JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 7th May 2012, 03:55 PM   #81
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
I think if you've been a poster for a long time or have many posts that should be an indication of something.
What?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 03:57 PM   #82
truethat
Penultimate Amazing

That you are not newly trolling, people generally have an idea about your past posting. It's one thing if a newbie starts asking questions about Christianity for example, and quite another if I do or someone else who is a well known atheist. Then it just comes across as stupid to me.

― Julie Rugg, A Book Addict's Treasury
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 08:24 PM   #83
AttorneyTom
Muse

Well.. I learned a lesson yesterday.

I noticed a thread on this section that was started by a new person and the replies she received were.. I thought.. were very dismissive and not receptive so I stepped in.. I ended in "thread purgatory" where the argumentative folks go. Rightly so...

Edit:

It was not or did not seem like "Auto Woo" to me but just seemed like the "veterans" were making fun of the fact that she was new and did not know things about how the Board worked. What is nice now is that others have stepped up in the thread and genuinely seem to be helpful and friendly.

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 7th May 2012 at 08:36 PM.
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 11:46 PM   #84
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
Well.. I learned a lesson yesterday.

I noticed a thread on this section that was started by a new person and the replies she received were.. I thought.. were very dismissive and not receptive so I stepped in.. I ended in "thread purgatory" where the argumentative folks go. Rightly so...

Edit:

It was not or did not seem like "Auto Woo" to me but just seemed like the "veterans" were making fun of the fact that she was new and did not know things about how the Board worked. What is nice now is that others have stepped up in the thread and genuinely seem to be helpful and friendly.
I've just taken a look at the abandon all hope section for the thread you're talking about. I think you misunderstood the situation there. Ieatthedead (another new person) explains it well, if you want to take another look.
Mashuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 05:53 PM   #85
AttorneyTom
Muse

I did. Yes.. misunderstood. Guilty.
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 03:58 PM   #86
Jre1983
New Blood

I think to some degree this is the rule of thumb on any well established forum. Invariably as a newb, everyone already had the discussion you want to have six months ago, and will wave it off or point you to the old one, but a lot of the time there will also be other noobs, or people who missed the last go-round, will take up the call, or even the same people who want more practice at it. After all, reason and critical thinking aren't like riding a bike, use em or lose em. Take the opportunity to address a debate differently, or wave it off and look for something interesting Even though this is probably a kinder forum than most, all have a kind of "baptism by fire" period of inestimable length. If you can't take old members saying "go away, the thing you like is dumb" I'd seek other noninternet means of socialization.
Jre1983 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 06:20 PM   #87
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by Jre1983 View Post
I think to some degree this is the rule of thumb on any well established forum. Invariably as a newb, everyone already had the discussion you want to have six months ago, and will wave it off or point you to the old one, but a lot of the time there will also be other noobs, or people who missed the last go-round, will take up the call, or even the same people who want more practice at it. After all, reason and critical thinking aren't like riding a bike, use em or lose em. Take the opportunity to address a debate differently, or wave it off and look for something interesting Even though this is probably a kinder forum than most, all have a kind of "baptism by fire" period of inestimable length. If you can't take old members saying "go away, the thing you like is dumb" I'd seek other noninternet means of socialization.
Well.. I cannot disagree with any of that.

Hi Jre, and welcome !
Old 11th May 2012, 06:51 AM   #88
FSM
god

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
Yes.. not a fan of the " Defend Your Opinion" mindset.

I have learned some things since I have been here and certainly there are some very clever and intelligent folks that regularly post on the Boards.. which is fun !
Welcome! Btw...
Old 11th May 2012, 02:42 PM   #89
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Welcome! Btw...
Thank You FSM !

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal