JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Reply
Old 1st May 2012, 07:40 PM   #41
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 35,966
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear Piscivore,

I disagree with your objection, because "being a psychopath" is very close if not identical to having intent to commit an offense. Would you deny the relevant authorities the right to stop an offense that is about to be committed? A rabid dog is shot for what it is, not for what it has done.

But even were I to grant your objection, propose it I do. It sounds as though it would lead to a much safer society! If every beyond-any-doubt thief (car and up), rapist, and murderer lacking any exonerating circumstances were executed, how would that not make society safer? All those festering wells of hatred, ugliness and criminal education called prisons could in substantial part be cleaned out, like a surgical vacuum sucks out a wound.

Cpl Ferro
Aside from your True Psychopath Wears a Kilt argument, which is totally unsubstantiated opinion on your part...

And your amazing data and evidence that lead you to the conclusion that money and lawyers would not function as they do now is? And that the usual means by which the well heeled and socially placed individual avoids convictions will be changed how?

Or is this going to be like china? Where they just execute those who can't pay their way out or those who fall upon the ire of the well placed?

How many beyond any doubt rapists get away with because of their social status? Or will you just kill the poor ones?
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 07:41 PM   #42
mijopaalmc
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,249
Differences between psychopathy and other personality disorders: evidence from neuroimaging

Originally Posted by Sarkar et al. (2011)
ICD-1O and DSM-IV-TR diagnostic guidelines do not list psychopathy as a distinct psychiatric entity. However, there are significant overlaps between psychopathy and DSM-IV-TR Cluster B personality disorders. Neuroimaging studies implicate deficits in structure and function of frontal and limbic regions in this group of personality disorders, while highlighting both distinctions and overlaps between syndromes. Here, these data are reviewed and implications for diagnosis and clinical practice are discussed.
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 07:43 PM   #43
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 35,966
Originally Posted by epepke View Post
I find myself a lot less scared of even the most violent criminals than I do of people who think they know how to solve the problems and make a perfect society.

Even Jeffrey Dahmer probably got full on occasion or ran out of ketchup or room for more freezers every once in a while. People's appetites have limitations, satiable by maybe a few score victims. There seems to be no limitation on the impulse to do good; even tens of millions of dead do not slow it down.
Nomination!
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 1st May 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 08:36 PM   #44
crimresearch
Alumbrado
 
crimresearch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,618
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
The problem is that many sociopaths are quite successful and do not engage in traditional acts of criminality. They engage in culturally sanctioned acts like sales and promotion.

Just because someone is an adept liar with little regard for social mores does not mean that they are not a functioning member of society. I know one who was a major in the Army, would have made Colonel if he hadn't slept with an enlisted woman. Yet he was career soldier and now teaches college.
Those are partial psychopaths.
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2012, 09:05 PM   #45
Ladewig
Hipster alien
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: not measurable
Posts: 19,751
Originally Posted by Aoidoi View Post
How does that Hare Checklist rank advocating the death of 70 Million people?
Smartly done.
__________________
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:53 AM   #46
Carnivore
Salad Dodger
 
Carnivore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,460
Originally Posted by crimresearch View Post
Those are partial psychopaths.
Was Ted Bundy a partial psychopath? He had a degree in psychology, was active in the Republican party and was accepted into law school on the recommendtion of the Governor of Washington.

Smart psychopaths often do have the ability to plan ahead at least in the short term, and thus percieve an advantage to themselves in controlling their impulses to achieve a specific goal.

If Bundy hadn't had his taste for a particular type of violence, he may well have gone on to become a sleazy politician. He would still have beeen a psychopath.
__________________
"It's backwards thinking like this that made me leave Manchester. You Guinness swilling, Marmite blaspheming animal." - Malfie Henpox
Carnivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:56 AM   #47
jj
grumpy old skeptic
 
jj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Deep in the rain
Posts: 21,380
Originally Posted by mijopaalmc View Post
Neuroimaging has been used to study psychopathy and there are statistically significant differences between psychopaths and non-psychopaths. However, I have yet to hear of neuroimaging as being diagnostic for psychopathy.
And how many non-psychopaths have the same kind of neuroimage?

This seems a lot like endorsing thoughtcrime.
__________________
The Power to Quit
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:12 AM   #48
TheGoldcountry
Graduate Poster
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,970
Originally Posted by jj View Post
And how many non-psychopaths have the same kind of neuroimage?

This seems a lot like endorsing thoughtcrime.
It's not "like" thoughtcrime, it is thoughtcrime.
__________________
Not exactly, I'm talking about something I don't know about, if its there then it is what I am talking about and thats not nothing. -punshhh

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:29 AM   #49
mijopaalmc
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,249
Originally Posted by jj View Post
And how many non-psychopaths have the same kind of neuroimage?

This seems a lot like endorsing thoughtcrime.
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
It's not "like" thoughtcrime, it is thoughtcrime.
Only if you.completely ignore that I said that neuroimaging is not diagnostic for psychopathy.
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:22 AM   #50
crimresearch
Alumbrado
 
crimresearch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,618
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
Was Ted Bundy a partial psychopath? He had a degree in psychology, was active in the Republican party and was accepted into law school on the recommendtion of the Governor of Washington.

Smart psychopaths often do have the ability to plan ahead at least in the short term, and thus percieve an advantage to themselves in controlling their impulses to achieve a specific goal.

If Bundy hadn't had his taste for a particular type of violence, he may well have gone on to become a sleazy politician. He would still have beeen a psychopath.
Bundy met the PCL-R and CAPP indicators for full blown psychopathy.
To the end, he was convinced that he just had to make the right move, and he would win the game.

http://jill-stefko.suite101.com/hare...d-pclr-a140330

http://bctp.datasenter.no/wp-content...ember-2011.pdf

Lots of people have the factors associated with psychopathy, very few have them to the extremes needed to come into conflict with the rest of the world.

How many remain in the 'partial' realm of sleazy politicians and used car hucksters is anyone's guess.
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:56 AM   #51
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shifting through paradigms
Posts: 44,878
Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post
The difference is though, if stuff goes wrong , the man with the briefcase just hightails it to Aruba. The man with the gun kill 3 people.
Actually some of those men with their briefcases have no qualms when a decision they make will certainly end up in some deaths. Whether it is the 11 dead on an exploding oil platform or colluding with the Nigerian military to have protestors hung, CEOs can be murderers for all intents and purposes.
__________________
(*Tired of continuing to hear the "Democrat Party" repeatedly I've decided to adopt the name, Pubbie Party, Repubs "Republics" and Republic Party in response.)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:38 AM   #52
Jono
Graduate Poster
 
Jono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,818
Originally Posted by mediocrity511 View Post
Is being a psychopath incurable though?
Short of lobotomy, it is incurable as far as we can tell. As a general rule, whenever a specified psychopath committs a crime, they go to prison and not to a mental hospital. Why? Because their state is their personality, it isn't curable and they are well aware of what they are doing when they are doing it.

Either way, as it has been mentioned by others already, not all psychopaths are of the murderous vein.
__________________
"I don't believe I ever saw an Oklahoman who wouldn't fight at the drop of a hat -- and frequently drop the hat himself." - Robert E. Howard
Jono is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:21 AM   #53
BravesFan
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
Was Ted Bundy a partial psychopath? He had a degree in psychology, was active in the Republican party and was accepted into law school on the recommendtion of the Governor of Washington.

Smart psychopaths often do have the ability to plan ahead at least in the short term, and thus percieve an advantage to themselves in controlling their impulses to achieve a specific goal.

If Bundy hadn't had his taste for a particular type of violence, he may well have gone on to become a sleazy politician. He would still have beeen a psychopath.
If i remember correctly from John Douglas' book on Bundy, he was like a textbook case of the escalation of violence in psychopathic serial killers. He started out killing every once in a while, and in a highly organized fashion, but his addiction to the act of killing grew stronger and stronger until by the end he had almost regressed to an unorganized killer. Eventually his impulse control was almost zero.
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:34 PM   #54
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
So, what's your conclusion, then? Do you think it should be legal to ban certain people from specific locales, jobs, etc. to be determined by a brain scan? Sounds very familiar, and scarier to me personally than the existence of potential psychopaths.
Dear TGc,

I don't yet have a conclusion, only the basic principle of neutralisation and the understanding that certain incorribly dangerous people can be identified. If a brainscan could infallibly identify individuals who are as likely to offend as any "dangerous offender" is--i.e. their scan resembled that of one who has committed murder, not one who has not--then why wouldn't we take steps to neutralise that threat, at least as much as we would take steps to neutralise someone who walked around with a sign stating his intent to commit, say, an assassination?

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:36 PM   #55
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Aside from your True Psychopath Wears a Kilt argument, which is totally unsubstantiated opinion on your part...

And your amazing data and evidence that lead you to the conclusion that money and lawyers would not function as they do now is? And that the usual means by which the well heeled and socially placed individual avoids convictions will be changed how?

Or is this going to be like china? Where they just execute those who can't pay their way out or those who fall upon the ire of the well placed?

How many beyond any doubt rapists get away with because of their social status? Or will you just kill the poor ones?
Dear David,

If we don't trust the legal system, we can always switch to an anarchy and just hang people we don't like.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:41 PM   #56
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by crimresearch View Post
In Canada, the dangerous offender provision is applied to violent criminals. You are proposing a life sentence for simply stealing something worth a few hundred dollars.

In Canada, the dangerous offender provision is applied to a couple dozen people each year after careful evaluation.
In the US, these people would end up in extreme facilities like Pelican Bay.
You are proposing locking thousands upon thousands of people up on the say so of a 'brain scan'.

In Canada, most repeat offenders are kept under community supervision, as they are in the US, you are proposing a massive influx of permanent inmates into an already overly large population.
Dear crim,

Many women rent their vaginas for a few hundred dollars, is the theft of that commodity worth no more consideration than that?

The basic understanding is that people who commit grievous harm to other people must be neutralised.

If there are too many murderers and rapists in prison then, fine, we can start executing them, starting with the ones whose brain scans prove they are psychopaths.

If people knew the penalty for grievous offenses was death, they might think twice about committing them. But, even if they don't, problem solved with a tree and a $5 rope.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:44 PM   #57
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
What exactly does "hopeless potential for re-offense" mean?

But checking the Wikipedia page on dangerous offenders: "The purpose of the legislation is to detain offenders who are deemed too dangerous to be released into society because of their violent tendencies,".

If a psychopath exhibits no violent or criminal tendencies, why would you need to lock them up?

According to Wikipedia...


So you're advocating permanent incarceration of a mostly nonviolent subset of society?

Also on the Wikipedia page...


There's pretty much no way to tell for sure if someone is or is not a psychopath. If psychopaths were to be locked up for life, that would mean the government could imprison anyone they wanted simply by declaring them a psychopath.
Dear Brian-M,

That makes sense, if psychopathy isn't an infallible indicator of one's tendency to offend. In that case, brain scans and the like would be pieces of evidence which collectively prove an offender is to be declared a "dangerous offender" and disposed of appropriately.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:04 PM   #58
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster
 
Weak Kitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lost and lonely...will you be my friend?
Posts: 1,910
It seems to me that the basic argument comes down to "Is it right to imprison or kill someone for a crime which they have not yet committed?"

Even if we speculate a test which can detect that a person has all of the potential to become a killer most here consider it wrong to kill someone for something they have not yet done. There is still the margin of error, the chance that the person themselves may choose not to kill. Thus, to kill them would mean that you had killed an innocent person.

Add to that margin of error any number of additional concerns, from faulty test results to intentional manipulation to kill off undesirables, and you have what most would consider a nightmare situation.
__________________
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:40 PM   #59
mijopaalmc
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,249
Even if we could design an accurate test that would predict future criminality with no false negative or false positive, is it ethical to imprison someone before they have done something tobmerit imprisonment?
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:03 PM   #60
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 35,642
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear All,

Been reading about psychopaths recently, about how they constitute an estimated 1% of the population, and about how they are incorrible. My question is, why aren't they removed from society? We can say they get one chance to be good, but, once they've murdered or raped or committed grand larcency, and the brain scan tests positive for psychopathy, why should society tolerate them any more? They won't learn from punishment, they will continue to be loose cannons for the rest of their lives, making it a matter of time before they hurt someone. Why not dispose of them permanently, whether by jail or by gibbet?

Cpl Ferro
I assume you mean incurable but it could be incorrigible. I believe either works.

As much as I hate to say this - and this would not bear much in the way of extension (I feel required to specify that for some reason) - I do agree with you in this (AFAIK) matter.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:28 PM   #61
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ponylandistan
Posts: 2,019
Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post
A lot of folks with Anti-social Personality Disorder don't become criminals, a lot of them become adrenaline junkies or end up in high energy jobs like boiler room trading or working the floor at the exchanges.

I think the present method of trying to get care for those who seek it out and putting away those who break our laws is about the best we can hope to do in a free society.
That is not true. Did you get that from the interview with Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinsky? If you never commit a crime, you'll never be diagnosed with ASPD. Psychopaths are by and large defined by their actions.

I have little doubt that the world would be a better place without psychopaths because in spite of a few areas where their traits may prove to be a benefit, the overall damage they do far outweighs the "good". ( "Good" is in quote marks because ASPD's don't care).

There's a problem with identifying ASPD's because it's both physical and social factors that makes a True PscyhoTM. I wouldn't have a problem though, if sometime in the future, there was a way of screening embryos for the defect that leads to ASPD, so people could choose to get an abortion. We do that with a lot of other things today, anyway.
__________________
Quantum physics means that anything can happen at anytime and for no reason. Also, eat plenty of oatmeal, and animals never had a war! - Deepak Chopra
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:52 PM   #62
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions
 
Beerina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: A floating island above the clouds
Posts: 24,309
Originally Posted by mijopaalmc View Post
Even if we could design an accurate test that would predict future criminality with no false negative or false positive, is it ethical to imprison someone before they have done something tobmerit imprisonment?
Just knowledge that you were definitely going to commit a crime would make a lot of people not commit it.
__________________
"Great innovations should not be forced [by way of] slender majorities." - Thomas Jefferson

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:39 PM   #63
crimresearch
Alumbrado
 
crimresearch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,618
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear crim,

Many women rent their vaginas for a few hundred dollars, is the theft of that commodity worth no more consideration than that?

The basic understanding is that people who commit grievous harm to other people must be neutralised.

If there are too many murderers and rapists in prison then, fine, we can start executing them, starting with the ones whose brain scans prove they are psychopaths.

If people knew the penalty for grievous offenses was death, they might think twice about committing them. But, even if they don't, problem solved with a tree and a $5 rope.

Cpl Ferro
You don't even have a clue, but thought it would somehow make you seem important to toss around words like 'grand theft' among your 'brain scan' gibberish.
Your new spate of pretzel logic is equally illogical.

So back on topic, what was your outcome on the PCL-R?
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:32 PM   #64
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing
 
Bikewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 10,540
Seems we had a similar thread on this recently, with the same problem over definitions. "Psychpath" being ( to my knowledge) someone suffering from some sort of psychosis. That's a big tent, and many folks have a wide variety of mental illnesses with many different symptoms presented.
Most are not remotely dangerous.
"Sociopaths" are a different case. They lack empathy, among other things, but can also be glib, charming, and persuasive. They make good used-car salesmen and politicians...

A sociopath who is also afflicted with other forms of mental illness or paraphilia can become a particularly dangerous type of serial killer or rapist...
But most are no more dangerous than anyone else.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:42 PM   #65
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ponylandistan
Posts: 2,019
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Seems we had a similar thread on this recently, with the same problem over definitions. "Psychpath" being ( to my knowledge) someone suffering from some sort of psychosis. That's a big tent, and many folks have a wide variety of mental illnesses with many different symptoms presented.
Most are not remotely dangerous.
"Sociopaths" are a different case. They lack empathy, among other things, but can also be glib, charming, and persuasive. They make good used-car salesmen and politicians...

A sociopath who is also afflicted with other forms of mental illness or paraphilia can become a particularly dangerous type of serial killer or rapist...
But most are no more dangerous than anyone else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy
__________________
Quantum physics means that anything can happen at anytime and for no reason. Also, eat plenty of oatmeal, and animals never had a war! - Deepak Chopra
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:48 PM   #66
wasapi
Master Poster
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,653
What is the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath? Is one more liable to commit violent crimes?

An 8 year old I know of comes to mind. Starting at about age 3 he was already torturing animals. After a few more years he added arson to his prior favorite past time of killing and mutilating animals.

While I'm unaware of all the steps the parents have taken to, I do know they have tried in desperation to do get him help numerous times.

Again, I do not have all of the information. The parents seem to be good people, but are in fear of their lives and the lives of the other 2 siblings.

When I come across discussions about removing certain people from society permanently, it is overwhelming to think of how and who would decide, overwhelming to think of what horrible ramifications are ripe for such crucial decisions, and overwhelming to try and decide what is inherently right or wrong.

However, I also find it overwhelming at times to wonder what future atrocities this child, and others like him, will commit if they remain in society.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:49 PM   #67
mijopaalmc
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,249
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Seems we had a similar thread on this recently, with the same problem over definitions. "Psychpath" being ( to my knowledge) someone suffering from some sort of psychosis.
Psychotics, not psychopaths, suffer from psychosis. In fact, the presence of psychosis excludes the diagnosis of psychopathy, or at least antisocial personality disorder.
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:58 PM   #68
BravesFan
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ocean Springs, Ms
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
That is not true. Did you get that from the interview with Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinsky? If you never commit a crime, you'll never be diagnosed with ASPD. Psychopaths are by and large defined by their actions.

I have little doubt that the world would be a better place without psychopaths because in spite of a few areas where their traits may prove to be a benefit, the overall damage they do far outweighs the "good". ( "Good" is in quote marks because ASPD's don't care).

There's a problem with identifying ASPD's because it's both physical and social factors that makes a True PscyhoTM. I wouldn't have a problem though, if sometime in the future, there was a way of screening embryos for the defect that leads to ASPD, so people could choose to get an abortion. We do that with a lot of other things today, anyway.
That is not true, people get diagnosed with it all the time as children. Maybe not in Sweden with it's massive population...........
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:22 PM   #69
crimresearch
Alumbrado
 
crimresearch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,618
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Seems we had a similar thread on this recently, with the same problem over definitions. "Psychpath" being ( to my knowledge) someone suffering from some sort of psychosis. That's a big tent, and many folks have a wide variety of mental illnesses with many different symptoms presented.
Most are not remotely dangerous.
"Sociopaths" are a different case. They lack empathy, among other things, but can also be glib, charming, and persuasive. They make good used-car salesmen and politicians...

A sociopath who is also afflicted with other forms of mental illness or paraphilia can become a particularly dangerous type of serial killer or rapist...
But most are no more dangerous than anyone else.
There is a lot of squabbling about the difference between psychopathy and sociopathy, I prefer to file it as psychologists and sociologists having a peeing contest about labelling the same basic thing.
The list of factors has been given above.


Psychosis is another ball of wax entirely, commonly with auditory hallucinations and other symptoms that aren't seen as part of psychopathy...
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001553.htm
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:04 PM   #70
JJM 777
Illuminator
 
JJM 777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,175
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
once they've murdered or raped or committed grand larcency, and the brain scan tests positive for psychopathy
If the brain scan tests do not fully correlate with the criminality of people -- some "tested positive" commit no crimes, and some who commit crimes are not "tested positive" -- are the brain scan tests relevant at all?
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:23 PM   #71
mijopaalmc
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,249
Originally Posted by JJM 777 View Post
If the brain scan tests do not fully correlate with the criminality of people -- some "tested positive" commit no crimes, and some who commit crimes are not "tested positive" -- are the brain scan tests relevant at all?
For the millionth time, neuroimaging is not diagnostic for pyschopathy, or any other mental illness.
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:15 PM   #72
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,684
Removing psychopaths from society permanently sounds like something a psychopath would come up with. Hence, I endorse it as well.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:53 PM   #73
IdiotWhacker
Thinker
 
IdiotWhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 186
Actually learning from the psychopaths is the true way to understand the mind removing them from society will just make psychopaths at the cost of lives.
__________________
He who destroys a good book kills reason itself.

Last edited by IdiotWhacker; 3rd May 2012 at 12:11 AM.
IdiotWhacker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:17 AM   #74
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ponylandistan
Posts: 2,019
Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post
That is not true, people get diagnosed with it all the time as children. Maybe not in Sweden with it's massive population...........
Not quite. A person under the age of 18 is never diagnosed with ASPD.

I don't get the second part of your post. Do you think Denmark is a part of Sweden?
__________________
Quantum physics means that anything can happen at anytime and for no reason. Also, eat plenty of oatmeal, and animals never had a war! - Deepak Chopra
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:07 AM   #75
Tatyana
Illuminator
 
Tatyana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Experiment 1: Flame and Flesh
Posts: 3,494
Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
A rabid dog is shot for what it is, not for what it has done.
A rabid dog is going to die because of the rabies virus is going to kill the dog.

In all of human history, there have only been two human beings that have survived a rabies infection (they were still given the treatment, just later than it is thought that people will survive).

In England, in effect, we do lock up psychopaths for life once they have been convicted of a crime.

Most would serve lesser sentences if they had not been 'insane'.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_Hospital
Tatyana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:10 AM   #76
Tatyana
Illuminator
 
Tatyana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Experiment 1: Flame and Flesh
Posts: 3,494
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Seems we had a similar thread on this recently, with the same problem over definitions. "Psychpath" being ( to my knowledge) someone suffering from some sort of psychosis. That's a big tent, and many folks have a wide variety of mental illnesses with many different symptoms presented.
Most are not remotely dangerous.
"Sociopaths" are a different case. They lack empathy, among other things, but can also be glib, charming, and persuasive. They make good used-car salesmen and politicians...

A sociopath who is also afflicted with other forms of mental illness or paraphilia can become a particularly dangerous type of serial killer or rapist...
But most are no more dangerous than anyone else.
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
What is the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath? Is one more liable to commit violent crimes?

An 8 year old I know of comes to mind. Starting at about age 3 he was already torturing animals. After a few more years he added arson to his prior favorite past time of killing and mutilating animals.

While I'm unaware of all the steps the parents have taken to, I do know they have tried in desperation to do get him help numerous times.

Again, I do not have all of the information. The parents seem to be good people, but are in fear of their lives and the lives of the other 2 siblings.

When I come across discussions about removing certain people from society permanently, it is overwhelming to think of how and who would decide, overwhelming to think of what horrible ramifications are ripe for such crucial decisions, and overwhelming to try and decide what is inherently right or wrong.

However, I also find it overwhelming at times to wonder what future atrocities this child, and others like him, will commit if they remain in society.
I saw Jon Ronson speak at the London Sceptic's in the Pub last summer about his new book 'The Psychopath's Test' and asked him what the difference is between sociopaths and psychopaths.

He said there isn't one and that the term 'sociopath' was coined to make the concept more palatable to the general public.
Tatyana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:46 AM   #77
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs
 
Professor Yaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Emily's shop
Posts: 17,311
Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post
A rabid dog is going to die because of the rabies virus is going to kill the dog.

In all of human history, there have only been two human beings that have survived a rabies infection (they were still given the treatment, just later than it is thought that people will survive).

In England, in effect, we do lock up psychopaths for life once they have been convicted of a crime.

Most would serve lesser sentences if they had not been 'insane'.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_Hospital
The new(ish) DSPD units are extremely controversial in the psychiatric community:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...00m-plan-waste
http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/CRDWeb/Sho...ID=22009101197
http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/9/5/349.full

Last edited by Professor Yaffle; 3rd May 2012 at 03:53 AM.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 04:17 AM   #78
Brian-M
Daydreamer
 
Brian-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Downunder
Posts: 6,363
Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post
In England, in effect, we do lock up psychopaths for life once they have been convicted of a crime.

Most would serve lesser sentences if they had not been 'insane'.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_Hospital
Reading the link you give, it says...

Quote:
A new unit called the Paddock Centre was opened on 12 December 2005 to treat patients with a dangerous severe personality disorder (DSPD). This is a new and much debated diagnosis or label that has two criteria. The first criterion is that the individual be 'dangerous', i.e. they are considered to be or represent a 'Grave and Immediate Danger' to the general public. It has been suggested that the threshold for this criterion be set at a greater than 50% chance of that individual committing serious harm upon another, from which the victim is unlikely to recover.

The second DSPD criterion is that the individual suffers from a 'severe personality disorder', meaning that he or she has:
  1. A diagnosis of two or more personality disorders that meet the criteria as laid out in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM IV –TR; or
  2. A significant score (i.e. 30 or higher) on the Hare Psychopathy Check list – Revised (PCL-R); or
  3. A slightly lower score (i.e. 25 to 29) on the Hare Psychopathy Check list and with one or more personality disorders but not including an Antisocial personality disorder diagnosis.
So they're not locking them up for being psychopaths, they're locking them up for having a dangerous severe personality disorder. While being a psychopath (scoring 30 or higher on the Hare Psychopathy Check list) can be part of the diagnosis for this, this alone isn't enough to have them locked up. The also need to be demonstrated as representing a 'Grave and Immediate Danger' to the general public, which isn't true for most psychopaths.
__________________
"That is just what you feel, that isn't reality." - hamelekim

Last edited by Brian-M; 3rd May 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:17 AM   #79
CplFerro
Graduate Poster
 
CplFerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by JJM 777 View Post
If the brain scan tests do not fully correlate with the criminality of people -- some "tested positive" commit no crimes, and some who commit crimes are not "tested positive" -- are the brain scan tests relevant at all?
Dear JJM 777,

Are you saying that the tests need to be tested themselves to make sure they indicate what they appear to indicate?

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:25 AM   #80
Tatyana
Illuminator
 
Tatyana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Experiment 1: Flame and Flesh
Posts: 3,494
Originally Posted by Tatyana View Post
A rabid dog is going to die because of the rabies virus is going to kill the dog.

In all of human history, there have only been two human beings that have survived a rabies infection (they were still given the treatment, just later than it is thought that people will survive).

In England, in effect, we do lock up psychopaths for life once they have been convicted of a crime.

Most would serve lesser sentences if they had not been 'insane'.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_Hospital
Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
Reading the link you give, it says...



So they're not locking them up for being psychopaths,
they're locking them up for having a dangerous severe personality disorder. While being a psychopath (scoring 30 or higher on the Hare Psychopathy Check list) can be part of the diagnosis for this, this alone isn't enough to have them locked up. The also need to be demonstrated as representing a 'Grave and Immediate Danger' to the general public, which isn't true for most psychopaths.
I never said that.
Tatyana is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.