JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 10th November 2012, 06:14 AM   #1
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Is world hunger ineluctable

Is world hunger ineluctable?
Old 10th November 2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Delvo
Illuminator

If it can be elucted at all, the effective method certainly will not be by just producing and sending more food, even if the political & military situations in all starving areas were to settle down and allow that food to actually reach starving people. The result of that method of attempting to solve the problem is only to keep making it worse. Unfortunately, it's also the only method anybody is willing to try.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 07:27 AM   #3
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
If it can be elucted at all, the effective method certainly will not be by just producing and sending more food, even if the political & military situations in all starving areas were to settle down and allow that food to actually reach starving people. The result of that method of attempting to solve the problem is only to keep making it worse. Unfortunately, it's also the only method anybody is willing to try.
There have also been attempts to reduce the global population which didn't turn out very well.

Fortunately, there have also been trends unrelated to efforts to reduce the world's population which nevertheless point to a reduction in the world's population.
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Throwing money or food at regions dominated by lawlessness or warlords (or dictatorships) only temporarily helps things at best, and probably also lines the pockets of those in charge, which was their goal when seeking dominance to begin with.

The one way out -- freedom and security to produce and trade -- is the thing that's difficult to get implemented in these areas.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Big Les
Not so much a medium as a large

I have to admit to only clicking this thread to find out what the word 'ineluctable' means.

The BS Historian
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 08:44 AM   #6
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Big Les View Post
I have to admit to only clicking this thread to find out what the word 'ineluctable' means.
And did you find out?
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Jorghnassen
Illuminator

Well, well, I was just looking for an excuse to post this TED talk.

People have to start liking pork and feeding pigs what they were domesticated for (not expensive corn). Then perhaps hunger and food waste might be less of a problem. But the peace and freedom bit needs to be taken care of first if we really want to fix world hunger. I think we might have to wait a while...
Old 10th November 2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Jekyll's Guest
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jorghnassen View Post
People have to start liking pork and feeding pigs
So politicians and lobbyists have been fighting world hunger all this time?
Jekyll's Guest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 11:51 AM   #9
EdG
Scholar

... the effective method certainly will not be by just producing and sending more food ... The result of that method of attempting to solve the problem is only to keep making it worse.
Any documentation available for these bold statements? Or should we just take your word for it?
EdG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

No...

Some places will have plenty of food; others, not so much ..

Populations tend to grow and shrink depending on the availability of food..

ETA: Yes, I Googled that word.. No, I never plan on using it; spoken or written..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 10th November 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by h.g.Whiz View Post
Yes. In that, there will always be starving people.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 01:42 PM   #12
ehcks
Master Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
And did you find out?
The Scrabble dictionaries don't even have the word "eluct" in them.
Old 11th November 2012, 05:24 AM   #13
Jorghnassen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jekyll's Guest View Post
So politicians and lobbyists have been fighting world hunger all this time?
You cut the quote where you shouldn't have! Pigs were meant to eat garbage, no gigantic piles of money!

So no, they haven't been fighting world hunger at all, but they've been feeding their own world hunger, because they hunger for power over the world.
Old 11th November 2012, 05:45 AM   #14
Delvo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by EdG View Post
Any documentation available for these bold statements? Or should we just take your word for it?
There's nothing bold about it. It's standard basic stuff. Everybody in various fields of biology has known it for ages, and you'll find it in any introductory biology textbook with a chapter on basic beginner-level population dynamics, within the first couple of pages of such a chapter. In any population of any species in any given setting, from deer in the woodlands to fish in a pond to mold on/in a chunk of cheese, it always goes the same way, and the fact that it does so is put to use every day by the people who are responsible for managing those populations.

Quite simply, when a population is well fed, it grows until it isn't anymore.

And there is only one possible way to prevent it: introduce something which causes enough of the individuals in that population to die without producing enough offspring to replace themselves. However, every method of doing so among humans is either a pipe dream ("Just make everyone educated & rich, that'll do it!") or pretty horrific, so standard run-of-the-mill growth-until-resource-depletion it is.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 04:27 PM   #15
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Are you familiar with Thomas Maltus
Old 11th November 2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

You started this thread just as an excuse to use the word 'ineluctable', didn't you?
Old 11th November 2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

There will always be outliers in any population. So long as there are people, there will always be some who are eating too much and some who are not eating enough. So, in that sense, yes.

However, in a more realistic sense, I see no logical reason why a static relationship between food production, population and sustainability cannot be achieved.

Follow me on Twitter! @LossLeader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 05:29 PM   #18
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jorghnassen View Post
Well, well, I was just looking for an excuse to post this TED talk.

People have to start liking pork and feeding pigs what they were domesticated for (not expensive corn). Then perhaps hunger and food waste might be less of a problem. But the peace and freedom bit needs to be taken care of first if we really want to fix world hunger. I think we might have to wait a while...
Interesting TED talk, thanks.
Old 11th November 2012, 05:36 PM   #19
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

An Independent Candidate not getting elected is ineluctable.
Old 11th November 2012, 06:14 PM   #20
joesixpack
Illuminator

There's nothing bold about it. It's standard basic stuff. Everybody in various fields of biology has known it for ages, and you'll find it in any introductory biology textbook with a chapter on basic beginner-level population dynamics, within the first couple of pages of such a chapter. In any population of any species in any given setting, from deer in the woodlands to fish in a pond to mold on/in a chunk of cheese, it always goes the same way, and the fact that it does so is put to use every day by the people who are responsible for managing those populations.

And there is only one possible way to prevent it: introduce something which causes enough of the individuals in that population to die without producing enough offspring to replace themselves. However, every method of doing so among humans is either a pipe dream ("Just make everyone educated & rich, that'll do it!") or pretty horrific, so standard run-of-the-mill growth-until-resource-depletion it is.
Very odd that human population growth doesn't follow the model in all those biology texts. Population growth in the industrialized world has been defying your predictions for over 100 years now. Negative population growth in France before the first world war was cause for serious concern among the French Generals. Making people educated and rich isn't necessary, and no one actually advocates that. Making people educated and not poor is all that is needed, it seems.

Last edited by joesixpack; 11th November 2012 at 06:15 PM.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:50 PM   #21
Delvo
Illuminator

And there is only one possible way to prevent it: introduce something which causes enough of the individuals in that population to die without producing enough offspring to replace themselves.
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Very odd that human population growth doesn't follow the model in all those biology texts. Population growth in the industrialized world has been defying your predictions for over 100 years now. Negative population growth in France before the first world war was cause for serious concern among the French Generals.
Ya, because that part of what I wrote, and which you yourself included in a quote box before I just did it again here, wasn't really there at all.

Last edited by Delvo; 11th November 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11th November 2012, 06:50 PM   #22
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

This is wrong regarding humans and wrong regarding just about every species except maybe a few apex predators. Many, many factors influence population growth. Dismissing all of them except food supply is silly. The population of seals doesn't only depend on their food supply, but on the presence of killer whales. It doesn't matter how much food you give the seals if they're being eaten.

Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:05 PM   #23
joesixpack
Illuminator

Ya, because that part of what I wrote, and which you yourself included in a quote box before I just did it again here, wasn't really there at all.
Roll your eyes all you want, but I find it odd that you had to take your own quote out of context to rebut me. Here's the rest of your quote for you, which I "included in a quote box before I just did it again here" for you;

Quote:
However, every method of doing so among humans is either a pipe dream...or pretty horrific, so standard run-of-the-mill growth-until-resource-depletion it is
which is actually not the case, as I said already. Affluence lowers birthrates, and it doesn't require making everyone rich, it just requires making everyone not poor. Uncertainty about the prospects of survival drives birthrates up, stability and material security drives birthrates down..
Old 11th November 2012, 07:12 PM   #24
Delvo
Illuminator

And there is only one possible way to prevent it: introduce something which causes enough of the individuals in that population to die without producing enough offspring to replace themselves.
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
This is wrong regarding humans and wrong regarding just about every species except maybe a few apex predators. Many, many factors influence population growth. Dismissing all of them except food supply is silly. The population of seals doesn't only depend on their food supply, but on the presence of killer whales. It doesn't matter how much food you give the seals if they're being eaten.
Ya, because that part of my post, which both I and someone else have quoted now, wasn't really there.

Whenever you're all done pretending that I didn't already cover that, perhaps we could move along to exactly how to apply it to "(human) world hunger". What additional population-limiting factor shall we introduce to the parts of the world where this is a problem now, to counter the natural tendency for populations to grow if not prevented? The only one that's worked so far happened in places that didn't already have such a starvation problem at the time and had much lower population densities than places that are suffering now. What else does that leave? War? It tends to be rather troublesome and unpleasant, and it doesn't work; we've had lots and they didn't stop the growth. Plague? It tends to be rather troublesome and unpleasant, and it doesn't work; we've had lots and they didn't stop the growth. (And we aren't biologically able to create one anyway, although we might be someday.) Sterilization of some large fraction of the reproduction-age population? Nobody's going to try it, because it would be seen as a violation of people's right to contribute to overpopulation, and because enforcing it would require lots of violence against widespread passionate resistance. China-inspired (although stricter) reproduction limits? Nobody's going to try it, for the same reasons as with the last one.
Old 11th November 2012, 07:40 PM   #25
Cain
Straussian

I don't see the big deal. It's not like people are starving to death while others are stuffing their faces with ice cream.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:42 PM   #26
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Could you name the few exceptions. I assumed that humans were the pinnacle of apex predators.
Old 11th November 2012, 07:44 PM   #27
joesixpack
Illuminator

Ya, because that part of my post, which both I and someone else have quoted now, wasn't really there.
I covered this above, eye rolling and all.

Quote:
Whenever you're all done pretending that I didn't already cover that, perhaps we could move along to exactly how to apply it to "(human) world hunger". What additional population-limiting factor shall we introduce to the parts of the world where this is a problem now, to counter the natural tendency for populations to grow if not prevented? The only one that's worked so far happened in places that didn't already have such a starvation problem at the time and had much lower population densities than places that are suffering now.
Which one is that again? I don't believe you mentioned it
Quote:
What else does that leave? War? It tends to be rather troublesome and unpleasant, and it doesn't work; we've had lots and they didn't stop the growth. Plague? It tends to be rather troublesome and unpleasant, and it doesn't work; we've had lots and they didn't stop the growth. (And we aren't biologically able to create one anyway, although we might be someday.) Sterilization of some large fraction of the reproduction-age population? Nobody's going to try it, because it would be seen as a violation of people's right to contribute to overpopulation, and because enforcing it would require lots of violence against widespread passionate resistance. China-inspired (although stricter) reproduction limits? Nobody's going to try it, for the same reasons as with the last one.
How about the ones that have already been shown to work?

Last edited by joesixpack; 11th November 2012 at 07:46 PM.
joesixpack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:46 PM   #28
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't see the big deal. It's not like people are starving to death while others are stuffing their faces with ice cream.
How could you see anything past all those kittens?
Old 11th November 2012, 08:03 PM   #29
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

Could you name the few exceptions. I assumed that humans were the pinnacle of apex predators.

There's no doubt we lucked out when we spun the evolution wheel, but we are not descendants of predators. Our natural state is that of scavenger and hider.

Lions, the American cheetah, orcas, black bears, wolves, raptors (the birds) - I think these are your typical apex predators.

Of course, over a very short period of time, we've virtually freed ourselves from predation. On the other hand, we also greenlit "Freddie Got Fingered," so it's kind of a mixed bag.

Old 11th November 2012, 08:20 PM   #30
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

There's no doubt we lucked out when we spun the evolution wheel, but we are not descendants of predators. Our natural state is that of scavenger and hider.

Lions, the American cheetah, orcas, black bears, wolves, raptors (the birds) - I think these are your typical apex predators.

Of course, over a very short period of time, we've virtually freed ourselves from predation. On the other hand, we also greenlit "Freddie Got Fingered," so it's kind of a mixed bag.
I am confused. Does the definition of predator include that the species depends solely on predation?
Old 12th November 2012, 08:42 AM   #31
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

angrysoba, the tools necessary to significantly reduce world population are very available. There are many of them. The problem with using them is one of getting a good sense of the short, medium, and long term impact of so doing. (I do not refer to nuclear weapons. There are a wide variety of ways to ensure massive die offs will be more, not less, common in the next generation.)

who is willing to apply such measures?
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 09:18 AM   #32
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Same here. In the end I looked it up in dictionary.com. It's rare that I come across a word I've never seen before.
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:04 PM   #33
schplurg
Graduate Poster

Don't know how to embed a video.

Sam Kinison had the answer to world hunger decades ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN7ehccspao

ETA: not safe for work

Last edited by schplurg; 23rd November 2012 at 03:05 PM.
schplurg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 01:10 PM   #34
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

http://www.worldometers.info/
Old 16th December 2012, 01:23 PM   #35
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Debates were held on this in the 70s -- if you pour food into a starving region, which is also usually a pre-industrialized area where people breed like rabbits instead of nice western 2.1 kids per, you just set yourself up for an inevitable worse famin some years down the road.

Feel free to pretend the effect doesn't exist.

The real solution is to save lives and end warlordism, or dictatorship, at the same time. This should increase stability and thus econmic dynamism, reducing problems of want in the future.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 03:55 PM   #36
GlennB
Cereal pedant

This. I don't know if it's too late to nominate, but never mind that.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 05:28 PM   #37
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It was ignorant self-serving theories like this that lead to the rise of work houses. One of the aims of these institutions was to prevent the poor from breeding like rabbits and competing with the rich for scarce resources.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 08:32 AM   #38
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It was ignorant self-serving theories like this that lead to the rise of work houses. One of the aims of these institutions was to prevent the poor from breeding like rabbits and competing with the rich for scarce resources.
Yeah, I still don't understand what's going on in places like Japan. Somehow, the population is now in decline and much of Western Europe has fertility rates that are set to put the population in decline before long. This, apparently, goes for most of the world, in fact.
Old 17th December 2012, 08:35 AM   #39
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yeah, I still don't understand what's going on in places like Japan.
I am sure Delvo can explain it to you

He might even have an explanation to why Brazil's fertility rate went from about 6 children per woman in 1960 to 1.83 in 2010.
Old 17th December 2012, 08:46 AM   #40
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mark6 View Post
I am sure Delvo can explain it to you

He might even have an explanation to why Brazil's fertility rate went from about 6 children per woman in 1960 to 1.83 in 2010.
They ran out of food there. Hadn't you heard?

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events