something along the lines of "don't do this at home without knowing that your homeopathic preparation is, in fact, homeopathic".
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by thatGuy View Post
I know of one in South Africa. I doubt it is isolated. One of the ones they rebrand is a very strong blood pressure medicine.

Are you sure it was being described as homoeopathic and not herbal? I've seen cases of herbal medicines being adulterated, but not homoeopathic ones.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:52 AM   #7
volcano
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Are you sure it was being described as homoeopathic and not herbal? I've seen cases of herbal medicines being adulterated, but not homoeopathic ones.
Zicam Nasal Gel/Swaps weren't adulturated, per se, but the "homeopathic" concentration of zinc was high enough that it caused anosmia (loss of smell, potentially permanent) in >100 people (Science Based Medicine article on the FDA's warning). Technically it was a homeopathic dilution (2X, or 1:100 I think), which got them around all of the FDA's requirements for "real" drugs (until the reports of anosmia started rolling in). Presumably the same thing could be done with other "homeopathic" preparations?
volcano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

Some "homeopathic" preparations may include herbs and other active ingredients in sufficient concentration to actually impact someone's health. Labels must be read and demonstrations should be done with "reputable" homeopathic brands.
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Zicam Nasal Gel/Swaps weren't adulturated, per se, but the "homeopathic" concentration of zinc was high enough that it caused anosmia (loss of smell, potentially permanent) in >100 people (Science Based Medicine article on the FDA's warning). Technically it was a homeopathic dilution (2X, or 1:100 I think), which got them around all of the FDA's requirements for "real" drugs (until the reports of anosmia started rolling in). Presumably the same thing could be done with other "homeopathic" preparations?

That's a different issue, though - I think it was accuartely labelled as "2X" or whatever.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:50 AM   #10
volcano
Critical Thinker

That's a different issue, though - I think it was accuartely labelled as "2X" or whatever.
True, I should have been more clear on my point-- I meant to suggest that overdosing on "homeopathic" preparations can occasionally be hazardous even if it hasn't been adulterated with something.
volcano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

As well, many "alternative medicines" use the term Homeopathic even when it doesn't apply simply beause it sounds science-ish.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2011, 11:37 PM   #12
thatGuy
New Blood

A bit of a late reply but here goes..

I'm talking about rebranded, repackaged blood pressure tablets, etc. There is absolutely no indication as to what ingredients are contained as the packaging is plain with a sticker on the side. These medicines are trusted because all the counting and packaging is done at the homeopath and is assumed to be above board.

And, no. Homeopathic, not herbal.
Old 7th November 2011, 06:35 AM   #13
madurobob
Philosopher

So, do you have a link or some sort of evidence showing this behavior is indeed going on?
Old 8th November 2011, 12:07 AM   #14
thatGuy
New Blood

Nothing concrete. My wife worked at the homeopath in question. She has a list of their substitutions somewhere. I'll have a look if we can find it tonight.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:21 AM   #15
caniswalensis
Master Poster

I believe that the word 'homeopathic' is completely unregulated in the US. THe FDA does not recognize it.

That means anyone can slap it on anything. The Zicam fiasco is a good example.

This ramps up the danger of homeopathic items im my mind. people can by them over the counter & take them at will. This may breed a casual attitude towards them that will end badly when they get a hold of a remedy that has a bonified active ingredient.
"...The chief deficiency I see in the skeptical movement is its polarization: Us vs. Them -- the sense that we have a monopoly on the truth; that those other people who believe in all these stupid doctrines are morons; that if you're sensible, you'll listen to us; and if not, to hell with you. This is nonconstructive. It does not get our message across. It condemns us to permanent minority status." - Carl Sagan
caniswalensis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 02:18 AM   #16
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

In the US is it a requirement that the ingredients be listed? Or when you buy drugs or food are you buying an unknown quantity?

Edit. The reason I am asking is because looking at the list of ingredients would make it obvious if the contents were herbs, medicines or homoeopathic.

Last edited by rjh01; 8th November 2011 at 02:25 AM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 02:33 AM   #17
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

What is the OD demo supposed to demonstrate?
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 02:42 AM   #18
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
What is the OD demo supposed to demonstrate?
That homoeopathic drugs have no effect, obviously.

Not very scientific, and homoeopathic doctrine does not work with dose dependency, so overdosing is really irrelevant, but it is a good publicity stunt.

- And seriously, homoeopaths should have a hard time explaining why there are no proving symptoms.

Hans
Old 8th November 2011, 03:30 AM   #19
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
And seriously, homoeopaths should have a hard time explaining why there are no proving symptoms.

Their explanation will be that in these overdoses all the pills are taken at about the same time. In "provings" the remedy is taken at intervals over days or weeks.

Old 8th November 2011, 04:25 AM   #20
caniswalensis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
In the US is it a requirement that the ingredients be listed? Or when you buy drugs or food are you buying an unknown quantity?

Edit. The reason I am asking is because looking at the list of ingredients would make it obvious if the contents were herbs, medicines or homoeopathic.
yes, but they are also allowed to put 'homeopathic' on anything.

Zicam is a good example. It had a real, active ingredient that was capable of doing harm, yet it said 'homeopathic' on the label, confusing the issue.
"...The chief deficiency I see in the skeptical movement is its polarization: Us vs. Them -- the sense that we have a monopoly on the truth; that those other people who believe in all these stupid doctrines are morons; that if you're sensible, you'll listen to us; and if not, to hell with you. This is nonconstructive. It does not get our message across. It condemns us to permanent minority status." - Carl Sagan
caniswalensis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 04:50 AM   #21
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
True, I should have been more clear on my point-- I meant to suggest that overdosing on "homeopathic" preparations can occasionally be hazardous even if it hasn't been adulterated with something.
That is because frankly, this is *not* homeopathic. Anything in that range of dilution labelled as homeopathic is a fraud used to work around medicine regulations.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 09:57 AM   #22
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

Yes, the FDA regulates homeopathic medicines and they must follow standard ingredient labeling regulations. They are, however, exempt from most of the FDA testing for efficacy, testing for stated strength, etc...
Old 8th November 2011, 02:15 PM   #23
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

That homoeopathic drugs have no effect, obviously.

Not very scientific, and homoeopathic doctrine does not work with dose dependency, so overdosing is really irrelevant, but it is a good publicity stunt.

- And seriously, homoeopaths should have a hard time explaining why there are no proving symptoms.

Hans
Their explanation will be that in these overdoses all the pills are taken at about the same time. In "provings" the remedy is taken at intervals over days or weeks.
Yes, I saw a video of Randi introducing this publicity stunt and was shocked by how crude and irrelevant it was.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2011, 01:32 AM   #24
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I saw a video of Randi introducing this publicity stunt and was shocked by how crude and irrelevant it was.
OTOH, not half as crude and irrelevant as homoeopathy itself, so .....

Hans
Old 9th November 2011, 01:50 AM   #25
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

OTOH, not half as crude and irrelevant as homoeopathy itself, so .....

Hans
Tu quoque fallacy, so also irrelevant.
Old 9th November 2011, 02:15 AM   #26
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps. OTOH, that works both ways.

Why do you slam Randi, but not homoeopaths?

Hans
Old 9th November 2011, 12:58 PM   #27
mike3
Master Poster

Regardless, homeopathy still doesn't work and I've got a lot more to back this assertion up than a tacky "OD demo", which to me looks to be more of a venting of frustration (about people continuing to believe this thoroughly disproven crap) than anything else.
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and cosuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – a reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2011, 01:09 PM   #28
ehcks
Master Poster

It's more like satire.

You look at their claim, (that homeopathy works, and that the overdose warning label is meaningful) pretend it's true, and use it to make a common sense conclusion about what that claim would mean. If homeopathy worked, and if the overdose warning label made sense, eating 64 homeopathic sleeping pills would either make you pass out or kill you.

If A then B. If not B then not A.

Eating 64 pills does nothing. The pills don't work and the warning is a lie. So they have false advertising and misleading claims.

Last edited by ehcks; 9th November 2011 at 01:10 PM.
ehcks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2011, 06:18 PM   #29
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

I think the demo is effective because many people, myself included until a few years ago, thought that homeopathy was some sort of herbal therapy. I assumed that homeopathy contained something active. I suppose that someone could have said, "It contains nothing." I'd think "Really?" And someone could say, "Yeah, look. I'm gonna swallow this whole bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills. I won't get drowsy. I won't get sick. I won't pass out. I won't die. Nothing will happen. Because there's nothing in them."

That would be fairly convincing. Yes, it might be that I am stupid to not know what they are in the first place. I might be lazy for not doing research on it, myself. But the demo might do something to convince the stupid and lazy.

I think it does. I have no more evidence for that belief than most advertisers have to believe in their advertisements. I fear that convincing people is an inexact science.

Ward
Old 5th January 2012, 07:42 AM   #30
Stomatopoda
Muse

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
I think the demo is effective because many people, myself included until a few years ago, thought that homeopathy was some sort of herbal therapy. I assumed that homeopathy contained something active. I suppose that someone could have said, "It contains nothing." I'd think "Really?" And someone could say, "Yeah, look. I'm gonna swallow this whole bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills. I won't get drowsy. I won't get sick. I won't pass out. I won't die. Nothing will happen. Because there's nothing in them."
Yep. Same for myself, as well as everyone I've talked to. People who haven't done any research generally just assume that "homeopathic" is another word for "naturopathic" and/or contains herbs, etc.

Homeopathic "overdose" demonstrations should be something like diluting a grain of sugar to 80000C for instant diabetes, or something, but that would only get a chuckle out of people who've already looked into it. Hmm... or maybe giving a homeopath an "underdose" of an undiluted homeopathic "ingredient" like datura. Would be fairly amusing when they start seeing spiders seep out of the walls.

Last edited by Stomatopoda; 5th January 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2012, 11:13 PM   #31
Aegist
Student

When ultimately we are talking about changing the minds of credulous people who are swayed by simple claims and assertions, then publicity stunts become valuable weapons.

Fact is, skeptics have had logic, rationality and facts on their side the whole time. Yet still people believe in nonsense. Using psychology to the advantage of skeptics is never irrelevant.
Aegist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2012, 04:44 AM   #32
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

Originally Posted by thatGuy View Post
Hi

I watched James in some or other TedX video drinking a whole box of homeopathic sleeping pills. It has come to my attention that some homeopaths rebrand conventional medicine and sell it as homeopathic. The demonstration should be made with a warning or disclaimer against something like this.
This must rank as one of the most bizarre and pointless demonstrations ever conceived, because no homeopath would expect a whole box of pills to have any different an effect than taking just one pill.

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
It's more like satire.

You look at their claim, (that homeopathy works, and that the overdose warning label is meaningful) pretend it's true, and use it to make a common sense conclusion about what that claim would mean. If homeopathy worked, and if the overdose warning label made sense, eating 64 homeopathic sleeping pills would either make you pass out or kill you.
No, it wouldn't.

I've never seen an overdose warning label on homeopathic products. If they are there, it is because outside regulators stipulate it, just as they stipulate, irrelevantly to homeopaths' minds, that there must be a children's and an adult dose.

Quote:
If A then B. If not B then not A.

Eating 64 pills does nothing. The pills don't work and the warning is a lie. So they have false advertising and misleading claims.
That's only logical if you ignore the actual claims that homeopaths make for their pills.

Last edited by JihadJane; 18th June 2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 18th June 2012, 08:33 AM   #33
Aegist
Student

Thumbs down

This must rank as one of the most bizarre and pointless demonstrations ever conceived, because no homeopath would expect a whole box of pills to have any different an effect than taking just one pill.
But homeopaths expect one pill to have an effect beyond placebo, so homeopath expectations are pretty irrelevant really.

What matters are the expectations of the audience. It is a STUNT. I don't think Randi would deny that. He is, afterall, a magician - doing stunts and getting reactions is what he knows. And this stunt plays on the fact that most people would expect that if one pill does X, then ten pills should do, roughly speaking, 10X.

The expectation comes from reality - repeated experience with every other type of drug conditions us to expect it. So why is homeopathy suddenly the exception to this rule?

The fact that the peddlers of woo have a non-sense magical get out of jail free explanation doesn't matter when the audience suddenly has a moment of realisation that this stunt has just demonstrated that clearly homeopathy breaks away from all other normal experiences.
Aegist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2012, 08:48 AM   #34
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

Originally Posted by Aegist View Post
But homeopaths expect one pill to have an effect beyond placebo, so homeopath expectations are pretty irrelevant really.

What matters are the expectations of the audience. It is a STUNT. I don't think Randi would deny that. He is, afterall, a magician - doing stunts and getting reactions is what he knows. And this stunt plays on the fact that most people would expect that if one pill does X, then ten pills should do, roughly speaking, 10X.
Not if they know anything about how homeopathy claims to work they won't. Randi is just demonstrating is own apparent ignorance about what he is trying to expose.

Quote:
The expectation comes from reality - repeated experience with every other type of drug conditions us to expect it. So why is homeopathy suddenly the exception to this rule?
People invariably turn to homeopathy because they distrust "every other type of drug". They know that homeopathy claims to work in a radically different way.

Quote:
The fact that the peddlers of woo have a non-sense magical get out of jail free explanation doesn't matter when the audience suddenly has a moment of realisation that this stunt has just demonstrated that clearly homeopathy breaks away from all other normal experiences.
If the audience have any knowledge of how homeopathy claims to work (unlike Randi, apparently!) they will be distinctly unimpressed by this magician's stunt! They will say "So what?"

Personally I am unimpressed when people claiming to be rational employ demeaning baby language to bolster their arguments.

Last edited by JihadJane; 18th June 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:29 AM   #35
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Not if they know anything about how homeopathy claims to work they won't. Randi is just demonstrating is own apparent ignorance about what he is trying to expose.
I think you are right. But the target is people who think there's something in homeopathic treatments. I have no evidence, but I'm guessing most people (at least in the US) think that homeopathic treatments are some sort of herbal treatment that contains some sort of ingredient that's designed to help them. The OD demonstration informs them that there is no active ingredient in homeopathic treatments whatsoever. It does so in a more memorable way than simply telling them that it is so.

That, I believe, is the purpose of the demonstration.

Ward
Old 20th June 2012, 08:30 AM   #36
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

I think you are right. But the target is people who think there's something in homeopathic treatments. I have no evidence, but I'm guessing most people (at least in the US) think that homeopathic treatments are some sort of herbal treatment that contains some sort of ingredient that's designed to help them. The OD demonstration informs them that there is no active ingredient in homeopathic treatments whatsoever. It does so in a more memorable way than simply telling them that it is so.

That, I believe, is the purpose of the demonstration.

Ward
I guess it would make a useful promotional tool for homeopaths who want to communicate that their pills have no harmful side-effects.
Old 20th June 2012, 10:39 AM   #37
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

I guess it would make a useful promotional tool for homeopaths who want to communicate that their pills have no harmful side-effects.
It's also a useful promotional tool for skeptics to communicate that the pills have no effects---side, up, down or any other kind of effects whatsoever.

Ward
Old 21st June 2012, 03:22 AM   #38
JihadJane
Penultimate Satisfaction

It's also a useful promotional tool for skeptics to communicate that the pills have no effects---side, up, down or any other kind of effects whatsoever.

Ward
It doesn't even demonstrate that. It's just one dose. You could take one dose of antibiotics rather than a full course but the lack of effects wouldn't demonstrate the inefficacy of antibiotics.
Old 21st June 2012, 06:47 AM   #39
Pup
Illuminator

It doesn't even demonstrate that. It's just one dose. You could take one dose of antibiotics rather than a full course but the lack of effects wouldn't demonstrate the inefficacy of antibiotics.
A whole bottle of pills is far more than one dose, and would definitely have some effect if it were a typical "real" medicine. The whole point is to mimic the dangerous action of swallowing a whole bottle of real medicine, then showing that nothing happens.

A more subtle stunt, which fewer people would get but which would more accurate mock homoepathic theory, would be to properly dilute a dose far beyond the recommended number of times, and then take that without effect.
Pup is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 12:14 PM   #40
Stomatopoda
Muse

The point isn't to reach the woos who already believe in homeopathy. No demonstration will ever change their minds.
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Latest Commentary Issues