JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 23rd April 2012, 02:43 PM   #1
casebro
Philosopher

Google comes up "404 not found" ?

If Google was REALLY down, it would be all over the net. So I thought it must be me. So I took a shower, brushed my hair and teeth, shaved, and it still won't come up. Maybe it isn't my personal hygiene after all. Perhaps it is my unit? ISP? Firefox? AVG 'secure search' works, and popped into my search engine menu all by it self. Maybe it shut out it's competition?

????

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:48 PM   #2
AdMan
Philosopher

Hard to say what the cause is without more information, but it works fine for me.

Can you try a different computer or gadget?
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:54 PM   #3
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
If Google was REALLY down, it would be all over the net. So I thought it must be me. So I took a shower, brushed my hair and teeth, shaved, and it still won't come up. Maybe it isn't my personal hygiene after all. Perhaps it is my unit? ISP? Firefox? AVG 'secure search' works, and popped into my search engine menu all by it self. Maybe it shut out it's competition?

????
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/#

TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:13 PM   #4
casebro
Philosopher

Boy i hate yahoo search. All commercial.

But I did find out it's probably some kind of malware blocking that site on my Personal Confuser. A common Trojan tactic. But neither Avenger nor Malwarebytes found it. And erasing the Firefox cache etc didn't help either.

"AVG Secure Search powered by Google" does work. I just hate to get coerced into using it.

One thing I did learn though while watching the anti-stuff scan. Macromedia Flash seems to save EVERYTHING. I'll go delete that whole Macromedia file and re-download Flash, just to speed up the scans.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 05:06 AM   #5
BaaBaa
Semi-literate hench-person

I had this happen the other day- anyplace I went to, *except* FB would give me guff about failing to resolve DNS addresses. I did a cursory search on the other pc in the house and learned that sometimes through some arcane (to me) winsock stuff, only https addresses would resolve. So I did some CMD jiggery-pokery and it sort of resolved itself.
Old 24th April 2012, 05:10 AM   #6
Alan
Illuminator

There have been some issues with Firefox and Google today due to today's Google Doodle. Perhaps it is related?
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/isnt-the-...251604-11.html

It works for me in Firefox.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 05:11 AM   #7
Ocelot
Illuminator

Check your hosts file
See what DNS servers you're using and make sure that they are you ISP's name servers not someone else's.

Download some decent AV and Anti Malware.

Get a child to take a look at it.
Old 24th April 2012, 05:46 AM   #8
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Boy i hate yahoo search. All commercial.
I'm afraid I can't help you with your Google problem, but if you need an alternate search engine give Duck Duck Go a try: https://duckduckgo.com (or http://ddg.gg).
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 05:52 AM   #9
casebro
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BaaBaa View Post
I had this happen the other day- anyplace I went to, *except* FB would give me guff about failing to resolve DNS addresses. I did a cursory search on the other pc in the house and learned that sometimes through some arcane (to me) winsock stuff, only https addresses would resolve. So I did some CMD jiggery-pokery and it sort of resolved itself.
I tried some of the cmd stuff, but it didn't line up with my machine. Kept getting 'invalid file path', My acl didn't seem to have a file named 'host'. Compaq sub species? XP Home, 1.8 amd.

I also started getting a pop up that scrolls the same Dodge Sprinter ad a couple times per day.

If I remember to go get a many-gig thumb drive I'll download some files and crank up the upgrade, a garage sale $2 box.

Old 24th April 2012, 06:16 AM   #10
casebro
Philosopher

Fixxed it!

A further search sent me to Kaspersky TDSSkiller. Free. 2megs. only took a couple minutes and a re-boot.

Time will tell if the ad got killed too.

Old 25th April 2012, 01:38 PM   #11
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There have been some issues with Firefox and Google today due to today's Google Doodle. Perhaps it is related?
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/isnt-the-...251604-11.html

It works for me in Firefox.
I had problems yesterday on the Google home page. I assumed it was due to the Doodle. Interestingly, I was using Chrome.

Last edited by CynicalSkeptic; 25th April 2012 at 01:41 PM.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet