JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags DREAM Act , flip-flop charges , immigration issues , Kris Kobach , mitt romney

Old 23rd April 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Etch-a-sketch watch

Did Mitt Romney Just Throw Kris Kobach Under The Bus?

Quote:
Mitt Romney appeared to publicly split on Monday with his “informal” immigration adviser, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, setting up a general election pivot in which Romney potentially turns his back on the far-right anti-immigration sector of the GOP he courted heavily in the primary.

At a press conference with Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) Monday, Romney said
Rubio’s nascent DREAM Act proposal, which offers the children of illegal immigrants a way to remain in the country, should pass muster with conservatives like Kobach. Kobach strongly opposes the DREAM Act on the grounds that it would provide amnesty to law-breakers — but Rubio’s proposal differs from Democratic versions of the DREAM Act, which offers a path to citizenship.

Kobach himself has said that Rubio’s proposal falls short of his test. Split between two men whose endorsement he touted, Romney appears to be leaning toward Rubio.
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:42 PM   #2
epepke
Philosopher

I thought this was going to be about an Etch-a-sketch watch. That would be cool. I had one on a keychain once.

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

More tacking to the center:

Romney Blunts Obama Attack By Backing Lower Student Loan Rates

Quote:
Less than an hour after the Obama campaign kicked off a week-long push to attack Mitt Romney on college affordability, the Republican candidate took the wind out of their sails by supporting the White House’s push to extend subsidized lower interest rates on federal loans.

Without action in Congress, a 2007 bill keeping interest on loans held by some 7 million students at 3.4 percent versus 6.8 percent will expire. President Obama is speaking at three colleges on Tuesday and Wednesday to pressure House Republicans to act despite their wariness about a one-year fix’s $6 billion price tag. Obama’s re-election team held a conference call Monday focused on student loan debt and attacking Romney over proposed cuts to higher-education funding in the GOP budget.
Old 24th April 2012, 03:16 AM   #4
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

What ya know? Romney was been paying attention in the last election when going more extreme in the general election didn't work.
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Careyp74
Illuminator

Originally Posted by epepke View Post
I thought this was going to be about an Etch-a-sketch watch. That would be cool. I had one on a keychain once.
Me too, but now I realize how stupid that would be. If it was on your wrist you would only have one free hand to operate the two knobs.
Careyp74 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Careyp74 View Post
...you would only have one free hand to operate the two knobs.
Snort.
Old 24th April 2012, 06:42 PM   #7
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Me too, but now I realize how stupid that would be. If it was on your wrist you would only have one free hand to operate the two knobs.
Wouldn't the movement of the wrist erase it?

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Tormac
Critical Thinker

But if it was the size of a watch, mybe you could turn the knobs with the fingers of one hand.

(Sorry for the topic drift, but now I realy want an etch-a-sketch watch!)
Old 26th April 2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Here is a curious statement that GLAAD is having a field day with:

Quote:
I believe that the Boy Scouts of America does a wonderful service for this country. I support the right of the Boy Scouts of America to decide what it wants to do on that issue. I feel that all people should be able to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation.
Linky.

The moderator also mentioned that he said he would do more to support gay rights than Ted Kennedy. I find his statement curious because it looks like he was trying to have it both ways even back then.
Old 26th April 2012, 01:38 PM   #10
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
What ya know? Romney was been paying attention in the last election when going more extreme in the general election didn't work.
How is it extreme to ask illegals in the country to leave the country which is what Romney’s immigration plan was all about, self-deportation.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 01:51 PM   #11
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
How is it extreme to ask illegals in the country to leave the country which is what Romney’s immigration plan was all about, self-deportation.
Funny story, self deportation was a hoax that Romney bought into.

I think I'll reroute my trip
I wonder if they'd think I'd flipped.
If I went to LA, via Omaha.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by epepke View Post

Old 26th April 2012, 03:58 PM   #13
DavidJames
Philosopher

Looks like Romney is trying to refocus the fight from between the 99% and 1% to between the 99% and 99%.
Quote:
We will stop the unfairness of government workers getting better pay and benefits than the very taxpayers they serve," the former Massachusetts governor said.
See, there's the problem with America, workers of one sector get paid more then another. The problem isn't the politicians or CEO's, or Wall Street, it's the people behind the counter at the DMV.

This man is so far out of touch....

Link
Beaver Hateman: Is your argument that human life loses value proportionate to the number of humans available? Malcolm Kirkpatrick: That's part of the argument. Value is determined by supply and demand.

Last edited by DavidJames; 26th April 2012 at 03:59 PM.
DavidJames is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Unabogie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
Looks like Romney is trying to refocus the fight from between the 99% and 1% to between the 99% and 99%.See, there's the problem with America, workers of one sector get paid more then another. The problem isn't the politicians or CEO's, or Wall Street, it's the people behind the counter at the DMV.

This man is so far out of touch....

Link

The problem in America is that rich people are taxed too much and poor people don't have skin in the game. If we could just raise poor people's taxes and cut taxes for rich people, everyone would be rich. Also, if we can just slash wages for public sector workers to match the lower pay of private sector workers, then all of us would get rich as well.

Econ 101, Libtard!
Unabogie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2012, 06:49 PM   #15
DavidJames
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Unabogie View Post
Libtard!
hmm...I wonder if that vanity license plate phrase is taken?
Beaver Hateman: Is your argument that human life loses value proportionate to the number of humans available? Malcolm Kirkpatrick: That's part of the argument. Value is determined by supply and demand.
DavidJames is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 08:39 AM   #16
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

It's shaking again. Magnitude 8.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:13 AM   #17
Tricky
Briefly immortal

What I am wondering is, where is the outrage from the far right? Romney told them one thing during the primaries, and now he's throwing them under the bus in order to move to the center. They should feel angry and betrayed.

Or maybe that is Romney's genius; To make everybody feel like he is only lying to the other side.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Olowkow
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
What I am wondering is, where is the outrage from the far right? Romney told them one thing during the primaries, and now he's throwing them under the bus in order to move to the center. They should feel angry and betrayed.

Or maybe that is Romney's genius; To make everybody feel like he is only lying to the other side.
"Anybodybutobama", we'll sort it all out later among us real Americans.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:27 AM   #19
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I'm pretty sure they hated flip-flopping 8 years ago. Wonder what changed?
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 11:04 AM   #20
GeeMack
Banned

It's probably an effect like when someone's favorite team gets the advantage from a ref's bad call. They usually just shut up about it and hope it helps them toward the win.

Quote:

I don't see any evidence of an intentional strategy, certainly not one that involves that kind of shrewdness or subtlety. I think he's just pretty certain his supporters aren't going to call him out on his lies as long as they think it might help him get elected.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 11:23 AM   #21
NotJesus
Unsaviory

Chris Hayes had an interesting take on Romney's... uh... flexibility on Lawrence O'Donnell's show last night:

Originally Posted by Chris Hayes
I think Romney is relishing his newfound freedom. I mean I basically think what happened was he was a captive of the right wing of the party. Anytime that he deviated in any way they would smack him down. There was line when he embraced -- Romneycare in Massachusetts. When his spokesperson did, they said, "We have to house break the dog." That was... what the Republicans said, you know... Beat the dog, bad dog. It took until conservatives got so desperate about his chances that now he`s completely freelancing. He`s a totally free man. If there is something, Lawrence, you like, maybe he`s for it.

Full transcript of the show here.
I have now reread what I've just written, and I see that I'm much more intelligent than what I've written. How does it come about that what an intelligent man expresses is much stupider than what remains inside him?
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Adolescent
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2012, 07:01 PM   #22
steve s
Illuminator

The Etch-a-Sketch candidate.

Steve S
Old 6th October 2012, 07:03 PM   #23
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

They're just voting against Obama, not for Romney.

Remember, Gingrich and the others said that the number one priority is to prevent Obama from getting a second term. Little else seems to matter to them.
Old 6th October 2012, 07:21 PM   #24
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
They're just voting against Obama, not for Romney.

Remember, Gingrich and the others said that the number one priority is to prevent Obama from getting a second term. Little else seems to matter to them.
This has a lot of legs. If so, and Obama wins, can we expect a round of bogus calls for impeachment?
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2012, 08:04 PM   #25
Biscuit
Philosopher

Well played sir. Well played.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:06 PM   #26
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
How extreme is it to actually go after the reason they come here. I am talking about the companies that hire them.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:06 PM   #27
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
This has a lot of legs. If so, and Obama wins, can we expect a round of bogus calls for impeachment?
Didn't that happen last time a Democrat won a second term in the White House?
Old 6th October 2012, 08:08 PM   #28
Biscuit
Philosopher

He doesn't sound "severely conservative" to me. He sounds like a moooooslim.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:09 PM   #29
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I'm pretty sure they hated flip-flopping 8 years ago. Wonder what changed?
The flip flop is on the other foot.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:11 PM   #30
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
Didn't that happen last time a Democrat won a second term in the White House?
Wag the dog!!!!

JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics