JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 23rd April 2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Dinner With Obama

Dinner With Obama

I thought about this. And I have nothing to say to the man. Nothing at all.
It'd be a very quiet dinner. Does anyone have a conversation starter?
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:13 PM   #2
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

How's the dog?
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Unabogie
Philosopher

"Tough". I think he's said all he's going to say on the matter.

On topic, you can't think of anything to say to the President of the United States? Hell, I despise Dick Cheney, but you can bet if I had him at the table I'd give him some choice words. It sure wouldn't be quiet in the room.
Unabogie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 06:19 PM   #4
shemp
Pith Generator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
How's the dog?

"Michelle's fine."
3. Congress: Choose senators and representatives randomly from the voter lists.
4. Abolish presidential races. Congress will choose the President from among themselves.
5. FREE PILLORY!!!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:14 PM   #5
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Location: In the midst of a vast, beautiful & uncaring universe
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
How's the dog?
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:15 PM   #6
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Location: In the midst of a vast, beautiful & uncaring universe
I'd ask him just how bad ass is Air Force One?
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

"Why do you hate America?"

lol but on a serious note I imagine treating him like a normal person would be the best course of action. How was your day, hows the kids, how did being President change your life, ect. Standard boring, non-threatening questions.
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:37 PM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I would make casual conversation to put him at his ease, for he would undoubtedly be nervous, having dinner with such an amazing and famous personage as myself.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:33 PM   #9
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Dinner With Obama

It used to be incumbent upon guests to learn a litte bit about the person who was going to be their host or hostess, and study up so as to be able to elicit conversation.
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:42 PM   #10
shemp
Pith Generator

"So, where were you born?"
3. Congress: Choose senators and representatives randomly from the voter lists.
4. Abolish presidential races. Congress will choose the President from among themselves.
5. FREE PILLORY!!!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:33 PM   #11
DDWW
Muse

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
"So, where were you born?"
Kenya really ask that?
DDWW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 12:14 AM   #12
Vermonter
Muse

Snowball's chance in hell, but I signed up.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 01:50 AM   #13
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

"What's your favourite chapter in Das Capital?"

"Pass the arugula?"

"Do Muslims say grace?"
Old 24th April 2012, 02:18 AM   #14
Howie Felterbush
Bow Tie Daddy

"Where the white women at?"
Howie Felterbush is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 05:08 AM   #15
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Dinner With Obama

When do your daughters turn 18?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:02 PM   #16
ravdin
Illuminator

If I don't want to be your campaign prop on camera, do I still get a free dinner?

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:30 PM   #17
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

I had a chance to dine with Bush 41, due to my subscription to Buckleys' joke book... "National Review"... for $1500.
I wouldn't dine with him if I was paid that amount.
Obie, dunno, prolly if it was free, and I could fit it into my schedule of lounging around all day on the Internet.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 06:39 PM   #18
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I saw this on facebook and entered. I'd ask, "What was it like to meet Stephen Colbert?"
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 06:44 PM   #19
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

I'd ask him if the tape measure story in Pakistan was true
MG1962 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 03:25 AM   #20
Multivac
Master Poster

I would ask him if he is really an atheist.
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 06:41 PM   #21
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by crimresearch View Post
It used to be incumbent upon guests to learn a litte bit about the person who was going to be their host or hostess, and study up so as to be able to elicit conversation.

I find that modern media communication covers so much information about the president leaving one with no good questions to ask. "Why did you take the public option on health care off the table?" or "Why did defund NASA's manned exploration so we no longer can go into space?" or "What will your do about the growing national debt?" can be answered on the internet. So I guess asking about the dog is about all that's left.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:36 PM   #22
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I'd ask him how how it is to be the first black POTUS.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 04:54 AM   #23
Multivac
Master Poster

Why did you cut NASAs budget?
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 10:06 PM   #24
peptoabysmal
Illuminator

How does it feel to kill the world's most wanted man and the world's most vibrant economy in your first term?
OBAMA: It's not that I want to punish your success; I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you that they've got a chance to success, too. I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody.
peptoabysmal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 10:11 PM   #25
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

I think I'd be lost, too.

To be fair, Bush and others have done this before, but you had to pay mucho dinero to even get a shot. Someone paying that kind of scratch won't be telling the POTUS he's a douche.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 09:30 AM   #26
Kestrel
Philosopher

I met Obama backstage after a speech in 2008. Starting a conversation will not be a problem. Obama is a master at breaking the ice and getting people talking.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 02:22 PM   #27
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I can't think of anything to talk to any president about in my lifetime. Eisenhower, who precedes me, might be interesting, but because of WWII.

Oh, wait. "Who's more shrill in private conversation, Nancy or Hillary?"

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 07:46 AM   #28
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I'd ask him for his opinion on the current understanding of isostasy to mantle convection.

Then I would pose to him how he would have filmed the Star Wars prequels if he could only cast Muppets.
Old 29th April 2012, 08:40 AM   #29
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I would ask him what it's like to be having dinner with the man who will shortly become the first World Hegemon.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2012, 10:17 AM   #30
Bloodtoes
Muse

I would hope someone at such a position in politics would be capable of starting the conversation. That said, I would enjoy every second of awkward silence, would there be any. There's nothing quite like it, and to say you enjoyed awkward silence with the president would be a pretty good conversation piece at real parties.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:45 PM   #31
sarge
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
"Michelle's fine."
That's funny. Seriously funny - and I find Madam Obama attractive.

Of course I'd have dinner with the President of the United States. i think anyone that says they would not is probably full of crap (on this subject).

As for the topic of conversation, I'd simply ask what it's like, being President. What has been the most satisfying, and what has been the most burdensome? And then I'd steer the conversation to golf. It's probably the only thing that I will always be better at than him. At some point, I'd drop the nugget that he is almost exactly 12 hours older than I.

JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics