JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 4th April 2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Caper
Illuminator

Where do the ultra rich keep their money?

I know it's a bit if a weird question. But where would someone like Bill Gates keep his money? Would he have like 400 million available in his checking account? He has like 50 billion or something. Would he have a few billion sitting in some high interest savings account earning like 3 % a year like you or me would..... I mean that could be like 300 million in a year for just sitting there..... Would you have to pay income tax on that money?

Besides buying weird art for insane prices.... What do the rich do with their money?
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 09:27 AM   #2
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
I know it's a bit if a weird question. But where would someone like Bill Gates keep his money? Would he have like 400 million available in his checking account? He has like 50 billion or something. Would he have a few billion sitting in some high interest savings account earning like 3 % a year like you or me would..... I mean that could be like 300 million in a year for just sitting there..... Would you have to pay income tax on that money?

Besides buying weird art for insane prices.... What do the rich do with their money?
They keep it in a secret vault guarded by specially trained crocodiles with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Seriously, though, most wealth isn't in cash, but in various investments. Savings accounts could be one option, but you don't get rich by being that conservative with your money.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 09:38 AM   #4
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Stocks, bonds, real estate, cars, mansions, yachts, art, etc.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Switzerland.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:02 AM   #6
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Seriously though, Yahoo Finance tells us that Bill Gates owns 500,981,726 shares of Microsoft. That's worth somewhere north of $15.5 billion today; I don't know where the rest of his money is, but $15.5 billion is big money even by Bill Gates standards.

I assume his savings account is pretty impressive too, but it's not likely to be a major part of his assets. There's no need to be, either -- Microsoft pays a $0.20 quarterly dividend which adds up to real money if you hold half a billion shares, so cash is a renewable resource for him.
Old 4th April 2012, 12:48 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I assume his savings account is pretty impressive too, but it's not likely to be a major part of his assets. There's no need to be, either -- Microsoft pays a $0.20 quarterly dividend which adds up to real money if you hold half a billion shares, so cash is a renewable resource for him.
Meh. It's only about $400,000,000 per year.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Saule
Scholar

They keep it in a portfolio.
Saule is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Sir Robin Goodfellow
Master Poster

I say in a shoebox under the bed, or perhaps in a pickle jar buried in the yard.
Sir Robin Goodfellow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 04:08 AM   #10
Warmer1
Critical Thinker

I love the statistic that he would lose money picking up a $1,000 bill.
Warmer1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 04:15 AM   #11
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Psi Baba View Post
Switzerland.
This. As far as cash money is concerned.

But mostly in investments.
Old 5th April 2012, 05:07 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Their butts, of course. It's nature's hiding place.
Old 5th April 2012, 06:23 AM   #13
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Sorry, the common folk are not allowed to know this information. They have special protections for their money that are not accessible to anyone below a certain income level, who could actually benefit individually a great deal more from this protection than some of the ultra rich.

I think the biggest scam the rich have pulled off on people is that so many common folks think that they realistiacally have a chance to become ultra rich themselves, and as such they should strive to protect these special benefits for them in case they ever get into the billionare club...
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 06:34 AM   #14
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
Sorry, the common folk are not allowed to know this information. They have special protections for their money that are not accessible to anyone below a certain income level, who could actually benefit individually a great deal more from this protection than some of the ultra rich.

I think the biggest scam the rich have pulled off on people is that so many common folks think that they realistiacally have a chance to become ultra rich themselves, and as such they should strive to protect these special benefits for them in case they ever get into the billionare club...
Example?

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 07:45 AM   #15
NewtonTrino
Illuminator

Obviously most of Bill's wealth is tied up in MS and this is the case for most Billionaires, they usually own a lot of stock in something.

For small amounts of cash (like 10's of millions) they likely work with a bank that can move it into commercial paper until it's needed. Businesses do this kind of stuff all the time for short term working capital and the banks have special staff and systems to cater to moving money around to various accounts. So say you have $5M in working capital and you have a few million in expenses a month. You can part that money in commercial paper (that makes slightly better interest than a bank account) and then move it over to your checking account right before it's needed. There is no reason high net worth individuals couldn't use similar strategies for managing liquid capital.
NewtonTrino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 03:59 PM   #16
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by NewtonTrino View Post
Obviously most of Bill's wealth is tied up in MS
Actually, not any more. Bill Gates is worth over $60 billion, but his stake in Microsoft is worth 'only' some $15 billion.

BTW, since he is a Microsoft insider, his MSFT trades are public knowledge. He's been selling millions and millions of MSFT shares; he's probably selling whenever it's legal for an insider to sell.
Old 5th April 2012, 04:23 PM   #17
NewtonTrino
Illuminator

Actually, not any more. Bill Gates is worth over $60 billion, but his stake in Microsoft is worth 'only' some $15 billion.

BTW, since he is a Microsoft insider, his MSFT trades are public knowledge. He's been selling millions and millions of MSFT shares; he's probably selling whenever it's legal for an insider to sell.
He's been diversifying for many years which is only smart. I didn't realize he was that out of the stock but it makes sense at this point.
NewtonTrino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 04:34 PM   #18
Caper
Illuminator

Ok. If Bill Gates would get an income off his shares in Microsoft, would he pay income tax on that money?
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2012, 05:00 PM   #19
NewtonTrino
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Ok. If Bill Gates would get an income off his shares in Microsoft, would he pay income tax on that money?
Currently microsoft is paying about $0.2 per share every quarter. In roundish numbers I think Bill owns around 1 billion shares so he would be getting $200M a quarter now in dividends. This would then be taxed at the dividend tax rate.

If he sells any of them he would pay capital gains which is probably the same rate as the dividend rate. His basis is pretty close to zero so he would pay tax on pretty much the entire proceeds.

This assumes he isn't using any tax dodges like giving the money to charity
Old 6th April 2012, 01:20 AM   #20
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Currently microsoft is paying about $0.2 per share every quarter. In roundish numbers I think Bill owns around 1 billion shares so he would be getting $200M a quarter now in dividends.
Yeah, if you round it up to the closest billion, it's 1 billion. As per the link I posted, at the end of January 2012, he had 500,981,726 shares.
Old 6th April 2012, 01:54 AM   #21
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Obviously most of Bill's wealth is tied up in MS and this is the case for most Billionaires, they usually own a lot of stock in something.
First generation certainly.

Quote:
For small amounts of cash (like 10's of millions) they likely work with a bank that can move it into commercial paper until it's needed. Businesses do this kind of stuff all the time for short term working capital and the banks have special staff and systems to cater to moving money around to various accounts. So say you have $5M in working capital and you have a few million in expenses a month. You can part that money in commercial paper (that makes slightly better interest than a bank account) and then move it over to your checking account right before it's needed. There is no reason high net worth individuals couldn't use similar strategies for managing liquid capital.
Possible but unlikely. If there is any group of individuals that treats amounts of over 10 million as a small amount of cash it's pretty hard to trace (a few memebers of the house of saud maybe). Predictable expenses would probably be better handed through a company in any case (large house with multiple staff for example).

Of course billionaires are pretty much those by defintion who could afford to hold a few million in a current account without worring about lost earnings.

Further down the scale there are ultra high net worth individuals but while there is some info on their portfolio approaches there isn't much on their day to day spending mechanisms.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2012, 01:59 AM   #22
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I'm astounded to see that Gates has sold about $1b of his Microsoft stock. What's he investing in, Apple?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2012, 05:26 AM   #23
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I'm astounded to see that Gates has sold about $1b of his Microsoft stock. What's he investing in, Apple?
His foundation.

Old 6th April 2012, 01:18 PM   #24
sam81292
New Blood

Basically they just think of numbers in their heads and claim thats how rich they are.
sam81292 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2012, 01:33 PM   #25
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by sam81292 View Post
Basically they just think of numbers in their heads and claim thats how rich they are.
That's just Donald Trump.
Old 6th April 2012, 01:47 PM   #26
The_Animus
Graduate Poster

I'm a Fillionair!

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2012, 02:58 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
His foundation.
http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pages/home.aspx

--
ETA: Apparently I'm the only person who believes that being on the Internet means never having to ask for basic information.

Last edited by theprestige; 6th April 2012 at 02:59 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2012, 11:59 AM   #28
uruk
Philosopher

Location: In the land of the Shatner stealing Mexico touchers
Actually MS, untill recently, owned a 150 million non-voting shares of Apple.

Abe Lincoln
uruk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2012, 03:56 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs24/300W..._vikung_fu.jpg

Seriously though, Yahoo Finance tells us that Bill Gates owns 500,981,726 shares of Microsoft. That's worth somewhere north of $15.5 billion today; I don't know where the rest of his money is, but $15.5 billion is big money even by Bill Gates standards.

Dammit it, beat me to the Scrooge Mc Duck reference....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2012, 05:27 PM   #30
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Dammit it, beat me to the Scrooge Mc Duck reference....
^ this
Old 12th April 2012, 06:34 PM   #31
Staffsknot
Student

If I knew, I would be ultra rich.
Staffsknot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2012, 12:33 AM   #32
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
Seriously, though, most wealth isn't in cash, but in various investments. Savings accounts could be one option, but you don't get rich by being that conservative with your money.
Or in other words: the ultra rich don't keep their money, they lend it out. At interest.

It is not so different for most of us ordinary rich people. It is not so much that I "keep" my money at the bank, but rather that the bank has a debt to me, which they can repay me bit by bit by paying for my groceries every time I use my PIN card, or by giving me money at the cash machine.

Keeping money is for poor people.
Old 13th April 2012, 01:33 AM   #33
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Staffsknot View Post
If I knew, I would be ultra rich.
Actually, it's the other way around. Yeah, the ultra-rich do have access to some investment vehicles that us mere mortals don't, like semi-closed funds with steep minimum investments, but they're generally not designed to make their clients rich (because they already are). I assume preserving capital has to be high on the priority list (unless the fund manager is Bernie Madoff or Allen Stanford).
Old 13th April 2012, 02:25 AM   #34
Skepticemea
Master Poster

No one's said "The Ultra Bank" yet?
Skepticemea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2012, 02:40 AM   #35
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Skepticemea View Post
No one's said "The Ultra Bank" yet?
Confession time: I googled it. Results were interesting. Hits include totally legit, transparent and trustworthy wealth management services, like the one that has one employer (pictured on the front page wearing a frown and a cheap suit) who uses a gmail account for business.

Madoff and Stanford were ruthless scammer bastards, but at least they had some class. If you didn't know the names, which one sounds most like a scam, Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC, The Stanford Financial Group, or Ultra High Net Worth Advisors?
Old 13th April 2012, 02:49 AM   #36
Skepticemea
Master Poster

Confession time: I googled it. Results were interesting. Hits include totally legit, transparent and trustworthy wealth management services, like the one that has one employer (pictured on the front page wearing a frown and a cheap suit) who uses a gmail account for business.

Madoff and Stanford were ruthless scammer bastards, but at least they had some class. If you didn't know the names, which one sounds most like a scam, Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC, The Stanford Financial Group, or Ultra High Net Worth Advisors?
Big Bern and The Cricketer's Wife Groper? I know them and their work.
Skepticemea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2012, 03:25 AM   #37
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

The point is, they were successful conmen because their businesses didn't have "SCAM" written all over them.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance