JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags laser , phaser , star trek

Old 27th April 2012, 03:24 PM   #41
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Actually, infrared does show up as that bluey-violet colour on my phone camera. I use it when checking fibreoptic connections to quickly identify transmit and receive fibres.

The sensors in digital cameras react to near infrared so they need to filter it out. If the filter's removed or the IR is intense enough, it shows up.
Well true . .on the camera .. with filter removed .. maybe .. who knows. Still if the laser was IR it would be hardly any simpler than using 445nm diode. IR used to be cheaper and 445 used to be well .. unavailable .. but that was 3 years ago .. times changes. Now everyone can have 445nm laser around 1.5W around $100.
And this is 445nm diode, trust me, I have such laser myself (not in a shape of a phaser though), and I know the guy, I bought my laser from him.

Last edited by Dr.Sid; 27th April 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 03:29 PM   #42
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

What do you mean not much of an achievement? It's not any kind of achievement! I mean, if the guy had maybe literally fabricated his own phaser - plastic shell and everything - I might be a little more impressed; but to me this is the equivalent of taking an air conditioner out of a window and mounting it in another window, and thinking this represents ingenuity.

I'm not making fun of what this guy did, I'm making fun of all the oozing here over it.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 03:39 PM   #43
Macgyver1968
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
What do you mean not much of an achievement? It's not any kind of achievement! I mean, if the guy had maybe literally fabricated his own phaser - plastic shell and everything - I might be a little more impressed; but to me this is the equivalent of taking an air conditioner out of a window and mounting it in another window, and thinking this represents ingenuity.

I'm not making fun of what this guy did, I'm making fun of all the oozing here over it.
To be fair, the guy did have to design and build his own driver circuit for the diode, and machine some sort of housing to hold the diode and keep it cool, and construct something for the optics. Electronic wise, it's about as impressive as building your own audio amp out of discrete components.

It is a cool little toy, though. I hope he wears goggles.

Last edited by Macgyver1968; 27th April 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Macgyver1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 03:47 PM   #44
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
It is a cool little toy, though. I hope he wears goggles.
Jayrob is GURU of laser pointer making .. I'm pretty sure he knows the rules ..
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 03:51 PM   #45
Macgyver1968
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Jayrob is GURU of laser pointer making .. I'm pretty sure he knows the rules ..
That's cool. I used to work for Spectra Physics, and strongest tube lasers we worked with were only 5 milliwatts....and we had very strict protocols about eye protection. From what I read, that "phaser" he build was 1.3 watts, 260 times more powerful than the lasers I worked with. That's just crazy for a DIY.

The lasers I worked on weren't nearly as cool...and were literally covered in ****.

They put them in drainage and sewer pipers to confirm the grade is correct. I was probably one of the only laser technicians who had to worry about washing poop off their hands after working on a laser.

Last edited by Macgyver1968; 27th April 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Macgyver1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 04:09 PM   #46
Checkmite

To be fair, the guy did have to design and build his own driver circuit for the diode, and machine some sort of housing to hold the diode and keep it cool, and construct something for the optics. Electronic wise, it's about as impressive as building your own audio amp out of discrete components.
The circuit would have only required an extra two wires (three if he decided to add a fan) and the diode's original mounting from the PS3 could've merely been simply screwed into the surrounding internal plastic of the front of the gun. There are no optics required outside of what originally came from the PS3 already included with the diode; he only had to cut a hole in the tip of the gun.

Also, I'm always automatically cynical about the escapades of Trekkies.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 04:14 PM   #47
Macgyver1968
Illuminator

The circuit would have only required an extra two wires (three if he decided to add a fan) and the diode's original mounting from the PS3 could've merely been simply screwed into the surrounding internal plastic of the front of the gun. There are no optics required outside of what originally came from the PS3 already included with the diode; he only had to cut a hole in the tip of the gun.

You're absolutely right not to trust Trekkies.
Old 27th April 2012, 04:36 PM   #48
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker

The laser for sure needs new driver circuit, and heatsink, and optics. Most probably even new battery compartment and switch. I'm not saying it's more complex then guitar amp or radio receiver .. it's not. But saying you can take 'ps3 diode' and put it inside a toy without any additional modifications and pop balloons with it is nonsense. Also this is 445nm version of the phaser, twice as powerful as common blue ray disk diode. Mine takes 3.2 amps at battery. Really few toys can handle that ..
Old 27th April 2012, 04:36 PM   #49
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

Wow. Glad you're so superior to the rest of us mere mortals. I have trouble with soldering, even though I'm going to need to learn it as I get further into becoming an Owner/Op. (Most trucking company start-ups begin with junk rigs, and where I'm working now, there are two trucks that are being cannibalized to make one good one. Lots of soldering and assembly to make it all work, given the electronics in use.)

I'd say what he did is pretty cool simply because there's so much I don't know about the stuff he used, and that even includes the phaser. I didn't even know they made them until I saw it here.

At this rate, my ignore list is going to get pretty long. Or not. We'll see.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 04:40 PM   #50
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker

That's cool. I used to work for Spectra Physics, and strongest tube lasers we worked with were only 5 milliwatts....and we had very strict protocols about eye protection. From what I read, that "phaser" he build was 1.3 watts, 260 times more powerful than the lasers I worked with. That's just crazy for a DIY.

The lasers I worked on weren't nearly as cool...and were literally covered in ****.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46946106/Dialgrade1160-2.jpg

They put them in drainage and sewer pipers to confirm the grade is correct. I was probably one of the only laser technicians who had to worry about washing poop off their hands after working on a laser.
Sweet ! 5mw is considered 'safe' these days. Most toys are just 1mW though. Unless they are from china, some of that cheap stuff is actually dangerously OVER the specs .. and while it is declared as 5mW, it can have even 50.

When we are at it, and there seems to be some people actually being infected with lasers at this very moment .. I always thought THIS thread at LPF is great way to start ..

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hi...ser-69469.html

And yes, while it is covered in detail on page 3 or so of the thread, Xoul's avatar is indeed picture of the eye.
Old 27th April 2012, 05:05 PM   #51
Macgyver1968
Illuminator

Sweet ! 5mw is considered 'safe' these days. Most toys are just 1mW though. Unless they are from china, some of that cheap stuff is actually dangerously OVER the specs .. and while it is declared as 5mW, it can have even 50.

When we are at it, and there seems to be some people actually being infected with lasers at this very moment .. I always thought THIS thread at LPF is great way to start ..

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hi...ser-69469.html

And yes, while it is covered in detail on page 3 or so of the thread, Xoul's avatar is indeed picture of the eye.
This was back in the early 90's when laser levels were huge hulking things that still used tubes, like this:

While I was there, they came out with the first diode laser levels...this was considered small:

My...how things have changed. And get off my lawn!!! (shakes cane)
Old 27th April 2012, 05:13 PM   #52
MatildaGage
Muse

Real phasers are more awesome than you can imagine!
Old 27th April 2012, 05:19 PM   #53
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

This was back in the early 90's when laser levels were huge hulking things that still used tubes, like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46946106/540...y-s-617752.jpg

While I was there, they came out with the first diode laser levels...this was considered small:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46946106/3571234-0.jpg

My...how things have changed. And get off my lawn!!! (shakes cane)
I've hauled loads to places that produce lasers, and seen some of the work done. (It helps when you're making deliveries to certain places to get an understanding of what it is a customer does so you can serve them better.) Back then, (yeah, it's been a few years ago), some of the "small" industrial lasers were as big as a minivan, and I was hauling casing and chassis. (Light loads, though, which had to be secured carefully, or you cracked the framework. Insurance companies just LOVED that.) You'd bring it in the box of a '53 dry van, and hope like hell you didn't do something stupid on the way in.

A few months ago, I hauled in a load of electronics. Several million dollars worth of gear, more laser firepower than I'd hauled in to previous clients with their uber-sized lasers, yet small enough to keep a nine-year-old blissed out for hours.

Dagnabbit, Mac, quit bogarting all the prunes.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2012, 05:24 PM   #54
Macgyver1968
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roadtoad View Post
I've hauled loads to places that produce lasers, and seen some of the work done. (It helps when you're making deliveries to certain places to get an understanding of what it is a customer does so you can serve them better.) Back then, (yeah, it's been a few years ago), some of the "small" industrial lasers were as big as a minivan, and I was hauling casing and chassis. (Light loads, though, which had to be secured carefully, or you cracked the framework. Insurance companies just LOVED that.) You'd bring it in the box of a '53 dry van, and hope like hell you didn't do something stupid on the way in.

A few months ago, I hauled in a load of electronics. Several million dollars worth of gear, more laser firepower than I'd hauled in to previous clients with their uber-sized lasers, yet small enough to keep a nine-year-old blissed out for hours.

Dagnabbit, Mac, quit bogarting all the prunes.
Oh...shut up and have another Ensure and vodka.
Old 27th April 2012, 05:32 PM   #55
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

Oh...shut up and have another Ensure and vodka.
BOURBON, dammit. I ordered Bourbon!
Old 27th April 2012, 05:38 PM   #56
Macgyver1968
Illuminator

One Geritol and bourbon coming up!
Old 27th April 2012, 07:57 PM   #57
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

http://www.wickedlasers.com/
Old 27th April 2012, 08:48 PM   #58
Checkmite

The laser for sure needs new driver circuit, and heatsink, and optics. Most probably even new battery compartment and switch. I'm not saying it's more complex then guitar amp or radio receiver .. it's not. But saying you can take 'ps3 diode' and put it inside a toy without any additional modifications and pop balloons with it is nonsense. Also this is 445nm version of the phaser, twice as powerful as common blue ray disk diode. Mine takes 3.2 amps at battery. Really few toys can handle that ..
Fine; hit up Ebay. Apparently people have been making lasers exactly like this for years. Now I'm even less impressed.
Old 27th April 2012, 08:52 PM   #59
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Roadtoad View Post
Wow. Glad you're so superior to the rest of us mere mortals.
Only the ones who are Trekkies! Ugh.

Wanna know the worst part about that guy's "real phaser"? He actually retained the cheesy soundboard and speaker.

Last edited by Checkmite; 27th April 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 27th April 2012, 08:57 PM   #60
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

Only the ones who are Trekkies! Ugh.

Wanna know the worst part about that guy's "real phaser"? He actually retained the cheesy soundboard and speaker.
You know what? Go here.

Enough of this.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:06 PM   #61
Checkmite

Wait a second...what does me ragging on this random youtube guy's phaser project have to do with you? I thought I was pretty clearly not being serious in this thread.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:08 PM   #62
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

Old 28th April 2012, 04:35 AM   #63
Dr.Sid
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/33...ers-56289.html
Old 30th April 2012, 08:38 AM   #64
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post
Whoooaaa now, let's not get all crazy!!! 2nd rate? You have besmirched Star Trek' charactah sah!!
Naw. It was really 3rd rate, but I have a soft-spot for the Shatner (apparently I can't use only the first four letters of his name) and what he and the crew did later, with a legitimate budget and marketing, so I always feel it had the potential to be 2nd rate.

Still, if we must meet at dawn to settle this like gentlemen, I choose:

Phasers!

Far an taine ‘n abhainn, ‘s ann as mò a fuaim.

All your base are belong to us.
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 08:40 AM   #65
rcfieldz
Banned

cool

I've entertained the thought of building one of these for years. But I figured once someone uses one in an inapropriate manner the laws for possessing it would be tightened, and cost for a license to own a device of this nature would be high.
rcfieldz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 09:06 AM   #66
Cainkane1
Philosopher

You can take regular lazers and do that if you have access to the right tools and whatever. That lazer is impressive but not actually a real weapon.
Old 1st May 2012, 04:34 PM   #67
Deneb
Scholar

Well, I'm sure it would be very effective at blinding people.
Deneb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 06:39 PM   #68
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/33...ers-56289.html
Thanks for that. No idea other than I saw some of their videos.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:44 PM   #69
rwguinn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Deneb View Post
Well, I'm sure it would be very effective at blinding people.
I guss that's more effective than "Stun"...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 06:51 PM   #70
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
I guss that's more effective than "Stun"...
Not really. You'd have to get the beam in their eye for whatever fraction of a second it takes to blind them, and then in the other eye for the same duration. A very, very small target to hit. And if they have a gun they'd have plenty of time to fire off a few rounds at you while you try and get them in the eyes, and would still be able to fire blindly in your direction if you succeeded.

While with a "real" phaser set to stun, one shot in their general direction will take them out instantly, and without causing permanent debilitating injury that might result in prosecution.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology