JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Welcome!
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags introduce , members , newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Reply
Old 18th October 2012, 09:45 AM   #1361
Acleron
Master Poster
 
Acleron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a beautifully understandable universe
Posts: 2,290
Originally Posted by inflector View Post
Hello, I've been lurking for a while but just made my first posts. Two.

They don't show up, so I must assume there is a moderation system for new posters. What is process for the approval of posts from new posters?

- Curtis
Hi inflector and welcome.

I searched for more posts from you but only this one turns up. Any chance it was a transmission glitch from your end? Sometimes the forum is very slow from the UK and it takes some time for it to sort out it's knickers and accept a post.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 01:08 PM   #1362
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 13,848
Originally Posted by inflector View Post
Hello, I've been lurking for a while but just made my first posts. Two.

They don't show up, so I must assume there is a moderation system for new posters. What is process for the approval of posts from new posters?

- Curtis
I don't think the posts are moderated unless the thread is. If you're posting on a very popular thread, your new post may appear many answers past the last point you read to, and you may reopen to a page or two before yours appears. Make sure you check all the way to the end.

Edit to add, I guess not this time, but for a perfect example of what I was talking about, you can see where I forgot to check a page after your post to see the response that preceded mine.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Last edited by bruto; 18th October 2012 at 01:10 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 06:33 PM   #1363
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 28,968
Hi there inflector.



If you're posting here then your account has been approved and you're good to go.

The only reason I can think of that your posts haven't appeared yet is if you posted to a moderated thread (some of of the topics here dealing with figboots and certain conspiracies, etcetera require mod approval for each post) but you should have received a notification of that when you hit the Submit Button.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum. Enjoy!
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 06:35 PM   #1364
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 28,968
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Edit to add, I guess not this time, but for a perfect example of what I was talking about, you can see where I forgot to check a page after your post to see the response that preceded mine.


heh heh. So did I.

__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 12:33 AM   #1365
UTLonghorn
Critical Thinker
 
UTLonghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 390
Realized that I had an account over here that I completely forgot about and, after a two year absence, thought I would reintroduce myself and hopefully maintain my presence around the forum.

So uhhh...hi!
UTLonghorn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 12:41 AM   #1366
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee
 
UnrepentantSinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: USAian is not a word
Posts: 26,885
Always glad to have another Texan not only joining, but participating.
__________________
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 12:47 AM   #1367
AdMan
Philosopher
 
AdMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9,384
Originally Posted by UTLonghorn View Post
Realized that I had an account over here that I completely forgot about and, after a two year absence, thought I would reintroduce myself and hopefully maintain my presence around the forum.

So uhhh...hi!
Hi there, UTLonghorn, and hook 'em horns!
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
- Carl Sagan
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 12:57 AM   #1368
UTLonghorn
Critical Thinker
 
UTLonghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 390
Hook 'em indeed
UTLonghorn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 01:32 AM   #1369
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 25,478
UTLonghorn,
Seen a couple of your posts, and wondered how I missed someone for a couple of years with such an obvious NCAA moniker. The Football thread is well underway and I think we need a Longhorn supporter in there. Tricky, one of the evil moderators occasionally says something nice about Texas, but that's only when his wife is looking over his shoulder. I'd like to see a powerhouse Longhorn team again. I go back to the olden times when a road game to the SWC was something other conferences dreaded. (I was raise in New Orleans and spent a few years in Oklahoma, so no matter how you slice it, Texas is just plain evil.)

I'm sort of the honorary annual host of the NCAA basketball thread. You've got little hope there, either but maybe a little better than your gridiron prospects this year. Texas has been putting up some really interesting teams in the past few years.

Welcome aboard... the Sports threads are for fun and you'll find sworn enemies from various other forums with their feet up on the furniture and sharing nachos and a couple of brews.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 02:38 AM   #1370
UTLonghorn
Critical Thinker
 
UTLonghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 390
Foolmewunz,
You can be rest assured that I will be representing my school on the sports threads. Our football season started out promising, but it looks like a coaching change is needed. As much as I love Mack Brown, we just need some new blood. I think the loss of Will Muschamp to Florida ended up hurting us, too. You're right about our basketball squad...not much hope there.

I look forward to sparing with you and other Longhorn haters on the sports threads
UTLonghorn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 06:53 AM   #1371
Hallam
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 23
I briefly joined three years ago but didn't contribute much then.

My background is that I design computer network protocols. I was part of the CERN team that worked on the Web twenty years ago. I ended up doing security which means that I spend a lot of time looking at criminal frauds which have a lot of similarities to wu-claims.

I retired a few years back and then went back to part time work. I am now increasingly working on the history of the Web as I am called in to advise on patent disputes which leads to looking at what was going on 20 years ago. I am also asked to comment on various state sponsored attacks which are just emerging. Since the people I am working with don't understand the technology, that leads to looking at history for precedents they might understand.

So I am very interested in Russian work on parapsychology as that is what the opposition are in to.
Hallam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 04:38 PM   #1372
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 8,849
Originally Posted by UTLonghorn View Post
Foolmewunz,
You can be rest assured that I will be representing my school on the sports threads. Our football season started out promising, but it looks like a coaching change is needed. As much as I love Mack Brown, we just need some new blood. I think the loss of Will Muschamp to Florida ended up hurting us, too. You're right about our basketball squad...not much hope there.

I look forward to sparing with you and other Longhorn haters on the sports threads
Howdy, UTL! I spent 13 years as a Longhorn fan...in "Lubbick". Good to have you aboard!
__________________
"Anything that can be accepted into science gets accepted into science." -HighRiser
"And in science the default is that you're wrong. EVERYONE is wrong. You only can be not wrong if you have evidence to back up your claim." -Dinwar
"That is not my circus; those are not my monkeys." -Howard Tayler
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 07:45 PM   #1373
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 25,478
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Howdy, UTL! I spent 13 years as a Longhorn fan...
But you got better? Great to hear! Maybe you could post your program to help others. And does that same program work for West Virginia, Ohio State, Louisville, and Alabama? We have a few FANatics who could use a good twelve step program.

Meh? I come from places with notoriously bad University sports teams, so I get to be a little more judicious in my picking. If I like the cut of the jib of a certain team/program or have any affection for the coach, I'll support 'em. So coming up shortly.... Go Hoosiers! I'd like to see them come back just to take the long Bobby Knight hangover away.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 08:11 PM   #1374
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 8,849
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
But you got better? Great to hear! Maybe you could post your program to help others. And does that same program work for West Virginia, Ohio State, Louisville, and Alabama? We have a few FANatics who could use a good twelve step program.

Meh? I come from places with notoriously bad University sports teams, so I get to be a little more judicious in my picking. If I like the cut of the jib of a certain team/program or have any affection for the coach, I'll support 'em. So coming up shortly.... Go Hoosiers! I'd like to see them come back just to take the long Bobby Knight hangover away.
I take no credit for "controlling" my condition. Mostly, I just ponder games like last week...while I admit that I would cheer for the Wermacht against *klahoma, I am old fashioned; I believe that when a team issues an invitation to a contest of the game of American College Football, it behooves the team at least to show up. Now I live near a University (UNM) the football team of which (Go, WoeBoes!) rivals the haplessness of UTEP in the mid-70's.

But for the buffoonery of Texas judges, I would transfer my allegiance in fee simple to the Port LaVaca Fightin' Sandcrabs...
__________________
"Anything that can be accepted into science gets accepted into science." -HighRiser
"And in science the default is that you're wrong. EVERYONE is wrong. You only can be not wrong if you have evidence to back up your claim." -Dinwar
"That is not my circus; those are not my monkeys." -Howard Tayler
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 09:17 PM   #1375
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 25,478
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
I take no credit for "controlling" my condition. Mostly, I just ponder games like last week...while I admit that I would cheer for the Wermacht against *klahoma, I am old fashioned; I believe that when a team issues an invitation to a contest of the game of American College Football, it behooves the team at least to show up. Now I live near a University (UNM) the football team of which (Go, WoeBoes!) rivals the haplessness of UTEP in the mid-70's.

But for the buffoonery of Texas judges, I would transfer my allegiance in fee simple to the Port LaVaca Fightin' Sandcrabs...
Heck, I'm still pulling for SMU to go major again! Remember the rending of garments, tearing out of hair, and posturing in general when they got their sanctions? They might not even make the sporting pages outside of Dallas for the same offenses, today.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2012, 02:58 AM   #1376
Acleron
Master Poster
 
Acleron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a beautifully understandable universe
Posts: 2,290
Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
I briefly joined three years ago but didn't contribute much then.

My background is that I design computer network protocols. I was part of the CERN team that worked on the Web twenty years ago. I ended up doing security which means that I spend a lot of time looking at criminal frauds which have a lot of similarities to wu-claims.

I retired a few years back and then went back to part time work. I am now increasingly working on the history of the Web as I am called in to advise on patent disputes which leads to looking at what was going on 20 years ago. I am also asked to comment on various state sponsored attacks which are just emerging. Since the people I am working with don't understand the technology, that leads to looking at history for precedents they might understand.

So I am very interested in Russian work on parapsychology as that is what the opposition are in to.
Hi Hallam, good to see someone with your experience, I'm sure you will add to the debates.

Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2012, 06:25 AM   #1377
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 8,849
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Heck, I'm still pulling for SMU to go major again! Remember the rending of garments, tearing out of hair, and posturing in general when they got their sanctions? They might not even make the sporting pages outside of Dallas for the same offenses, today.
One of my minor claims to fame is that the man who wrote the "death penalty" for SMU football was my uncle, Lon Kliever...
__________________
"Anything that can be accepted into science gets accepted into science." -HighRiser
"And in science the default is that you're wrong. EVERYONE is wrong. You only can be not wrong if you have evidence to back up your claim." -Dinwar
"That is not my circus; those are not my monkeys." -Howard Tayler
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2012, 10:07 AM   #1378
UTLonghorn
Critical Thinker
 
UTLonghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 390
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Howdy, UTL! I spent 13 years as a Longhorn fan...in "Lubbick". Good to have you aboard!
I'm going there later this month to watch the Tech vs UT game. Never been to Lubbock, but I had a friend who went to Tech last year, and then he transfered to LSU because he hated the city so much.
UTLonghorn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2012, 04:51 PM   #1379
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 8,849
Originally Posted by UTLonghorn View Post
I'm going there later this month to watch the Tech vs UT game. Never been to Lubbock, but I had a friend who went to Tech last year, and then he transfered to LSU because he hated the city so much.
...get your shots, and pack your own water.
__________________
"Anything that can be accepted into science gets accepted into science." -HighRiser
"And in science the default is that you're wrong. EVERYONE is wrong. You only can be not wrong if you have evidence to back up your claim." -Dinwar
"That is not my circus; those are not my monkeys." -Howard Tayler
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2012, 10:24 PM   #1380
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 25,478
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
...get your shots, and pack your own water.


A friend of mine in Austin many years ago described Lubbock as "a wrong turn on the way to Hell". Never had the, er, "pleasure". I spent a month in Okmulgee one weekend, though. I can't imagine Lubbock is any worse.

Yeah, lived in both Louisiana and Oklahoma. Sorry, ain't gonna be no love of Longhorns at Chez Foolmewunz, although I enjoyed that basketball team from the last few years. I hope they're as much fun this year, and I can always pull for Texas in hoops because it's generally an afterthought on the Lone Star landscape. People don't realize how many good hoops players come through the schools. I understand they're usually two sport players and if they get too lean and lanky to play wide receiver or safety, they wind up in with the gym rates. That sounds like the stuff of urban legends, but I'll brazenly repeat it.

(RenaissanceBiker started my NCAA hoops thread already. It always gets very little attention until January when the BCS and bowl game lottery are finished.)
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:22 AM   #1381
Malfie Henpox
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 3,812
Welcome, new folk! I'm known round these parts as 'Nice' Malfie. Because I'm nice now. Hope you all settle in fast, it's a decent crowd. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't get some of the in jokes. But don't expect anyone else to understand them either. Most of them have just evolved to be, without any recalling why or how.
Malfie Henpox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 06:51 AM   #1382
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 25,478
Originally Posted by Malfie Henpox View Post
Welcome, new folk! I'm known round these parts as 'Nice' Malfie. Because I'm nice now. Hope you all settle in fast, it's a decent crowd. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't get some of the in jokes. But don't expect anyone else to understand them either. Most of them have just evolved to be, without any recalling why or how.
Okaaaaaay, Malfie. Er, I mean, "Nice Malfie". Keep your hands where I can see 'em. Attaboy. Easy now,.... Now back away from the thread. That's it. Back away slowly. Slowly!!! And keep those hands where I can see 'em. Okay, now let's go back to Forum Community. You know what Dr. Tricky said. One more time off the grounds without your ankle bracelet and Big Nurse is going to take you to the bad place again. You don't want to go to the bad place, do you. It's dark there, isn't it? And Nice Malfie said he didn't like it. C'mon now, we're having autumn fruit pudding before "group" later.


S'allright, everybody. Nothing to see here. Just move along. Back to your regularly scheduled Welcome Wagon. Wha? Malfie Who? Never heard of him. Probably just your imaginations playing trick on you because it's Halloween soon. Yeah, Halloween... that's it.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 05:37 AM   #1383
AbsurdWalls
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 55
Hello everyone!

I consider myself a skeptic and an ignostic (I almost never use the word, but it sums up my views very succinctly). I am also a neuroscientist (finishing up my PhD at the moment) and an amateur musician.
AbsurdWalls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 05:54 AM   #1384
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 28,968
Gosh, I feel so inadequate. The only one of those things that I am is 'amateur'.





Welcome to the Forum, AW.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 10:38 AM   #1385
Acleron
Master Poster
 
Acleron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a beautifully understandable universe
Posts: 2,290
Originally Posted by AbsurdWalls View Post
Hello everyone!

I consider myself a skeptic and an ignostic (I almost never use the word, but it sums up my views very succinctly). I am also a neuroscientist (finishing up my PhD at the moment) and an amateur musician.
Welcome AbsurdWalls, the water is warm and the sun is up so just dive in.

Ah, I see you already have
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 09:51 PM   #1386
smartcooky
Master Poster
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 2,369
Hello

Hello

I am a former Air Force avionics engineer (20 years) who specialized in Ground and Airborne Radar systems, ASW systems, flight, navigation and engineering instrumentation. On retiring, I went into the photographic industry where I first worked in a Photo Lab and then ended up owning one.

I like to put my "skeptic/conspiracy" cards on the table right from the get-go, so here is where stand....

Apollo Lunar landings
Actually took place as advertised - no conspiracy - Plenty of evidence to support the landings having taken place. NOT ONE PIECE of hard evidence for a hoax. Occam's Razor applies!

9/11 Attacks
No conspiracy but probably negligence. The reports that Arab flight students weren't interested in landing or taking off should have set deafening alarm bells ringing at every level of the intelligence community

JFK Shootings
A lone gunman (LHO), fired three shots from the sixth floor of the TSBD. No second gunman behind the grassy knoll - no conspiracy before the fact, possible cover up of negligence (JR shooting of LHO) after the fact.

Pearl Harbor
Tend to fall on the side of the traditionalists. Unsure on this one

UFOs
No evidence, no coverups. The only thing that goes on at Area 51 is black projects; and Roswell was a crashed project Mogul balloon.

I look forward to some interesting discussions.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 09:57 PM   #1387
AdMan
Philosopher
 
AdMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9,384
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Hello

I am a former Air Force avionics engineer (20 years) who specialized in Ground and Airborne Radar systems, ASW systems, flight, navigation and engineering instrumentation. On retiring, I went into the photographic industry where I first worked in a Photo Lab and then ended up owning one.

I like to put my "skeptic/conspiracy" cards on the table right from the get-go, so here is where stand....

Apollo Lunar landings
Actually took place as advertised - no conspiracy - Plenty of evidence to support the landings having taken place. NOT ONE PIECE of hard evidence for a hoax. Occam's Razor applies!

9/11 Attacks
No conspiracy but probably negligence. The reports that Arab flight students weren't interested in landing or taking off should have set deafening alarm bells ringing at every level of the intelligence community

JFK Shootings
A lone gunman (LHO), fired three shots from the sixth floor of the TSBD. No second gunman behind the grassy knoll - no conspiracy before the fact, possible cover up of negligence (JR shooting of LHO) after the fact.

Pearl Harbor
Tend to fall on the side of the traditionalists. Unsure on this one

UFOs
No evidence, no coverups. The only thing that goes on at Area 51 is black projects; and Roswell was a crashed project Mogul balloon.

I look forward to some interesting discussions.
LIES!!

Er, I mean, welcome.

It sounds like you'll feel right at home.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
- Carl Sagan

Last edited by AdMan; 25th October 2012 at 10:08 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 04:16 AM   #1388
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 25,478
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Hello

I am a former Air Force avionics engineer (20 years) who specialized in Ground and Airborne Radar systems, ASW systems, flight, navigation and engineering instrumentation. On retiring, I went into the photographic industry where I first worked in a Photo Lab and then ended up owning one.

I like to put my "skeptic/conspiracy" cards on the table right from the get-go, so here is where stand....

Apollo Lunar landings
Actually took place as advertised - no conspiracy - Plenty of evidence to support the landings having taken place. NOT ONE PIECE of hard evidence for a hoax. Occam's Razor applies!

9/11 Attacks
No conspiracy but probably negligence. The reports that Arab flight students weren't interested in landing or taking off should have set deafening alarm bells ringing at every level of the intelligence community

JFK Shootings
A lone gunman (LHO), fired three shots from the sixth floor of the TSBD. No second gunman behind the grassy knoll - no conspiracy before the fact, possible cover up of negligence (JR shooting of LHO) after the fact.

Pearl Harbor
Tend to fall on the side of the traditionalists. Unsure on this one

UFOs
No evidence, no coverups. The only thing that goes on at Area 51 is black projects; and Roswell was a crashed project Mogul balloon.

I look forward to some interesting discussions.
Hmmm? Sounds like you could be my sock puppet, but maybe a decade ago... 'cuz at that time I thought the jury was still out on aspects of Pearl Harbor, also. Drop into any thread featuring member "Gawdzilla" and the topic "Pearl Harbor". Encyclopedic knowledge on the subject.

I concur on your others, including 9/11 (and would add, "plus assorted cya moves by various divisions/agencies in the gov't").

Welcome aboard. All those CTs have seasonality... they're perennials, so if there's nothing of interest to you now, they come around often enough. Enjoy your stay.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 03:47 PM   #1389
UTLonghorn
Critical Thinker
 
UTLonghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 390
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Hello

I am a former Air Force avionics engineer (20 years) who specialized in Ground and Airborne Radar systems, ASW systems, flight, navigation and engineering instrumentation. On retiring, I went into the photographic industry where I first worked in a Photo Lab and then ended up owning one.

I like to put my "skeptic/conspiracy" cards on the table right from the get-go, so here is where stand....

Apollo Lunar landings
Actually took place as advertised - no conspiracy - Plenty of evidence to support the landings having taken place. NOT ONE PIECE of hard evidence for a hoax. Occam's Razor applies!

9/11 Attacks
No conspiracy but probably negligence. The reports that Arab flight students weren't interested in landing or taking off should have set deafening alarm bells ringing at every level of the intelligence community

JFK Shootings
A lone gunman (LHO), fired three shots from the sixth floor of the TSBD. No second gunman behind the grassy knoll - no conspiracy before the fact, possible cover up of negligence (JR shooting of LHO) after the fact.

Pearl Harbor
Tend to fall on the side of the traditionalists. Unsure on this one

UFOs
No evidence, no coverups. The only thing that goes on at Area 51 is black projects; and Roswell was a crashed project Mogul balloon.

I look forward to some interesting discussions.
Well based on from what I see here, it would appear you are a "smartcooky" after all...damn I'm funny. I can see my own HBO special in the near future.
__________________
Clifford Stern: "What is the guy so upset about? You'd think nobody was ever compared to Mussolini before."

Last edited by UTLonghorn; 26th October 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling
UTLonghorn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:53 AM   #1390
StevieB
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 19
StevieB here, north of the 49th. Part-time lurker, first-time poster.

Over the years I've had occasion to scour JREF for articles and common sense but until recently have never ventured into the discussion area. All too many forums tend to quickly regress from interesting debate to silly rants and personal attacks. I took a good look at some of the discussion areas on JREF and didn't see any of that nonsense. Although, admittedly, my sample size was probably too small to be significant.

But any site that is willing to honour Dr. Oz twice with a Pigasus award deserves more than a passing glance. So, here is me.
StevieB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:23 PM   #1391
Acleron
Master Poster
 
Acleron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a beautifully understandable universe
Posts: 2,290
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
StevieB here, north of the 49th. Part-time lurker, first-time poster.

Over the years I've had occasion to scour JREF for articles and common sense but until recently have never ventured into the discussion area. All too many forums tend to quickly regress from interesting debate to silly rants and personal attacks. I took a good look at some of the discussion areas on JREF and didn't see any of that nonsense. Although, admittedly, my sample size was probably too small to be significant.

But any site that is willing to honour Dr. Oz twice with a Pigasus award deserves more than a passing glance. So, here is me.
Hi you,

Sometimes it will become a bit heated but there are so any good posters here, the rants get diluted. So welcome and have a good time.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 05:02 PM   #1392
Spockette
Scholar
 
Spockette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 109
Another Newbie

Hello, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided I was spending enough time here to make registering worth while. This place is a haven of refuge from the vast wasteland of thoughtlessness. I've learned a lot from some of the discussions and hope to contribute my own 2 cents someday.

My personal history is so uninteresting it's not worth mentioning. I hope to hang onto my job for one more year until I can retire and become one of that parasitic 47%.
Spockette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 05:05 AM   #1393
12AX7
Glowing red!
 
12AX7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Iz in ur ampz, makin' ur tonez!
Posts: 7,667
Originally Posted by Spockette View Post
Hello, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided I was spending enough time here to make registering worth while. This place is a haven of refuge from the vast wasteland of thoughtlessness. I've learned a lot from some of the discussions and hope to contribute my own 2 cents someday.

My personal history is so uninteresting it's not worth mentioning. I hope to hang onto my job for one more year until I can retire and become one of that parasitic 47%.
Welcome!

I found this site to be a refuge as well. Feel free to jump in and contribute!
12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 06:56 AM   #1394
Spockette
Scholar
 
Spockette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 109
Thank you, Elypsis.
Spockette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 04:13 AM   #1395
Cheezey D
Student
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Somerset, UK
Posts: 28
Hi guys!

Got room for a country bumpkin from Wurzel land?

D
Cheezey D is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 01:23 PM   #1396
Acleron
Master Poster
 
Acleron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a beautifully understandable universe
Posts: 2,290
Originally Posted by Cheezey D View Post
Hi guys!

Got room for a country bumpkin from Wurzel land?

D
Welcome (Well as long as we don't get a rendition of 'Combine Harvester' )
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 01:48 AM   #1397
Cheezey D
Student
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Somerset, UK
Posts: 28
Thanks! Don't worry, I wouldn't inflict my singing on my worst enemy!

D
Cheezey D is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 12:21 PM   #1398
MikeG
Philosopher
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 5,177
Hi. I reached my PM limit, so it is time for me to come out into the open and say hello.

I am an architect from the UK. Some of you here may know me from the BFF, where I somehow became a moderator and then an Admin despite being a bewildered fence-sitter. I am now an ex member, hoping to maintain contact with the likes of Saskeptic, Jodie, Kitakaze, Tontar, LAL, and some others who may have different monikers here.

Other than ancient buildings and ultra-low-energy building design, my interests include Africa, where I am a frequent traveller, woodwork (mainly furniture making), science, and the natural world. I have two contrasting university degrees..........a BSc in Environmental Science, and a BA (plus post graduate qualifications) in Architecture. I also hold a couple of patents.

Mike

Last edited by MikeG; 13th November 2012 at 12:24 PM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2012, 01:45 PM   #1399
robcasey
Scholar
 
robcasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 52
Hi, new here. As advertised a place to discuss ........... in a friendly and lively way.... hmmmm. Not being funny here like, i am a geordie from england (Newcastle upon Tyne) and i have had more friendly beer bottles in me face on a saturday night than some of the responses i have seen on some of these threads! Just hope you will all be nice and friendly to me like peeps cos i am full of love .
robcasey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 01:42 AM   #1400
asydhouse
Graduate Poster
 
asydhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Swansea in the UK
Posts: 1,427
Hi robcasey and MikeG and welcome.

Not to worry robcasey, be honest and forthright, with a touch of humility and a willingness to acknowledge mistakes and learn when appropriate (which is any time one has been mistaken in one's information or approach to a concept) and you will be respected, and maybe even loved!

It's only intransigent trolling and the like which earns the impatience of the grizzled veterans of the fight against unskilled thinking! (Read "dishonest" for "unskilled".)

Have fun!
asydhouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Welcome!

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.