JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 1st May 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
orange31
Thinker

low cost math program?

Hello, are their low cost ( < $100) or even free user friendly math programs out there, for personal use? Some of the big boys are priced more for institutions; thanks!
orange31 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

I use SymPy due to it being Python-based (and free). There are others out there:

http://www.opensourcemath.org/opensource_math.html
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Tubbythin
Illuminator

I like R.
Tubbythin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 04:26 PM   #4
blobru
Philosopher

GeoGebra's nice (for geometry & algebra); free, too.

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny

Last edited by blobru; 1st May 2012 at 04:29 PM.
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 05:04 PM   #5
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if you'd describe it as easy to use but Scilab is excellent. There's also Octave but (I'm told) it's rather rough still. Both are similar to Mathlab.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by orange31 View Post
Hello, are their low cost ( < $100) or even free user friendly math programs out there, for personal use? Some of the big boys are priced more for institutions; thanks!

What exactly do you mean by "math program"?
A calculator program?
Spreadsheet?
Accounting software?
Math tutor?
Old 1st May 2012, 07:10 PM   #7
xtifr
Muse

If you're interested in online resources, there's http://www.wolframalpha.com/ from the makers of Matlab. It's no substitute for Matlab/SciLab/Octave, but it can do some pretty impressive things.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Tubbythin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by xtifr View Post
If you're interested in online resources, there's http://www.wolframalpha.com/ from the makers of Matlab. It's no substitute for Matlab/SciLab/Octave, but it can do some pretty impressive things.
wolframalpha is from the makers of Mathematica, not Matlab.
Tubbythin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:08 AM   #9
elgarak
Master Poster

I usually understand "Math software" = "Computer Algebra System".

Is that what you want?

If so, this Wiki article gives a pretty nice overview.

The vast majority of them are free (open source and/or publicly licensed). Some are insanely expensive (though those expensive commercial ones are usually 'nicer', user friendlier, and with more complete feature lists). A handful are cheap.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:03 AM   #10
orange31
Thinker

Yes, something that can do calculus, advanced algebra - thanks for the help!
orange31 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:36 PM   #11
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Let's also bump this one occasionally for the benefit of others who might want similar programs/ assistance!! And BUMP!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 02:06 PM   #12
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

And, thus I bumpeth!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 06:21 PM   #13
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

again. Keep watching the threads!

Wash this space!

Old 5th May 2012, 06:42 PM   #14
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

And, probably last for this one - we'll check the views number tomorrow and decide....

Wash this space!

Old 6th May 2012, 12:56 PM   #15
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

It's up a good bit so one more, then.......

Wash this space!

Old 6th May 2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
It's up a good bit so one more, then.......
It's possible that most of views are from people like me, who see the thread come up in their subscription list or the main page and click on it to see if anybody's said anything interesting, only to be disappointed that it's just another bump.

(Of course, I could always remove it from my subscription list, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Normally I clear out a whole bunch of threads from the list at once.)

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology