JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 16th April 2012, 07:46 PM   #81
Bill Thompson
Banned

Q: If a dog could ask for an abortion, do we have the moral duty to rip out the unborn litter?

A: Oh heck, no, dogs are pets and cute little puppies bring joy to families. Even if the dog did not want them because she is an internet superstar () and does not want to look fat or whatever, these reasons are selfish and trivial.

Q: Couldn't one say that about human babies.

A: No.

Q: Why?

(sound of crickets)

Q: OK, could one say it is the same sort of thing in some cases for human babies?

(sound of crickets)

Look, I am pro-choice, so don't resort to name-calling like Liberals always do. I am just saying that this is an interesting angle to view this issue from.

Last edited by Bill Thompson; 16th April 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Bill Thompson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 07:47 PM   #82
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
Q: If a dog could ask for an abortion, do we have the moral duty to rip out the unborn litter?

A: Oh heck, no, dogs are pets and cute little puppies bring joy to families. Even if the dog did not want them because she is an internet superstar () and does not want to look fat or whatever, these reasons are selfish and trivial.

(sound of crickets)

Q: OK, could one say it is the same sort of thing in some cases for human babies?

(sound of crickets)

They can't.

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
The initial question is a joke. Anything implicit in that question is little more than a joke.

Trying to make a point on abortion rights by posting idiocy is a joke, whether the OP intended it or not.

Last edited by AdMan; 16th April 2012 at 09:04 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 07:56 PM   #83
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I love these inner fantasy dialogues. One day I'm going to collate them all into a book and call it "Things People Think People Say".
Old 16th April 2012, 08:49 PM   #84
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

Location: A small planet named for its dirt. You'll find it filed under 'mostly harmless'
Originally Posted by LogicFail View Post
Hmmm, I suspect the cat's just don't care. Apathy can make testing difficult
In a similar vein, Honey Badgers are actually excellent mathematicians.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 08:58 PM   #85
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

Location: A small planet named for its dirt. You'll find it filed under 'mostly harmless'
Originally Posted by Tacita View Post
I'm willing to buy Alex the African Grey parrot who died.
That, Sir, is an Ex-parrot. He's pushing up the daisies.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2012, 09:21 PM   #86
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
In a similar vein, Honey Badgers are actually excellent mathematicians.
But not as good as camels...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 01:23 AM   #87
BravesFan
Banned

If a cricket could explain the situation of his 57 children and lonely wife at home to the spider , I'm sure that they might come upon a compromise, but they cannot, so the spider has a meal, and the cricket dies. That's life....sometimes condoms break missy :-)
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2012, 01:54 AM   #88
Brian-M
Daydreamer

A: No. We have no moral obligation to grant or refuse abortions solely on the basis that an abortion has been requested, regardless of the species of the person making the request. (But this is irrelevant to whether or not it is immoral to do so.)

A: Yes. Cute little babies do bring joy to families in many instances, just like cute little puppies. Wanting to have an abortion simply for vanity might be a selfish and/or trivial reason in some cases.

For example; if her partner wanted a baby and the woman decides to deny her partner the opportunity to reproduce simply because she doesn't want to look fat/bloated for several months that would be a selfish and trivial reason. But not necessarily an invalid reason.

(sound of crickets)
Is anyone actually giving the responses you're providing? Or is this just a strawman argument created for the sake of making a fuss?

Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post
Dogs Smarter Than Cats, Oxford Study Finds

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-205_162-7082868.html
And pigs are smarter than dogs.
Old 17th April 2012, 04:59 PM   #89
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
But not as good as camels...
Only because they count on their toes.
Old 17th April 2012, 06:13 PM   #90
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

Look, I am pro-choice, so don't resort to name-calling like Liberals always do. I am just saying that this is an interesting angle to view this issue from.
I think the reason people are reacting so poorly is that many posters propose improbable situations as an underhanded debating tactic. Once one improbable setup has been accepted by the forum then additional improbabilities are added to bring the situation to whatever the debater wants it to be rather than what reality actually is.

Does anyone know if there is a term for this logical fallacy? It's not quite moving the goalposts since the shape, size, and location of the goalposts is changeable from the very beginning.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 02:27 AM   #91
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tacita View Post
I'm willing to buy Alex the African Grey parrot who died.
That saves me doing all the "pining for the fiords" bit then.
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2012, 07:55 AM   #92
Seismosaurus
Illuminator

Look, I am pro-choice, so don't resort to name-calling like Liberals always do.
Well what should we resort to then? Because so far you've completely ignored those who have resorted to actually answering your questions and discussing the issues... apparently in favour of having conversations with yourself.
Old 19th April 2012, 08:36 AM   #93
stokes234
Master Poster

words

You appear to be saying that you're pro-choice for people, but not pro-choice for dogs in some absurd alternative reality, and therefore maybe you're not pro-choice for people.

I suggest that you're not actually pro-choice for people, you're just claiming you are as part of a weird debating strategy.
Old 19th April 2012, 12:02 PM   #94
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
If one of my pets became able to clearly request something of me, in my language, I'd have no problem honoring that request.
If one of my pets became able to clearly request something of me, in my language, I'd seriously consider the possibility I was having an acid flashback.

On a more serious note; the "talking" thing has been sufficiently debunked. As for animals having the same rights as humans, that's also nonsense. When they can demonstrate the same level of sentience, then they have the same rights. I'm all for supporting animal welfare and opposing cruelty; but the notion that animals can possibly have rights equal to humans is ludicrous to me.

Last edited by luchog; 19th April 2012 at 12:04 PM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events