JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags Anne McCaffrey , Diana Gabeldon , Lois Bujold , science fiction , Sharon Lee , Steve Miller

Old 8th April 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

Science Fiction romances - Looking for suggestions

My wife is looking for suggestions of books to read set in a science fiction universe but a romance is the major driver of the plot. None of the regular authors I can think of will fit this bill. Is there however some cross genre authors that may be able to quench her literary thirst
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
My wife is looking for suggestions of books to read set in a science fiction universe but a romance is the major driver of the plot. None of the regular authors I can think of will fit this bill. Is there however some cross genre authors that may be able to quench her literary thirst
Anne McCaffrey? Crystal Singer, Ship Who Sang. Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil.
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:45 AM   #3
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Anne McCaffrey? Crystal Singer, Ship Who Sang. Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil.
Thanks - I never read McCaffrey, but will pass it on - Good catch on I will fear no evil - completely forgot about that
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Thanks - I never read McCaffrey, but will pass it on - Good catch on I will fear no evil - completely forgot about that
Wait- do you like your wife? "I will Fear no Evil" is awful and not a little bit condescending and patronizing to women.

My wife is fond of Diana Gabeldon, which involves time travel but is shelved in the "Romance" section usually.

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen

Last edited by Piscivore; 8th April 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 09:17 AM   #5
FattyCatty
Picky V. Nitty

Absolutely what you describe is A Civil Campaign by Lois McMasters Bujold. It's an homage to Georgette Heyer and is funny to boot. A great book.

ETA: There also are some books by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller that fit the description. Probably The Agent Gambit (two books in one), Mouse and Dragon, and The Dragon Variation (an omibus of three) are the most romance-driven. They are available from Baen Books as both books and ebooks. Mouse and Dragon is a sequel to one of the books in The Dragon Variation.

[/grammar nazi][/Dept of Grammar Security] ftfy -- Wudang
Proud member of SCOFF (SoCal Opposing Feline Filleting)

Last edited by FattyCatty; 8th April 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Thought of something else.
FattyCatty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 09:19 AM   #6
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
Wait- do you like your wife? "I will Fear no Evil" is awful and not a little bit condescending and patronizing to women.

My wife is fond of Diana Gabeldon, which involves time travel but is shelved in the "Romance" section usually.
LOL - So you are suggesting I should get more in touch with my feminine side first huh?
Old 8th April 2012, 10:58 AM   #7
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Anne McCaffrey? Crystal Singer, Ship Who Sang.

+1
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Soapy Sam
NLH

You might try Cherry's "Morgaine" series - it's not exactly a romance, because, as always with Cherryh's characters, the relationship betwen characters is complex and contradictory - but the hero and heroine do get together in book four, albeit not for long.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

And plenty of sword-swingin', arrow-shootin' action in between. I love the Morgaine books; the characters are very well drawn and though the story is set primarily in "medieval" settings, there is a strong science-fiction underpinning.
Morgaine's sword, Changeling, is an awesome weapon, tearing a hole in reality, as it were.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Morrigan
Crone of War

Not sci-fi, but she might enjoy The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's set in the universe of the Arthurian legends, but the main protagonists/points of view are all women.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 01:23 PM   #11
SonOfLaertes
Muse

Lois McMasters Bujold's Chalion series books, while not science fiction, are fantasy novels with a strong undercurrent of romance.
Best concise summary of Intelligent Design's never-changing key argument: “ the improbability of assembly of functional sequence all at once from scratch by brute chance” (Nick Matske, Panda's Thumb).
SonOfLaertes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator

All About Romance has a search engine and you can search by category.

I like the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. It's more steampunk than SciFi, but it's good.

Facts are satanic litter on the heavenly highway to blind faith! - Betty Bowers
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 02:41 PM   #13
Gawdzilla

There's that great love affair between Frodo and Sam.

Or did I read that all wrong?
Gawdzilla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Lisa Simpson
Evil Minion
Administrator

There's that great love affair between Frodo and Sam.
Or did I read that all wrong?
Merry and Pippin, too. Not that there's anything wrong with homohobbitsexuality.

Facts are satanic litter on the heavenly highway to blind faith! - Betty Bowers
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 05:15 PM   #15
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely going to explore most of these, perhaps not the Frodo - Sam thing lol

Lisa thanks for that link - lots of different combinations there aside from what I asked for
Old 8th April 2012, 05:31 PM   #16
slow lurker
Scholar

eBook or paper?
If eBook, try Lois McMaster Bujold's Cordelia's Honor -
Baen books:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-85-cordelias-honor.aspx
It is the precursor to the Miles Vorkosigan books, but stands alone very well, IMO.
slow lurker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 03:48 AM   #17
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
Merry and Pippin, too. Not that there's anything wrong with homohobbitsexuality.
And the perceptive pick up on the Gandalf/Saruman thing quickly. There's some history there.
Old 9th April 2012, 04:37 AM   #18
epepke
Philosopher

Frederik Pohl did this sometimes. For example, Gateway and its sequels (which IMO drop in quality after the first two).

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Gawdzilla

One bloggers' list (includes romances and they're marked on the list.)

http://www.thegalaxyexpress.net/2010...e-fiction.html
Old 10th April 2012, 01:58 AM   #20
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

One bloggers' list (includes romances and they're marked on the list.)

http://www.thegalaxyexpress.net/2010...e-fiction.html
Hmmm. I'm a bit doubtful about any list that classes Haldeman's The Forever War as "Romantic SF".
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 02:07 AM   #21
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
Let's face it, I doubt she'll get the subtler points though. The pretty lil' thing.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 04:19 AM   #22
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Hmmm. I'm a bit doubtful about any list that classes Haldeman's The Forever War as "Romantic SF".
There's a romance in there, epic at the end because of the way they synchronize their timelines.
Old 10th April 2012, 04:21 AM   #23
Gawdzilla

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Let's face it, I doubt she'll get the subtler points though. The pretty lil' thing.
Virginia would slap you both.
Old 10th April 2012, 07:54 AM   #24
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

The Host by Stephanie Meyer .
Old 10th April 2012, 08:03 AM   #25
Tatsu
Student

The Sholan Alliance novels by Lisanne Norman.
Tatsu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 08:45 AM   #26
MortFurd
Graduate Poster

Try the Phoenix Legacy trilogy from M.K. Wren.
The Sword of the Lamb
The Shadow of the Swan
The House of the Wolf

Really interesting stuff. The romance part runs through all three books, but the series isn't just about that. Very complex and well thought out.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 09:13 AM   #27
Beady
Philosopher

I always liked the Neil and Buzz subplot in Apollo 11.
I tolerate with utmost latitude the right of others to differ with me in opinion without imputing to them criminality. I know too well all the weaknesses and uncertainty of human reason to wonder at its different results. -- Thomas Jefferson

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 09:30 AM   #28
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

Location: Trying to decide whether to set defenses against an army, or against mole rats.
Anne McCaffrey's Talent/Tower series is pretty much all romance, but somewhat 2-dimensional. The previously mention Crystal Singer and Ship Who Sang are much better.

My personal favorite though, if she is looking for hard sci-fi, was Primary Inversion by Catharine Asaro. Since she has a strong background in physics, it didn't feel as contrived as the many sci fi novels written primarily by romance writers. Depending on whether your wife is more interested in the romance, or in the science, this may be a good choice.

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 11:10 AM   #29
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

There's a romance in there, epic at the end because of the way they synchronize their timelines.
Well yes. But it's buried under the future shock, warfare, social changes, et cetera.

I seem to remember Mandala spending more time agonising about his sexual deviancy (by future standards), command problems, sense of duty and trying to survive than wondering about Marygay.
I've seen more romance in some of Weber's Honorverse books.

[Especially when Cachet and Palane are around.............]
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 02:04 PM   #30
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Well yes. But it's buried under the future shock, warfare, social changes, et cetera.

I seem to remember Mandala spending more time agonising about his sexual deviancy (by future standards), command problems, sense of duty and trying to survive than wondering about Marygay.
I've seen more romance in some of Weber's Honorverse books.

[Especially when Cachet and Palane are around.............]

If you read Haldeman's "definitive" edition there's more romantic stuff when they're back on Earth.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 03:13 PM   #31
Senex
Illuminator

Stephen King's Misery has a certain romanticism.

She wants to read science fiction? She is already married you? I would go with this. What do you have to lose?

Walter White
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 04:17 PM   #32
jakesteele
Graduate Poster

http://www.amazon.com/BEST-SciFi-Rom...R1PCL1V9C2MX7K

http://www.goodreads.com/genres/science-fiction-romance

*** http://www.thegalaxyexpress.net/2010...e-fiction.html
Old 12th April 2012, 07:08 AM   #33
3point14
Pi

I find the love story between Arthur and Fenchurch in so Long and Thanks For All The fish to be very sweet.

Of course, you do need to read through two other books first to get to it in context.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:24 AM   #34
Steve
Graduate Poster

There is an ongoing romance between Elijah Baley and Gladia in the early Asimov "robot" books. See The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun and The Robots of Dawn. Not sure that the romance is the major driver of the plot though.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:09 AM   #35
Mark6
Philosopher

Of the books listed so far, all which I read involve romance, but do not have it as major driver of the plot. "The Forever War" comes closest, and that's not very close.

I cannot judge about ones I had not read, but generally romance in science fiction tends to be relegated to subplots. And in (sadly misnamed IMO) "Golden Age of SF" romance simply did not exist.

Last edited by Mark6; 13th April 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Mark6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2012, 09:56 PM   #36
FattyCatty
Picky V. Nitty

Originally Posted by Mark6 View Post
Of the books listed so far, all which I read involve romance, but do not have it as major driver of the plot. "The Forever War" comes closest, and that's not very close.

I cannot judge about ones I had not read, but generally romance in science fiction tends to be relegated to subplots. And in (sadly misnamed IMO) "Golden Age of SF" romance simply did not exist.
I disagree. A Civil Campaign is a romance.

[/grammar nazi][/Dept of Grammar Security] ftfy -- Wudang
Proud member of SCOFF (SoCal Opposing Feline Filleting)
FattyCatty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2012, 01:11 PM   #37
Jarlaxle
Critical Thinker

My wife suggests Mercedes Lackey and Anne McCafferey. (Note: I do not like either one, read at your own risk.)

I have to suggest Elaine Cunningham's Songs and Swords books. (First book is Elfshadow.) There are five...but you must bear in mind that while they ARE standalone stories, each is intended as a part of one larger story.
Jarlaxle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2012, 06:17 PM   #38
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Another Bujold series that is built entirely around a romance arc (that is, is definitely a romance) is The Sharing Knife trilogy. It's fantasy more than SF, but it has few fantasy tropes and some SF qualities; it's a low-tech but technologically developing post-collapse world, much closer to 19th century America than medieval Europe. Cause and effect, not prophecies and destiny, drive the plot.

ETA: For pure fantasy that is about 50-50 romance-adventure (the romance plots are paramount, not side issues), there's also Jacqueline Carey.

Last edited by Myriad; 14th April 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2012, 08:49 PM   #39
JSFolk
Critical Thinker

How about The Time Traveler's Wife? It's romantic, with a twist. Not really what you'd call "Science Fiction", but definitely not a normal situation.

And say what you will about The Forever War, but when he opens the letter at the end it gets me. Every. Time.
JSFolk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2012, 02:08 AM   #40
VanillaCone
Muse

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
Hobbosexuals?

JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts