JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 22nd April 2012, 08:13 AM   #121
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IDB87 View Post
That's not the same.

Someone buys two pounds of beef - they then (through SCIENCE!) replicate the beef and give it away for free. OP takes the free two pounds of beef, and does what they will with it.

How is that stealing? OP wasn't going to buy the original beef, and the person who did buy it gave a copy of the original away for free.
A movie is not two pound of beef.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2012, 06:34 PM   #122
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I wonder... we downloaded Game of Thrones when season 1 was running, but we had every intention of getting the blu-rays whenever they'd come out. I knew 100% that I would buy them, and I did. I will do the same with all future seasons.

Is it still "wrong" (I'm not asking if it's illegal, I don't care one bit about that :P) to download a TV series that you know in advance you'll purchase on hard disc? I really don't think so. I got to watch the show a bit in advance, but no one was deprived of a sale.
The problem as I see it is that if you're downloading via Bit Torrent, you're simultaneously uploading it (or pieces of it) to any number of other people who aren't going to be as scrupulous about paying for the content when it's available in another format.

So, yeah, I'd still call it "wrong" even setting aside the illegality. On a right/wrong continuum I'd say you're in about the least wrong segment, but still...
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:52 AM   #123
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
The problem as I see it is that if you're downloading via Bit Torrent, you're simultaneously uploading it (or pieces of it) to any number of other people who aren't going to be as scrupulous about paying for the content when it's available in another format.

So, yeah, I'd still call it "wrong" even setting aside the illegality. On a right/wrong continuum I'd say you're in about the least wrong segment, but still...
I don't think it's terribly egregious. I would just think of it as 'civil disobedience against tyrannical laws.

And worth repeating:
http://ihnatko.com/2012/02/20/heavy-...nts-the-crown/

The world does not OWE you Season 1 of “Game Of Thrones” in the form you want it at the moment you want it at the price you want to pay for it. If it’s not available under 100% your terms, you have the free-and-clear option of not having it.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:46 PM   #124
SumDood
Muse

I wonder... we downloaded Game of Thrones when season 1 was running, but we had every intention of getting the blu-rays whenever they'd come out. I knew 100% that I would buy them, and I did. I will do the same with all future seasons.

Is it still "wrong" (I'm not asking if it's illegal, I don't care one bit about that :P) to download a TV series that you know in advance you'll purchase on hard disc? I really don't think so. I got to watch the show a bit in advance, but no one was deprived of a sale.
I know "no one was deprived of a sale" is a common excuse for downloading content one would never pay for anyway. One can either not pay for something and never consume it. Or not pay for it and consume it via illegal means.

Not that its a good excuse, just one I have heard used in the past.
Old 24th April 2012, 02:37 AM   #125
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by mutile View Post
it is not illegal to download tv shows so why not
Isn't it??

Technically that isn't true because you can turn off the Upload.

The trackers (and individuals) used to try and keep "track" of people who did that and shut them off or give them bad download speed, but I assume it was just too complicated. Turning off your upload won't affect you on at least 90 percent of torrents these days.

------------------

Here's an interesting angle on a related copyright issue I just saw in the Science section:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Originally Posted by Stomatopoda View Post
It's going to be hilarious when the collectible figure makers start complaining about piracy from these.
So once replicators (3D printers) are cheap the US government will make them illegal?
Making copies of DVDs is so 20th century. The future of counterfeiting is 3D Printing!
Old 24th April 2012, 03:20 AM   #126
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mark6 View Post
Months ago I cancelled my cable subscription because it is blatantly not worth $100 a month to me. My family does not watch much TV, and what we do watch we get for free from the web, or for $8 a month from Netflix. This week for the first time since cancelling cable I wanted to watch something not legally available on web (including Netflix) -- Season 2 of "Game of Thrones". I went to HBO Go website, as some ads suggested I could buy the show there. That turned out not to be the case -- once you click on "Game of Thrones episode X", it takes you to a page which sells you complete HBO package. Which I emphatically do not want.

After finding that out, I installed a Bit Torrent downloader, and downloaded first and second episodes of Season Two. I would have happily paid HBO five or six dollars per episode -- which would actually bring HBO more money than buying a DVD set after season ends. But HBO is not offering shows a la carte... so screw them.
So you just decided that they didn't deserve your money. How convenient.

Quote:
While my argument is not reasonable with respect to houses/cars, it is reasonable with respect to anything easily divisible. Like food or data.
For sure, the situation is different to a degree, but the data is still their property.

"Scientists have a poor understanding of science." - Justintime
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:24 AM   #127
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
They are quite skippable - it just requires better firmware than the default firmware on most DVD players.

(IOW the firmware has to ignore the UOP flag)
Personally I don't understand why some things are unskippable on DVDs. I mean, I don't care about seeing the company's logo. I know, I just bought their product, they don't need to sell it to me. And the copyright notice ? Not reading it doesn't absolve me of any responsibility in case I copy it, and it's not like I never read it before, so I don't know why many companies still make that unskippable.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:25 AM   #128
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
What's annoying me, and I think virtually encourages piracy, is Facebook, or more specifically, the show producers on Facebook.

80% of Facebook users, including myself, are outside of North America. Like many people I "like" many of the TV shows I watch.

What do they do? Constantly tempt and harass me with news about the next (US) episode ... "don't miss it tonight!!" etc etc with trailers and competitions and other news and info.

I can wait weeks, or months, until the episode comes to my country. I can visit their website and get "this content not available in your country".

Or I can download it illegally and watch it the next day.

Hey, they told me not to miss it!
I do agree that anti-piracy or anti-distribution tricks by those companies seem to be more likely to backfire. Not all smart people, there.

Old 24th April 2012, 03:30 AM   #129
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
5. Should there not be a way that those less fortunate than me can access the same culture - at no charge?
No.

Old 24th April 2012, 03:34 AM   #130
Belz...
Fiend God

Personally I don't have a problem with such a practice. It's not technically legal but since it's zero-sum I'm not bothered by it.

There's a lot about copyright laws that I feel actually loses sales.

Old 26th April 2012, 06:07 AM   #131
IDB87
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
A movie is not two pound of beef.
Most of them are two pounds of something.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:21 AM   #132
Morrigan
Crone of War

The problem as I see it is that if you're downloading via Bit Torrent
Ah, but I'm not.
And, as someone else said, you can turn off upload anyway.

Originally Posted by SumDood View Post
I know "no one was deprived of a sale" is a common excuse for downloading content one would never pay for anyway. One can either not pay for something and never consume it. Or not pay for it and consume it via illegal means.

Not that its a good excuse, just one I have heard used in the past.
I'm not sure what that has to do with what I wrote, considering I did pay for the content...
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 10:11 AM   #133
mutile
Muse

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Isn't it??
Not that I am aware of what law would I be breaking?
mutile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 11:30 AM   #134
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Not that I am aware of what law would I be breaking?
Downloading television shows from sources that don't have the copyright holders' express permission to distribute is a violation of copyright law ("illegal").
Old 27th April 2012, 04:15 PM   #135
mutile
Muse

Downloading television shows from sources that don't have the copyright holders' express permission to distribute is a violation of copyright law ("illegal").
source?
mutile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 05:52 AM   #136
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

source?
Are you waiting to say downloading is not distributing ?
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2012, 11:36 AM   #137
mutile
Muse

Are you waiting to say downloading is not distributing ?
I'm waiting for evidence that downloading tv shows is illegal.
Old 28th April 2012, 03:02 PM   #138
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

I'm waiting for evidence that downloading tv shows is illegal.
OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._Copyright_Act
Old 28th April 2012, 03:35 PM   #139
mutile
Muse

can you be more specific I don't know about US law and that page doesn't mention downloading at all
Old 28th April 2012, 05:20 PM   #140
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

can you be more specific I don't know about US law and that page doesn't mention downloading at all
Well, from my perspective, this conversation is US. I don't know any other countries law better than US, and and I don't know US law that well

It has to do with making a copy, which you are technically doing by downloading. It's probably debatable in theory, perhaps less so in practice. I also don't think I can't point to any cases where it's been used in a scenario where someone was only downloading (say usenet ... I know, never talk about usenet....)
Old 29th April 2012, 07:17 AM   #141
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by JJM 777 View Post
In Finland I pay 20 EUR per month as a compulsory television ownership tax, which funds the two free national totally ad-free channels, plus some 10 other free ad-funded channels.
I can get more channels than that totally free (no monthly tax) over the air. Finland sounds expensive!

$100/month gets you hundreds of channels, including ad-free movie channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2012, 09:50 PM   #142
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
I can get more channels than that totally free (no monthly tax) over the air. Finland sounds expensive!

$100/month gets you hundreds of channels, including ad-free movie channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.
Dish Network offers the $29.99 America's Top 120 package which you can frequently find on sale for $19.99.

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/pa...ricas-top-120/

Sometimes that lasts for only a year or so depending on the contract and which re-seller you bought it from, and it goes up to $45. But if you tell them you're going to cancel they will lower it to at least $35.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:40 AM   #143
Aidoneus
Thinker

Using BitTorrent just got harder in the UK: BBC News - The Pirate Bay must be blocked by UK ISPs
Aidoneus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2012, 09:24 AM   #144
IDB87
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aidoneus View Post
Using BitTorrent just got harder in the UK: BBC News - The Pirate Bay must be blocked by UK ISPs
Womp womp woooom..
Old 30th April 2012, 11:59 AM   #145
Fuzzy Dunlop
Scholar

Originally Posted by Aidoneus View Post
That should make just about no difference at all. Also:

Quote:
"Its operators line their pockets by commercially exploiting music and other creative works without paying a penny to the people who created them.
How does Pirate Bay make money? Ads?
Fuzzy Dunlop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2012, 12:19 PM   #146
IDB87
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post

How does Pirate Bay make money? Ads?
Donations I imagine. Any other way is disputed.
Old 11th May 2012, 02:04 PM   #147
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-options.shtml

Game Of Thrones On Track To Be Most Pirated Show Of 2012; Pirates Still Asking HBO For Legitimate Options

Much like the North, Game of Thrones cannot be held—it's too big and too wild. Matthew Inman warned HBO that they should make their content more accessible or risk driving people to piracy, but that isn't really HBO's style. Now jilocasin points us to the news that Game of Thrones is well on track to be the most torrented show of 2012, and nobody can deny that HBO's foolish subscriber-only distribution is a primary reason for that. Approximately 25-million times have people decided to pay the iron price for the show, and as the comments on Reddit attest, it's often because the gold price wasn't even an option. Others pay for the show but still pirate for the sake of occasional convenience...
Old 19th May 2012, 06:29 AM   #148
Eligbak
Scholar

Game of Thrones wouldn't be known around the world, if it wasn't for filesharing. People talk about it because they've seen and liked it. That's a lot of free hype for HBO, a fact the content distribution industry in general always forgets to mention.

The "captive customer" business model may work in a particular market, but I dare say no customer honestly likes it - except for the crowd dancing around the hallucinogenic apple idol over there. Or should, if (s)he's got the notion that the market should offer a good choice, not just between necessary evils. "Necessary" and "evil" being subjective, meaning it should be fun to buy non-essential ghafla like entertainment. What's okay for political parties and shoes definitely doesn't do for having fun.

Pay TV was an acceptable, ad-free compromise in the '90's, but nowadays there's so much "liberated" and ad-free content out there, I'm made to feel stupid for attempting to always play by the rules. I know no-one who hasn't at least once downloaded something just out of curiosity. You needn't be afraid of getting caught, either, as long as you're reasonably selective and conscious of the risks.

I can't see the cult of the copyright growing grassroots support, rather the opposite. We may still feel that taking something for nothing is morally wrong, but it's gotten mixed up with globalization, patent-grabbing, anti-corporatism and -capitalism and the prerogatives of the economically stricken to be excused from paying for stuff they couldn't afford otherwise.
Eligbak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2012, 06:52 AM   #149
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

And when all products are like Syfy, that is what will happen. The deal is that the pay for model, pays for high production values. And it is not limited to HBO, AMC has done well with Mad Men and Walking Dead, with lots of commercials.

However HBO uses their model quite well, we have HBO for just that reason, my wife likes True Blood and we both watch Games of Thrones. Personally I don't watch much TV, my wife watches a lot more.

The issue I have is that content producers do it for one thing to make money. If they don't make money then we end up with Syfy quality material (which can be entertaining for the laugh value). The big networks are too cautious to ever make a Sopranos, Six Feet Under, True Blood or Boardwalk Empire.

So while I understand the idea, content productions are the property of the producer and just like cars, the ease of committing a crime does not make it acceptable.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 19th May 2012 at 07:07 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2012, 09:09 AM   #150
Eligbak
Scholar

US folks can probably tell at a glance how many of the TV series on this list) were produced by HBO, or rather HBO exclusives. Game of Thrones and The Wire, and Rome probably, too? (I never saw that)

I'm no big series watcher; I remember Waking the Dead (UK) and ReGenesis (Canadian TV). Quality content tends to come from the UK imv.

Last edited by Eligbak; 19th May 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Eligbak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2012, 04:48 PM   #151
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Eligbak View Post
Game of Thrones wouldn't be known around the world, if it wasn't for filesharing. People talk about it because they've seen and liked it. That's a lot of free hype for HBO, a fact the content distribution industry in general always forgets to mention.

But unless that "free hype" as you put it translates into revenue in some manner at some point, the free hype isn't helping HBO.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2012, 04:52 PM   #152
wackyvorlon
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
But unless that "free hype" as you put it translates into revenue in some manner at some point, the free hype isn't helping HBO.
Mind, quantifying any monetary benefit from said hype is an impossibility. We can only speak qualitatively. You cannot know if it helped or not.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:10 PM   #153
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wackyvorlon View Post
Mind, quantifying any monetary benefit from said hype is an impossibility.

I don't think it's impossible. It would, however, likely require some comprehensive market research on the part of HBO to find out exactly what led a customer to purchase an HBO product, i.e. something along the lines of a "How did you hear about our product/service?" type of question one can often find from companies requesting customer feedback.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2012, 10:28 PM   #154
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

I watch all my "stolen" TV shows on YouTube.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:34 PM   #155
wackyvorlon
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
I don't think it's impossible. It would, however, likely require some comprehensive market research on the part of HBO to find out exactly what led a customer to purchase an HBO product, i.e. something along the lines of a "How did you hear about our product/service?" type of question one can often find from companies requesting customer feedback.
That requires people self-reporting, though. There's no guarantee they will remember it correctly, or even tell the truth.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:55 PM   #156
Alan
Illuminator

I don't feel guilty about using BitTorrent because I use it to download linux distros, using the torrent file from their site. BitTorrent can be used for legal purposes.

...although I don't keep seeding for long because my upload speed is terrible so it's not worth it for anyone.

I do stream some shows that won't be released where I live for a long time, and plan on buying the DVD/Blu-ray, though.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2012, 11:21 PM   #157
OnlyTellsTruths

Originally Posted by Eligbak View Post
Pay TV was an acceptable, ad-free compromise in the '90's, but nowadays there's so much "liberated" and ad-free content out there, I'm made to feel stupid for attempting to always play by the rules.
This reminds me of how confused I was in the early 80s that pay-cable TV channels still had commercials. How much more than free do I have to pay to not have commercials, I said. Apparently, as with HBO, not that much. Why didn't we have that option with the other cable TV channels though.

At least 20 years later DVR made that an obsolete issue.

They missed out on making me pay extra for no commercials on those channels for 20 years. Now they can't unless they lock out DVR somehow.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:44 AM   #158
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Alan View Post
...although I don't keep seeding for long because my upload speed is terrible so it's not worth it for anyone.
It's always worth it for torrent health, even if you're only offering up 10 kB/s or less. Of course, it may not be worth it for you since it's easy to saturate your upload connection, which can sometimes result in poor download performance. Still, if you can spare even some upload bandwidth, every little bit helps.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:50 AM   #159
Bad Lieutenant
Muse

I don't feel guilty about using torrents because I think capitalism is moribund.
Bad Lieutenant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2012, 01:35 AM   #160
Alan
Illuminator

It's always worth it for torrent health, even if you're only offering up 10 kB/s or less. Of course, it may not be worth it for you since it's easy to saturate your upload connection, which can sometimes result in poor download performance. Still, if you can spare even some upload bandwidth, every little bit helps.
It's good to know. I tried tonight, and uploaded 108.4 kB in about 45 minutes, but then I jumped up to 5 kB/s a little bit ago. I got as high as 13 kB/s for about a second!

I just passed a megabyte total!
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet