JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 11th November 2012, 04:12 PM   #1
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

Vatican pledges to continue campaign of homophobia and bigotry

http://www.examiner.com/article/vati...ia-and-bigotry

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def..._popeb%28f.jpg

Edited by LashL:  Removed hotlinked image. Please see Rule 5.

In opposition to justice, the Vatican will continue to fight against marriage equality. According to the Vatican, the Roman Catholic Church will continue their immoral campaign of bigotry and homophobia in an attempt to deny gay and lesbian individuals the right to same-sex marriage.

In two separate, strongly worded editorials this weekend, the Vatican reaffirmed the Roman Catholic Church's unequivocal opposition to marriage equality. Despite the recent moral progress of the West, the Catholic Church is determined to cling to their immoral and unjust homophobia and bigotry.

Last edited by LashL; 13th November 2012 at 08:25 AM.
bikerdruid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Vic Vega
Graduate Poster

And the number of Catholics will keep shrinking, so this isn't all bad news.

--Shakespeare - Macbeth
Vic Vega is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 04:39 PM   #3
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
And the number of Catholics will keep shrinking, so this isn't all bad news.
Or it could be the way it is with Catholics and birth control, i.e. that the official position o the church will become less and less relevant vis-a-vis the real world. Eventually (though a long time down the road), I could see the papacy having the same impact of the real world that the English monarchs do.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
mutile
Muse

At least he is not being a hypocrite like Catholics who support marriage equality and use birth control while preaching to those that need it, not to use it. That is a whole other level of disgusting.

How about some criticism leveled at catholics, given that the majority are hypocrites at least the Pope is honestly following his beliefs, however misguided.
mutile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Originally Posted by mutile View Post
At least he is not being a hypocrite like Catholics who support marriage equality and use birth control while preaching to those that need it, not to use it. That is a whole other level of disgusting.

How about some criticism leveled at catholics, given that the majority are hypocrites at least the Pope is honestly following his beliefs, however misguided.
Some evidence, please?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:35 PM   #6
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Eventually (though a long time down the road), I could see the papacy having the same impact of the real world that the English British monarchs do.
FTFY.

But really, you think the Pope will become head of state of 15 other countries?
Old 11th November 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Some evidence, please?
Seems evident. When you call yourself Catholic, you should do as the Pope (or the Vatican) says. When you don't, you're a hypocrite.

So when you use birth control - which the Pope forbids - you're a hypocrite. Or when you're in favour of gay marriage - which the Pope condemns - you're a hypocrite. Simple as that. When you're honest, and you don't agree with the policies set out by the Catholic church, leave the church and find another Christian denomination which suits your convictions. With around 30,000 denominations, here's not exactly a lack of choice.
Old 11th November 2012, 06:44 PM   #8
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The vast majority of Catholics practice birth control with pills or condoms. I'd say that's evidence.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Visual Purple
Thinker

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Seems evident. When you call yourself Catholic, you should do as the Pope (or the Vatican) says. When you don't, you're a hypocrite.
Not if you're an open dissident, which is something that it actually makes sense to be if you believe that the church was founded by Jesus but corrupted by humans. If you're silent and let people think that you're following the line of Rome, that's fairly close to standard-issue hypocrisy.
Visual Purple is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:28 PM   #10
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Visual Purple View Post
Not if you're an open dissident, which is something that it actually makes sense to be if you believe that the church was founded by Jesus but corrupted by humans. If you're silent and let people think that you're following the line of Rome, that's fairly close to standard-issue hypocrisy.
Shouldn't you then rather become a member of the Hare Club for Men instead of the RCC? But yeah, I can think of at least one prominent Catholic who rejects about anything the RCC stands for - including transubstantiation and the divinity of Christ - and stil calls himself Catholic.
Old 11th November 2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Stomatopoda
Muse

Why not form a schism if you disagree with so much of what the church says? Laziness and/or not wanting to give up brand recognition, I suppose.

btw, is there a single photo anywhere of the current pope not looking sinister?
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 08:30 PM   #12
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo

Originally Posted by Stomatopoda View Post
nope...cuz he is.
Old 11th November 2012, 10:42 PM   #13
mutile
Muse

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church, if you do not follow the Pope's lead you are a hypocrite and if you financially support such a criminal organisation you are scum.
mutile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 10:46 PM   #14
mutile
Muse

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Some evidence, please?
Just to clarify, do you not accept that a majority of Catholics have used birth control?
Old 12th November 2012, 12:51 AM   #15
Susheel
Muse

Wanted to know that myself. I remember the previous pope in the early years at least looked cheerful, benign and fatherly. The present pope in almost every pic seems to look like some dark lord gleefully replaying in his mind some horrible torture that he presided over in some inquisitorial dungeon.
Old 12th November 2012, 01:18 AM   #16
Gazpacho
Master Poster

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church
I don't see how the dogma of papal infallibility is relevant here.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:07 AM   #17
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

What about spreading AIDS by opposing condom use and covering up the abuse of children? I assume these policies will continue also.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 02:16 AM   #18
mutile
Muse

Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
I don't see how the dogma of papal infallibility is relevant here.
The pope decides the values of catholics, if catholics use birth control they are hypocrites.

The pope speaks for God if you have a problem with his repugnant views, take it up with God.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:29 AM   #19
Gazpacho
Master Poster

The pope decides the values of catholics
He does, but generally not by infallibility.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:40 AM   #20
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Wanted to know that myself. I remember the previous pope in the early years at least looked cheerful, benign and fatherly. The present pope in almost every pic seems to look like some dark lord gleefully replaying in his mind some horrible torture that he presided over in some inquisitorial dungeon.
It's his misfortune to look almost exactly like Emperor Palpatine, even more so when he attempts to smile.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:43 AM   #21
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster

I look at the whole Gay Marriage Vs Religion thing this way:

Religion is a club, and they have many rules in their special club book. If you want to be in their club, you have to abide by their rules.

To be honest, Civil Partnerships are becoming more acceptable now anyway, so I donít really see a problem.

Going by the Christian special club book, I think itís much more hypocritical that the Pope isnít publically advocating stoning homosexuals to death anyway.

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 03:38 AM   #22
Aepervius
Philosopher

The pope decides the values of catholics, if catholics use birth control they are hypocrites.

The pope speaks for God if you have a problem with his repugnant views, take it up with God.
How do you call somebody which believe in everything catholic do, but refuse /or is not aware of) the dogma of papal infailibility ?

What is their religion ?

because if you say they are not catholic, then what are they ?

BTW from my experience it seems they are the majority around the "so called catholic" country I lived in. In fact I am pretty sure many catholic don't even know about this papal infailibility.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.

Last edited by Aepervius; 12th November 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 03:40 AM   #23
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church, if you do not follow the Pope's lead you are a hypocrite and if you financially support such a criminal organisation you are scum.
Papal infallibility is not really relevant here. The concept was only introduced in 1870, and has been used only once (and retrofitted a handful of times). The obvious problem (for the RCC) with papal infallibility is that once you've pronounced something article of fatih under infallibility, it stands for the rest of eternity. On other things, the Church can (eventually) backpedal.

What you're lookin for is papal supremacy.
Old 12th November 2012, 03:51 AM   #24
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
It's his misfortune to look almost exactly like Emperor Palpatine, even more so when he attempts to smile.
I think you're being very insulting to the Emperor.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 03:59 AM   #25
Soapy Sam
NLH

I'd settle for one in which he's not giving a Hitler salute.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 04:03 AM   #26
Craig4
Philosopher

Cherry picking what part of a religion you're going to follow is as old as religion itself. Why should Catholics have to follow the teachings anymore than any other religion?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 04:07 AM   #27
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Why not form a schism if you disagree with so much of what the church says? Laziness and/or not wanting to give up brand recognition, I suppose.
Do you refer to Huub Oosterhuis, or in general? Oosterhuis has enough "brand recognition" of himself, among both catholics and protestants, and he doesn't really tout that he's formally catholic. And you may read from the wiki page that the RCC kicked him out, at least as pastor, when he gave up celibacy. He simply continued to hold mass/service, outside the authority of the church.

But if you want to change the RCC from within, you run the risk of being dragged before the Inquisition - as happened with Schillebeeckx.
Old 12th November 2012, 05:41 AM   #28
P.J. Denyer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post

To be fair, he does a pretty good Gollum impression too.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 05:54 AM   #29
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Aepervius;8764203[HILITE
]How do you call somebody which believe in everything catholic do, but refuse /or is not aware of) the dogma of papal infailibility ? [/hilite]

What is their religion ?

because if you say they are not catholic, then what are they ?

BTW from my experience it seems they are the majority around the "so called catholic" country I lived in. In fact I am pretty sure many catholic don't even know about this papal infailibility.
Protestant.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 07:51 AM   #30
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Just to clarify, do you not accept that a majority of Catholics have used birth control?
I know that the majority of American Catholics use or have used contraceptives. I also know that the great majority of American Catholics also say that they have no moral objections to the use of contraception. So your assertion that the majority of Catholics use birth control methods while telling others that they shouldn't do so is simply not true.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 08:02 AM   #31
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church, if you do not follow the Pope's lead you are a hypocrite...
It is a dogma that is far from universally accepted, having even been disputed by a number of popes. So a Catholic who doesn't follow the pope's lead is not a hypocrite, but rather someone who thinks that the pope is wrong about something.

Quote:
...and if you financially support such a criminal organisation you are scum.
So my wife, who has donated money to her parish because they are actively working to improve the lives of the poor who live in the surrounding area, is "scum", is she?

How's this for a blanket assertion? If you make extremely insulting generalizations about millions of people based on your own smug arrogance, ignorance and anger, then you are a small-minded bigot and a fool.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:04 AM   #32
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
I think you're being very insulting to the Emperor.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65.../poperor-1.gif
Heretics! There is only one emperor. The God Emperor of Mankind, and his chosen sons, the Primarchs of the Space Marines.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:05 AM   #33
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Ironically, you seem to be just as determined to tell Catholics what they think as the pope is.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:10 AM   #34
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by ddt View Post

So when you use birth control - which the Pope forbids - you're a hypocrite. Or when you're in favour of gay marriage - which the Pope condemns - you're a hypocrite. Simple as that. When you're honest, and you don't agree with the policies set out by the Catholic church, leave the church and find another Christian denomination which suits your convictions. With around 30,000 denominations, here's not exactly a lack of choice.
People work for change from within. Ever hear of the Log Cabin Republicans?

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 08:33 AM   #35
paiute
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bikerdruid View Post
Viral marketing for Star Wars VII started already?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 08:43 AM   #36
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

The pope speaks for God, if you have a problem with his repugnant views, take it up with God.
"ex cathedra"... those statements made with that imprint are infallible. Without it, any statements are not binding as the word of god.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 08:47 AM   #37
Craig4
Philosopher

Odd the righteous indignation does not appear to extend to their employees who have been buggering the children in the flock. They just get transferred.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 08:56 AM   #38
The Shrike
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
People work for change from within.
That's why I stuck with the Church for years longer than I should have.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 08:58 AM   #39
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Protestant.
Nope. Transubstantiation, the saint, the virginity of mary and many other detail make them explicitely NOT protestant.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 09:06 AM   #40
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
People work for change from within. Ever hear of the Log Cabin Republicans?
Yes. Those are the people who want that the party that now caters to the Jim Crow-crowd moves back in the direction of the spirit of Abe Lincoln, right?

Care to name a movement of people within the RCC that works for change within? I wouldn't know. We had ẗhe "Eight of May Movement", but they disbanded themselves because most of their members had left the church, disillusioned. The RCC is a highly undemocratic organisation where policy is made by the Pope and a handful of cardinals. You better watch paint dry than that the RCC changes - correction, it has changed since Vatican II, but back in time, not in the direction society moves.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy