JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Reply
Old 16th April 2012, 07:46 PM   #81
Bill Thompson
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Redmond, Washington
Posts: 6,176
Q: If a dog could ask for an abortion, do we have the moral duty to rip out the unborn litter?

A: Oh heck, no, dogs are pets and cute little puppies bring joy to families. Even if the dog did not want them because she is an internet superstar () and does not want to look fat or whatever, these reasons are selfish and trivial.

Q: Couldn't one say that about human babies.

A: No.

Q: Why?

(sound of crickets)

Q: OK, could one say it is the same sort of thing in some cases for human babies?

(sound of crickets)


Look, I am pro-choice, so don't resort to name-calling like Liberals always do. I am just saying that this is an interesting angle to view this issue from.

Last edited by Bill Thompson; 16th April 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Bill Thompson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 07:47 PM   #82
AdMan
Philosopher
 
AdMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9,485
Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
Q: If a dog could ask for an abortion, do we have the moral duty to rip out the unborn litter?

A: Oh heck, no, dogs are pets and cute little puppies bring joy to families. Even if the dog did not want them because she is an internet superstar () and does not want to look fat or whatever, these reasons are selfish and trivial.

Q: Couldn't one say that about human babies.

A: No.

Q: Why?

(sound of crickets)

Q: OK, could one say it is the same sort of thing in some cases for human babies?

(sound of crickets)

They can't.


Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
The initial question is a joke. Anything implicit in that question is little more than a joke.

Trying to make a point on abortion rights by posting idiocy is a joke, whether the OP intended it or not.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
- Carl Sagan

Last edited by AdMan; 16th April 2012 at 09:04 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 07:56 PM   #83
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In my pants
Posts: 47,091
I love these inner fantasy dialogues. One day I'm going to collate them all into a book and call it "Things People Think People Say".
__________________
Australasian Skeptics Forum
More skepticism than you can poke a stick at
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 08:49 PM   #84
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster
 
Andrew Wiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: A small planet named for its dirt. You'll find it filed under 'mostly harmless'
Posts: 2,915
Originally Posted by LogicFail View Post
Hmmm, I suspect the cat's just don't care. Apathy can make testing difficult
In a similar vein, Honey Badgers are actually excellent mathematicians.
__________________
"Everyone takes the limits of his own vision for the limits of the
world." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 08:58 PM   #85
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster
 
Andrew Wiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: A small planet named for its dirt. You'll find it filed under 'mostly harmless'
Posts: 2,915
Originally Posted by Tacita View Post
I'm willing to buy Alex the African Grey parrot who died.
That, Sir, is an Ex-parrot. He's pushing up the daisies.
__________________
"Everyone takes the limits of his own vision for the limits of the
world." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 09:21 PM   #86
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lost Deimos Moon Base
Posts: 11,553
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
In a similar vein, Honey Badgers are actually excellent mathematicians.
But not as good as camels...
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 01:23 AM   #87
BravesFan
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 1,784
If a cricket could explain the situation of his 57 children and lonely wife at home to the spider , I'm sure that they might come upon a compromise, but they cannot, so the spider has a meal, and the cricket dies. That's life....sometimes condoms break missy :-)
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 01:54 AM   #88
Brian-M
Daydreamer
 
Brian-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Downunder
Posts: 6,366
Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
Q: If a dog could ask for an abortion, do we have the moral duty to rip out the unborn litter?

A: No. We have no moral obligation to grant or refuse abortions solely on the basis that an abortion has been requested, regardless of the species of the person making the request. (But this is irrelevant to whether or not it is immoral to do so.)

Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
A: Oh heck, no, dogs are pets and cute little puppies bring joy to families. Even if the dog did not want them because she is an internet superstar () and does not want to look fat or whatever, these reasons are selfish and trivial.

Q: Couldn't one say that about human babies.

A: No.

A: Yes. Cute little babies do bring joy to families in many instances, just like cute little puppies. Wanting to have an abortion simply for vanity might be a selfish and/or trivial reason in some cases.

For example; if her partner wanted a baby and the woman decides to deny her partner the opportunity to reproduce simply because she doesn't want to look fat/bloated for several months that would be a selfish and trivial reason. But not necessarily an invalid reason.

Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
Q: Why?

(sound of crickets)
Is anyone actually giving the responses you're providing? Or is this just a strawman argument created for the sake of making a fuss?

____________________________

Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post
Dogs Smarter Than Cats, Oxford Study Finds

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-205_162-7082868.html
And pigs are smarter than dogs.
__________________
"That is just what you feel, that isn't reality." - hamelekim
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 04:59 PM   #89
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 14,880
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
But not as good as camels...
Only because they count on their toes.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 06:13 PM   #90
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster
 
Weak Kitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lost and lonely...will you be my friend?
Posts: 1,910
Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
Look, I am pro-choice, so don't resort to name-calling like Liberals always do. I am just saying that this is an interesting angle to view this issue from.
I think the reason people are reacting so poorly is that many posters propose improbable situations as an underhanded debating tactic. Once one improbable setup has been accepted by the forum then additional improbabilities are added to bring the situation to whatever the debater wants it to be rather than what reality actually is.

Does anyone know if there is a term for this logical fallacy? It's not quite moving the goalposts since the shape, size, and location of the goalposts is changeable from the very beginning.
__________________
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 02:27 AM   #91
sphenisc
Illuminator
 
sphenisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,894
Originally Posted by Tacita View Post
I'm willing to buy Alex the African Grey parrot who died.
That saves me doing all the "pining for the fiords" bit then.
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 07:55 AM   #92
Seismosaurus
Illuminator
 
Seismosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Banbury
Posts: 3,923
Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
Look, I am pro-choice, so don't resort to name-calling like Liberals always do.
Well what should we resort to then? Because so far you've completely ignored those who have resorted to actually answering your questions and discussing the issues... apparently in favour of having conversations with yourself.
__________________
Promise of diamonds in eyes of coal
She carries beauty in her soul
Seismosaurus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 08:36 AM   #93
stokes234
Master Poster
 
stokes234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,295
Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
Q: If a dog could ask for an abortion, do we have the moral duty to rip out the unborn litter?

A: Oh heck, no, dogs are pets and cute little puppies bring joy to families. Even if the dog did not want them because she is an internet superstar () and does not want to look fat or whatever, these reasons are selfish and trivial.

words

Look, I am pro-choice, so don't resort to name-calling like Liberals always do. I am just saying that this is an interesting angle to view this issue from.
You appear to be saying that you're pro-choice for people, but not pro-choice for dogs in some absurd alternative reality, and therefore maybe you're not pro-choice for people.

I suggest that you're not actually pro-choice for people, you're just claiming you are as part of a weird debating strategy.
__________________
"I offer the world my genius. All I ask in return is that the world cover my expenses." Hugo Rune
stokes234 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 12:02 PM   #94
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 8,805
Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
If one of my pets became able to clearly request something of me, in my language, I'd have no problem honoring that request.
If one of my pets became able to clearly request something of me, in my language, I'd seriously consider the possibility I was having an acid flashback.

On a more serious note; the "talking" thing has been sufficiently debunked. As for animals having the same rights as humans, that's also nonsense. When they can demonstrate the same level of sentience, then they have the same rights. I'm all for supporting animal welfare and opposing cruelty; but the notion that animals can possibly have rights equal to humans is ludicrous to me.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon

Last edited by luchog; 19th April 2012 at 12:04 PM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.