JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 17th October 2012, 10:25 PM   #1
bit_pattern
Illuminator

So who uses Tapatalk for JREF?

My laptop died the other day & when I came to JREF I was informed it us Tapatalk compatible (TT is a cool a Android app that allows very functional access to forums on mobile devices).

I've been using TT on & off with another forum I frequent. Aside from the obvious downside of going from laptop to posting from a phone there's some features that seriously improve the forum experience that I prefer of the standard format.

I like how quickly things load & on forums with lots of sub categories it makes it much easier to navigate to particular boards.

Also the settings are more user friendly, i.e. setting up things like how many posts to display are much easier to find.

And despite lacking more advanced options (embedding videos or even using quote tags) the overall ease of tapping on the post to reply (as opposed to scrolling to the bottom of the post & finding the edit button - often resulting in a mistaken click on the quote button in my case.

So all in all its a good app. Is anyone else using it?

"In this political climate, all of science is vulnerable to ideological attack when reality disagrees with political beliefs."
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

Tapatalk is one of the first Android apps I ever paid for.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 12:55 PM   #3
AvalonXQ

I use it for iPhone. Very convenient.
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Skwinty
Philosopher

I use it on Blackberry Torch.

I think it is pretty good.

What is reality? Nothing but a collective hunch.
--Lily Tomlin
Skwinty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 01:21 PM   #5
AdMan
Philosopher

I bought it and use it on both my iPhone and Android tablet. It's a very good app and worth the price.
Old 18th October 2012, 04:43 PM   #6
AvalonXQ

Tapatalk has some flaws. For example, it doesn't deal with the ignore list as well as I'd like.
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 04:46 PM   #7
LibraryLady
...but not JUST a LibraryLady

It's pretty comfortable to use and organizes the threads well .
Old 18th October 2012, 05:03 PM   #8
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AvalonXQ View Post
Tapatalk has some flaws. For example, it doesn't deal with the ignore list as well as I'd like.
That's a good point. I ended taking a couple of people off ignore for that reason. On another forum I use where ignored members don't even show up in quotes it was a bit of a shock to see a bunch of people showing up in threads who for all intents & purposes had disappeared from my life

"In this political climate, all of science is vulnerable to ideological attack when reality disagrees with political beliefs."
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 08:51 PM   #9
mactonite
Critical Thinker

I use it and think it's great for on the go.
Old 18th October 2012, 08:53 PM   #10
devnull
Philosopher

I'm using it right now
Old 19th October 2012, 02:27 AM   #11
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

I use it on my iPad when I don't have access to my normal systems. Like on holiday.

I like it.
Blue Bubble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I use it on the Android. I think it's all right.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2012, 11:34 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I use it on Android. I wish more of the forums I followed supported it.

It's not as featureful as a browser-based app with a proper mouse and keyboard, but it's great for when I need my hourly fix of bias and contrarianism, but am not near a computer. :P
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 11:06 AM   #14
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I never use ignore lists on BBSs -- it reeks of being scared of someone's opinion, which in turn suggests your own may not be as solid as you think.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 11:14 AM   #15
Tanja
Comfortably Numb

I used Tapatalk on my iPhone for a while, but I didn't like it. I actually prefer to look at the forum in Safari. Call me weird...
I haven't checked for more than a year what the forum looks like on Tapatalk, so this may not be the case anymore, but I recall it did not have the option to go to the first new post in a thread, which is how I usually access threads.
Tanja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 11:47 AM   #16
Hellbound
Abiogenic Spongiform

Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
I used Tapatalk on my iPhone for a while, but I didn't like it. I actually prefer to look at the forum in Safari. Call me weird...
I haven't checked for more than a year what the forum looks like on Tapatalk, so this may not be the case anymore, but I recall it did not have the option to go to the first new post in a thread, which is how I usually access threads.
My thoughts exactly. Tried it, was immediately disappointed that the "first new post" option wasn't available....tried to give it a go anyway...nope. Not any more convenient than just using the browser.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Dessi
Species Traitor

Posting from it right now. Its definitely renders a lot faster than using the phone's browser.

I just checked, and it currently does have the "jump to first unread post" option on my Android phone.

Last edited by Dessi; 24th October 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Dessi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 08:41 PM   #18
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
You can change the settings to land on first unread, mine works like that

Old 24th October 2012, 09:00 PM   #19
joobie
i don't care

i used it for a while under ios5 but after a couple weeks it broke and wouldn't skip ahead to the first unread post in a topic, making it totally useless for me.
Old 25th October 2012, 06:31 AM   #20
Hellbound
Abiogenic Spongiform

Originally Posted by Dessi View Post
Posting from it right now. Its definitely renders a lot faster than using the phone's browser.

I just checked, and it currently does have the "jump to first unread post" option on my Android phone.
Originally Posted by bit_pattern View Post
You can change the settings to land on first unread, mine works like that
Hmmm, I may have to try it again, then...see if the changes made it any more useable for me.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2012, 07:07 AM   #21
AvalonXQ

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
I never use ignore lists on BBSs -- it reeks of being scared of someone's opinion, which in turn suggests your own may not be as solid as you think.
It helps if you're being trolled and want to focus on genuine discussion rather than losing your temper and flaming every few posts. I have one person on ignore for that reason.

Ignore blocks PMs, so it's also useful if people start PMing you insults and attacks after their posts insulting and attacking you are moved to AAH. I have one person on ignore for that reason.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:21 AM   #22
bit_pattern
Illuminator

So I've just realized that if you go into a thread via a main forum then it defaults to the first post in the thread. When I go to a participated or favourite thread it defaults yo last viewed

Old 7th November 2012, 05:59 AM   #23
carlitos
"ms divertido"

I like it. When you go to "latest" it takes you to latest unread in each subject.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2012, 03:04 PM   #24
Ashles
Pith Artist

Using it now. It's also useful at work if your company has *insert swearword* Websense.
Old 7th November 2012, 04:47 PM   #25
PetersCreek
Muse

I use Tapatalk on the iPhone for a handful of forums and overall, I quite like it. The first-unread feature doesn't work well for me, however. It (almost) invariably skips over quite a few unread posts, often to the latest post. On the other hand, I like being able to dictate my posts using Siri, rather than typing them on the virtual keyboard.
PetersCreek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:16 PM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ashles View Post
Using it now. It's also useful at work if your company has *insert swearword* Websense.
Point of order: My company has Websense, but doesn't block the JREF forums. Not only that, but in the past I have worked for Websense as a product support engineer. The product is infinitely configurable. Your swearing has nothing to do with Websense, and everything to do with your employer. Have you talked to your supervisor about your desire to browse the JREF forums from the company network? What did they say?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:06 PM   #27
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
. Have you talked to your supervisor about your desire to browse the JREF forums from the company network? What did they say?
"Get back to work, you freeloader!"

Old 15th November 2012, 06:37 AM   #28
Hellbound
Abiogenic Spongiform

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Point of order: My company has Websense, but doesn't block the JREF forums. Not only that, but in the past I have worked for Websense as a product support engineer. The product is infinitely configurable. Your swearing has nothing to do with Websense, and everything to do with your employer. Have you talked to your supervisor about your desire to browse the JREF forums from the company network? What did they say?
Just to second this, same situation here. Most likely their blocking anything that's a discussion forum, regardless of category.

Of course, in my case, I'm one of the admins for Websense, so I do have a slight advantage
Old 18th June 2013, 02:24 PM   #29
Acleron
Master Poster

I purchased it from Amazon for an Android Nexus 7 and had to change my system background to make it readable. The following day it insisted I had to be logged into my Amazon account before it would work so I uninstalled it, no loss really as Chrome is very usable on the Nexus.

Then saw the free offer yesterday so gave it another try. The UI had been improved a lot but the lack of rendering of bb codes is poor. Navigation wasn't that great but I put that down to unfamiliarity. Today, it totally rejected a post so into the bin with it again. I imagine with a smaller screen it is more useful than a web browser but I prefer that on this device.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2013, 02:52 PM   #30
BowlOfRed
Muse

Originally Posted by Acleron View Post
I purchased it from Amazon for an Android Nexus 7 and had to change my system background to make it readable. The following day it insisted I had to be logged into my Amazon account before it would work...
I think that's true of all apps you purchase from the Amazon store.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2013, 03:08 PM   #31
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Acleron View Post
I purchased it from Amazon for an Android Nexus 7 and had to change my system background to make it readable. The following day it insisted I had to be logged into my Amazon account before it would work so I uninstalled it, no loss really as Chrome is very usable on the Nexus.

Then saw the free offer yesterday so gave it another try. The UI had been improved a lot but the lack of rendering of bb codes is poor. Navigation wasn't that great but I put that down to unfamiliarity. Today, it totally rejected a post so into the bin with it again. I imagine with a smaller screen it is more useful than a web browser but I prefer that on this device.
As BowlOfRed said, that's a symptom of using Amazon. I have a pretty simple policy when it comes to buying from Amazon's app store: If it's not free (compared to Google Play) or exclusive, I don't bother. It inserts an extra, unnecessary step to installing/reinstalling/using apps that I don't need.

Yeah, the lack of bb code rendering is unfortunate (and I don't understand it), but I haven't had any other significant problems with it. I find the navigation so significantly improved over the web version that I won't visit non-Tapatalk fora on my Nexus 7. I don't know what happened with the post you say it rejected, but I haven't had any similar issue.
Old 19th June 2013, 01:09 PM   #32
Morrigan
Crone of War

Can anyone explain to me what it does, exactly? It renders forums (some, not all) in mobile-friendly skins, or what?
curi0us Many kids grow up in environments where if the worse thing they had to deal with was a pervy gym teacher wanting to **** them they would considere themselves to be privileged and living the good life.
bigred homophobes are not nearly as widespread or common as the oh-woe-are-the-poor-oppressed-gays whiners would have you believe.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2013, 01:23 PM   #33
Darat
Lackey
JREF Forum Liaison

Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Can anyone explain to me what it does, exactly? It renders forums (some, not all) in mobile-friendly skins, or what?
The forum has to install a module and then someone using the Tapatalk app can access the forum through that app. In a way it is a "mobile-friendly skin" with lots of the extraneous bits and pieces removed and what I think is most important - the text is rendered at a consistent and readable size.

The latest version really is a big improvement, there is still some awkwardness in the consistency of the navigation. For example on Android sometimes you have to use the system back button and the app's own back button to move back and its not always clear which to use.
Old 19th June 2013, 01:38 PM   #34
Startz
Critical Thinker

I have used the iPhone version quite happily for some time.
Startz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2013, 01:39 PM   #35
Darat
Lackey
JREF Forum Liaison

Here's how this page looks on my tablet in Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371674386014.jpg (57.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 19th June 2013, 03:15 PM   #36
Morrigan
Crone of War

Interesting. I saw the message saying it was now free and went to install it, but I hesitated cause the app page wasn't too clear on what it'd do and I wasn't sure I had a use for it. But your post actually described it better, so I've installed it, and after a few tests it seems like a decent app.

I might install a plugin on my own forum, since it supports phpBB. From the forum owner POV, it sure beats having to do an entire mobile-friendly skin.
curi0us Many kids grow up in environments where if the worse thing they had to deal with was a pervy gym teacher wanting to **** them they would considere themselves to be privileged and living the good life.
bigred homophobes are not nearly as widespread or common as the oh-woe-are-the-poor-oppressed-gays whiners would have you believe.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2013, 03:39 PM   #37
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The latest version really is a big improvement, there is still some awkwardness in the consistency of the navigation. For example on Android sometimes you have to use the system back button and the app's own back button to move back and its not always clear which to use.
They seem to be having trouble adapting to the Android 4+ system. Unfortunately, even Google's own Currents app has similar issues where the "system back button" and the "app-specific back button" work very differently depending on some context that I as a user have a hard time figuring out.

That said, I've had a little less trouble with the current version of Tapatalk, in that I haven't recently ended up at the forum select screen unexpectedly.
Old 19th June 2013, 08:05 PM   #38
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
As BowlOfRed said, that's a symptom of using Amazon. I have a pretty simple policy when it comes to buying from Amazon's app store: If it's not free (compared to Google Play) or exclusive, I don't bother. It inserts an extra, unnecessary step to installing/reinstalling/using apps that I don't need.

Yeah, the lack of bb code rendering is unfortunate (and I don't understand it), but I haven't had any other significant problems with it. I find the navigation so significantly improved over the web version that I won't visit non-Tapatalk fora on my Nexus 7. I don't know what happened with the post you say it rejected, but I haven't had any similar issue.
It is the only app I've bought from Amazon, but from what you both say, there won't be another one.

It suddenly claimed I didn't have permission to post. Never seen that in a browser and in Chrome, immediately afterwards, had no trouble posting.

I'm sure my other difficulties are down to lack of familiarity with it but as I have no problems with the web display I just don't think it is worth investing any more than a few minutes with it, although I could see a benefit on a smaller screen.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2013, 08:28 PM   #39
AdMan
Philosopher

Tapatalk is great for a small screen, like on my iPhone.

On my iPad, even though I've got Tapatalk installed, I much prefer the web interface.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2013, 08:33 PM   #40
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Word to the wise. Tapatalk does not understand spoiler tags. So if you're in a thread that routinely has spoilers, you might want to avoid those threads until you can get back in a browser.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet